• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So Rams have Southern Districts, Penrith, West Harbour, Manly, Eastwood and Parramatta (6 clubs) to draw from, while Rays now only have Gordon, Norths and Warringah to draw from.

Interesting development....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I suspect with the (rapid) decline of professional super rugby more clubs are becoming more interested in the NRC to take up fans lost to super rugby who want to watch higher level above club rugby (those who don't otherwise watch club rugby or those who watch club rugby but also watch higher level rugby)....hence the about turn of Eastwood etc.

In many ways this could be good for getting more support for a national domestic competition (like the NRC).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So, Pappy is still inside the tent pissing. I'm standing near the door with an umbrella in case he decides to get flexible.

Now we're adding Manly to the mix. Probably not a bad idea as we have the historical connection (i.e. Saint Wycliff of Palu) but the NRC is now starting to get weird.

T

TOCC

If the Greater Sydney Rams receive the unanimous backing of all the Shute Shield Clubs can they be promoted to Super Rugby in place of the Waratahs?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So, Pappy is still inside the tent pissing. I'm standing near the door with an umbrella in case he decides to get flexible.

Bloke this stuff just leaves me confused. An ex-pat Qld-er in Sydney looking for a home. Have been for 7 years. Love the stuff you do in Subbies and the whole subbies world btw.

I find myself constantly reacting in a way that has rusted on rugger diehards like you shaking your heads. And I';m left thinking wtf?

OK so I clearly don't understand the history (bit like why I didn't get why pretty much the whole of SRU instantly decided my last home team, Stars, was instantly the most hated in Sydney due to the Uni connection). So what is Papworth doing that is pissing inside the tent? Te be honest I'm still looking for statements from Eastwood/Rams so I take the news reels at face value.

Now Sydney-siders are doing hand gestures that simulate the "mark of the beast" because Marlins are on board.

wtf? Can someone explain it in simple language that a dopey ex-Qlder will follow?

Me, I've not been this excited since the Stars were announced.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So what is Papworth doing that is pissing inside the tent?

Maybe he meant Pappy is inside the Rams tent, pissing OUT (for now).

I seem to recall that Papworth was a proponent for a West Sydney franchise in Super Rugby a while back. So he is capable of thinking beyond Eastwood.

However there are lot of self-interested parties in Sydney rugby circles and far be from it for me to say Pappy is suddenly above all that.

Hence, I guess, Pfitzy's umbrella.

Obviously the best result for NRC supporters, including those of the Rams, is for these "self interests" to be broadly aligned with interests of the NRC clubs.

Better to have them in the tent pissing out than vice versa. But we'll see.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Bloke this stuff just leaves me confused. An ex-pat Qld-er in Sydney looking for a home. Have been for 7 years. Love the stuff you do in Subbies and the whole subbies world btw.

I find myself constantly reacting in a way that has rusted on rugger diehards like you shaking your heads. And I';m left thinking wtf?

OK so I clearly don't understand the history (bit like why I didn't get why pretty much the whole of SRU instantly decided my last home team, Stars, was instantly the most hated in Sydney due to the Uni connection). So what is Papworth doing that is pissing inside the tent? Te be honest I'm still looking for statements from Eastwood/Rams so I take the news reels at face value.

Now Sydney-siders are doing hand gestures that simulate the "mark of the beast" because Marlins are on board.

wtf? Can someone explain it in simple language that a dopey ex-Qlder will follow?

Me, I've not been this excited since the Stars were announced.

The supposed Manly alignment is just an odd one for a NRC franchise that is supposed to represent the 'Western' half of the city.

But then again. So is having the team based in an area many from the city's west wouldn't consider as part of the broader region.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Maybe he meant Pappy is inside the Rams tent, pissing OUT (for now).

I seem to recall that Papworth was a proponent for a West Sydney franchise in Super Rugby a while back. So he is capable of thinking beyond Eastwood.

However there are lot of self-interested parties in Sydney rugby circles and far be from it for me to say Pappy is suddenly above all that.

Hence, I guess, Pfitzy's umbrella.

Obviously the best result for NRC supporters, including those of the Rams, is for these "self-interests" to be broadly aligned with interests of the NRC clubs.

Better to have them in the tent pissing out than vice versa. But we'll see.

Maybe the Eastwood buy in is Papworth and Co. acknowledgement that the NRC is the best way forward toward a domestic competition not the old club line. Which is true.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe the Eastwood buy in is Papworth and Co. acknowledgement that the NRC is the best way forward toward a domestic competition not the old club line. Which is true.
Papworth always believed that the ARU were being parasites in getting the 4th tier to fund the 3rd tier, to generate players for the tiers above.

With possible significant changes to the 2nd tier on the horizon, the reasons for participating in the 3rd tier are more convincing than before.

It shows that he hasn't got his head in the sand about the best way to advance the game in the future.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I'm not sure that Papworth having some skin in the game is necessarily the same as acknowledgement of the NRC. But it's a good enough start for someone like me to get on board.

I'm just a bit buzzed out that there is so much antipathy.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure that Papworth having some skin in the game is necessarily the same as acknowledgement of the NRC. But it's a good enough start for someone like me to get on board.

I'm just a bit buzzed out that there is so much antipathy.

I'm happy for the Rams gaining added strength. Just I'm not overly pleased about all their games being annexed in the NW of the city. Particularly as I live in Camden.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Papworth always believed that the ARU were being parasites in getting the 4th tier to fund the 3rd tier, to generate players for the tiers above.

With possible significant changes to the 2nd tier on the horizon, the reasons for participating in the 3rd tier are more convincing than before.

It shows that he hasn't got his head in the sand about the best way to advance the game in the future.

The ARU didn't get the 4th tier to fund the NRC. They gave the clubs the option to fund a franchise in it. They chose to invest. No one held a gun to their heads. The funding for the actual competition comes from the broadcast deal with Foxtel. It's no secret. It's all on public record.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
yes,it is on the public record.
4 of the NRC teams were funded by SS clubs on inception.

The actual point being made was that Eastwood chose not to invest, when it was clear that the ARU & the Super clubs would be the beneficiaries, without incurring any of the costs.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
4 of the NRC teams were funded by SS clubs on inception.
All except the Rays were largely funded outside of the SS.

But I digress. No one is denying Shute clubs invested in all four teams.

The point is it was their free choice.

And as you already note, some clubs chose not join.