• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What happened to MATILDA, has she gone waltzing elswwhere?

• Thread starter Public-School-Rugby-Fan
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Public-School-Rugby-Fan

What happened top AUSSIE RUGBY FANS? Once we used to get up and sing our team to victory with a loud and proud rendetion to WALTZING MATILDA. I for one will be at the Wallabys v Boks at Suncorp on the 24th of July trying to revive this modern tradition! Who else get loud and proud this coming TRI-NATIONS?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What happened top AUSSIE RUGBY FANS? Once we used to get up and sing our team to victory with a loud and proud rendetion to WALTZING MATILDA. I for one will be at the Wallabys v Boks at Suncorp on the 24th of July trying to revive this modern tradition! Who else get loud and proud this coming TRI-NATIONS?

It was great the first few times it happened kind of spontaneously - I remember being at Homebush in 1999 with 108,000 others for the ABs v Wallabies match (28-7 to us). Awesome. For the years after that it became cringeworthy as some miked up guy wandered out on the field warbling away. It's hardly a haka! Eventually I found it as noxious as the ridiculous music they blare at you at every Tahs match.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

there you go. I bolded the most relevant part. We did it once. Every other time was kind of...meh.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
This reminds, though, that Langthorne and I are supposed to be writing a rugby anthem. Couldn't get anyone to write the lyrics.

Do you want to have a go, J the P?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suggested that all G&GR members at the Wobs V Boks match this weekend break into song in the 16th minute.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

there you go. I bolded the most relevant part. We did it once. Every other time was kind of...meh.

A good song when you have a belly full of grog however..... not one to sing in front of the sheep shaggers.

A tramp at a waterhole shoving a sheep into his tuckerbag for what purpose ? --- The ice could be a bit thin here.

We do need a new song, particularly one we can all sing after victory in the changing rooms like the AFL Clubs.

Any suggestions?

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Most of the AFL anthems are other countries national anthems. For example the Brisbane Lions anthem is the French national anthem. I used to work for a ringtone company, and the only way we could get around paying the afl thousands of dollars was to advertise them as National Anthems/AFL Teams.

George

Frank Nicholson (4)
Have been wondering for a while about the lack of intensity not from the players this time, but from the crowd. Was at the Ireland game and the Irish supporters were amazing, definitely outenthused the Aus crowd. Why is it we sit, not proudly and loud in Gold, but donned in black coats with a dribble of gold over shoulders aka the scarf politely clapping? The guy who ran on the field at the end of the Ireland game got a more rousing cheer from the crowd than throughout the game, I guess it could have been the Irish once again. (Thinking he ran further than any of the Aus backline that night!!!)
And while on lack of atmosphere, why do we not utilise the Try/No Try technology? Disappointed when at the few Reds/Wallabies games I actually attend (damn distance) I have to look for the little guy to put his hand up and award the try. Would love to be able to respond like the League crowds do when the big green sign rolls around - only if in our favour of course!!

Status
Not open for further replies.