• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

dru

Tim Horan (67)
yes,it is on the public record.
4 of the NRC teams were funded by SS clubs on inception.

The actual point being made was that Eastwood chose not to invest, when it was clear that the ARU & the Super clubs would be the beneficiaries, without incurring any of the costs.

It is interesting. In Qld the QPR teams advised "no" very early and led to QRU/Reds investing in two teams. Seems to have worked well on the whole.

My read, nothing in this other an interest in following it, is that Papworth and his SRU cohorts wanted a third tier, or at least quasi pro Rugby, that did in deed feature the SRU clubs. They just didn't like that what was offered was ARU driven not SS club driven.

Over 2017, the question being asked in "who do you want to run xyz level of the game":
a) the ARU
b) anyone, just anyone else
c) the SRU

Option a) is at nadir. Option b) is steadily growing. Option c) comes with the most proven admin to any rugby comp in Aus, it isn't perfect, it has frequently been somewhat navel-gazing, but the most effective in the country.

I very much hope something comes out of the Woodies and Marlins link up for the NRC.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
All except the Rays were largely funded outside of the SS.

But I digress. No one is denying Shute clubs invested in all four teams.

The point is it was their free choice.

And as you already note, some clubs chose not join.

Only five commited to them financially. Being the Rays group and Uni.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
yes,it is on the public record.
4 of the NRC teams were funded by SS clubs on inception.

The actual point being made was that Eastwood chose not to invest, when it was clear that the ARU & the Super clubs would be the beneficiaries, without incurring any of the costs.

No. Norths, Manly, Gordon and Warringah invested financially into the Rays. Uni invested financially into the Stars. The Wicks and East aligned themselves with Country as need the 'western' clubs with the Rams. All as non-financial minority shareholders.

Eastwood elected not to do either but supported their players seeking opportunities.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
WTF is a non financial minority shareholder?
You clearly don't understand what you are talking about.

Anyway, time to move on, the landscape has changed, and might change dramatically in the next few years.

It's looking like the Rams will be the most likely of the Sydney teams this year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Without quoting all of Dru's post, I wonder exactly who is the SRU these days?

Cannot find it on google. Neither the ARU nor the NSWRU sites mention the SRU?

Does it exist?

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WTF is a non financial minority shareholder?
You clearly don't understand what you are talking about.

Anyway, time to move on, the landscape has changed, and might change dramatically in the next few years.

It's looking like the Rams will be the most likely of the Sydney teams this year.

You are aware you can invest in ventures in more ways than just financially, right?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You are aware you can invest in ventures in more ways than just financially, right?
I understand that concept pretty well thanks, surprisingly, it contradicts many earlier posts you have made,suggesting that SS clubs added little to NRC teams.

Any reason you neglected to expand on your definition of what a non financial minority shareholder might be?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I understand that concept pretty well thanks, surprisingly, it contradicts many earlier posts you have made,suggesting that SS clubs added little to NRC teams.

Any reason you neglected to expand on your definition of what a non financial minority shareholder might be?

I've been pretty consistent about which clubs have contributed to which NRC teams financially. Simple facts are of the 12 5 have done so and they have done so of their own accord.

As for the further definition. Well, capital doesn't always come in the form of monetary value.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I've been pretty consistent about which clubs have contributed to which NRC teams financially. Simple facts are of the 12 5 have done so and they have done so of their own accord.

As for the further definition. Well, capital doesn't always come in the form of monetary value.
I don't think you have a clue about who,and how much they each invested in each of the franchises.

My recollection was the SS clubs were bought out/ withdrew from the Rams franchise as shareholders after the first year?

Again,I understand what capital is, what I don't understand is what an non financial minority shareholder is, maybe nobody does?
Obviously you don't either :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Google it and it doesn't exist!!! Weird. Neither the ARU nor the NSWRU seems to recognise it.

Good heavens, how can anything exist without being on google?

The SRU don't have a website and other than mandatory affiliation requirements, they have little to do with either the ARU or the NSWRU. One suspects that this is one of the secrets to their success.

The SRU have a fairly simple structure - the 12 club presidents meet to decide things and elect a President and Vice President plus one other of the club presidents to act as a sort of excecutive to make decisions between meetings. It's a remarkably simple and efficient system of administration and is responsive to the needs of the clubs involved. I would at this point note the contrast to the bloated, inefficient and unresponsive adminstrations at the ARU and the NSWRU.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A very simple and efficient system which has virtually no responsibilities, no legal standing, and no accountability except to themselves.

You are easily impressed, QH.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A very simple and efficient system which has virtually no responsibilities, no legal standing, and no accountability except to themselves.

They are accountable to their members, all the clubs are legal entities and are thus bound by the corporations law and they seem to be fulfilling their responsibilities to run a successful rugby competition far better than others in this country.

You seem far more impressed by who runs these bodies (i.e. corporate high-flyers) than you are by the results that these bodies achieve. Perhaps it is you who are easily impressed by those who you may consider to be your superiors?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

You think they should be impeaching Trump or disarming North Korea?
It's the SRU FFS.

Most fair minded people would acknowledge that they are administering their particular part of the Rugby world a lot more professionally than the professionals they are affiliated with, despite having nowhere near the same resources.

Edit: Sorry I just realised this is way off topic, I'll look to move it to the right thread.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Bloke this stuff just leaves me confused. An ex-pat Qld-er in Sydney looking for a home. Have been for 7 years. Love the stuff you do in Subbies and the whole subbies world btw.

Cheers.

OK so I clearly don't understand the history (bit like why I didn't get why pretty much the whole of SRU instantly decided my last home team, Stars, was instantly the most hated in Sydney due to the Uni connection). So what is Papworth doing that is pissing inside the tent? Te be honest I'm still looking for statements from Eastwood/Rams so I take the news reels at face value.

I've got no problem with the Marlins being on the wagon - fail to understand how it works in a territorial sense, but they're big boys so I guess they'll figure it out.

What I'm wary of is Pappy.

He had the world's longest pre-menstrual episode over the NRC to begin with, and refused to be part of it as Head Honcho at Eastwood.

Now, maybe that's because he wasn't given the old RnT when the Rams came together. Entirely possible as they were independently funded, with an aim to help Western Sydney form a bit of rugby identity.

Maybe he was just biding his time until the owners did their dough and decided it was the way forward (as others have said).

Perhaps, with the recent clusterfuck that is the ARU administration, Pappy sees a way to make something out of this in the affluent Northwest* of Sydney while Eastwood make plans to vacate TG Millner.

That will remain to be seen. I'd love for them to set up somewhere near us to help get some focus on rugby in what is a big growth corridor in Sydney.

With enough meal vouchers from the pub, I might poach a few players.

* "Northwest" meaning "exclusively the place where enough private school boys can congregate to support rugby in a region undergoing rapid demographic change"

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thanks Pfitzy. I'm guessing then that "pissing in the tent" is concern rather than something he has done yet. And I would echo annoyance if that happens. For now though, I seem to have found an NRC club after Pulver killed the Stars.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
"Players and coaches from Shute Shield competition leaders Manly are expected to link with the Eastwood controlled Greater Sydney Rams in the 2017 National Rugby Championship."

Bit rich to refer to the Rams as "Eastwood controlled". Eastwood have taken up NO equity in the Rams JV and have contributed nothing else since the start of the NRC. WTF is Papworth up to? On another level it's a shame the Marlins are abandoning their northern Sydney brothers, the Rays were one of the best organised (and successful) teams in both the ARC and the NRC.