• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What position did/do you play?

What position do/did you play (most of the time)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I've been wondering what position everyone plays (or played). I get the impression that there are a lot of front rowers around, but it might just be that I pay more attention to the front rowers than the rest.

Although I have played almost every position at one stage or other, I was always really a prop (better at LHP, but did play THP too). Even though I haven't played in a while, I still look very much like a prop too.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Started off as a wing/fullback in under 9. Moved to the pack as a lock in under 10. Ended up as a prop by under 11. There was no where else to go after that, and I played loose head for the rest of my (un)illustrious career.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I played quite a few, but all of them very poorly. Starting at wing, moving to openside, then to outside, then to 12, which was my favourite. I achieved a lot more on the touch field than the rugby field.

My comeback rugby game a few years ago ended after 20 minutes with a busted acl.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Does 13 count as inside or outside? Inside, I suppose.

But my favourite year of rugby was my last - playing 6/7 for a country team, getting on the bus and travelling to towns with one pub and no hospital (a relevant omission on game day), taking 6 hours to drive home.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Played wing from u6 to u10 (mostly to get me out of the way, crying was the best part of my game) then moved to halfback by my mates dad, probably to toughen me up as a request from my old man.

Halfback all the way through high school

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I came from a house that didn't was any sport, my Uncle was big into league, I didn't even know rugby existed until High School, when my History teacher put a team together and asked me to play prop. I was always loose head. I joined a local club (there was only two in town, which have since merged to one) and played weekends. I started playing a bit of 8 aswell. country rugby is great, away games a bus trips, with big full eskies for the ride home.

I played a year after I moved to Brisbane (older and with kids), same positions.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I first played rugby when I moved from a public to a private school. Got thrown in the deep end in 16/b's when both our flyhalfs were injured. Played about 50 minutes of my worst football ever, against Barker. Almost threw in the towel but then I got given the usual route into squads- wing, then centre, and onwards from there.

Currently im making the switch from schoolboys rugby to seniors, and im trying to change from a centre (either one, 13/12) to a back rower.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I played almost every position on the field at one time or other - except 2nd row.
But the forward stuff never counted as it was only ever 1 game, or even half a game to fill in for someone.
Mainly played 10,12, 13 and wing, but favourite place was 12 by far.

T

TOCC

I started off at lock in, i played a 2 seasons on the wing and actually got top try scorer for Sunnybank in that year. However the bulk was back on following that and i shifted back to prop.

I got fat in middle school and remained anchored at prop, made the 2nd XV in yr 11 and was subsequently picked in the development squad in the off season, trained 5 days a week over the christmas holidays and came back fit as hell, however i was now the lightest prop in the comp by at least 10kg. Left school played played prop in colts, won a premiership and then hung up my propping boots.

Im now a backrower, however due to a lack of props at my club the coach keeps glancing my way everytime they talk about who the reserve prop is.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I developed freakishly early so I played my first rugger in the 2nd row in year 9 (I would of been 14). They wanted to play me at 8 but I didn't have the ball skills or aggression.

Moved to prop the following year as I couldn't jump in line-outs (some coaches just won't have that). Played a bit of both sides and settled on tight-head.

The following year (year 11) I was playing 1st XV for my school I was close to the smallest prop in the comp. My pedantic love of scrumming technique got me by. By year 12 I had mentally committed myself to a move to hooker but the coach wouldn't have it, I still played mostly TH.

It's my 2nd year of colts this year and I'm now basically a full-time hooker. That is to say I played it all last year. However coach has decided our propping depth is poor so whenever one get's hurt I have to occasionally play a full game at prop, often giving away 20-30kg to other props. Good fun.

Well, that's my life story. Hope you like it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Started as a backrower at 8, moved to be the standard skinny lock, playing 2 in the lineout for a few years, then grew shoulders and moved to LHP at 17, then Colts and a bit of grade and subbies before finding many better things to do on Saturday night and skiing.

Too slow to play backrow, too short for lock at 6ft,not prepared to hit the gym and put on the 15kgs needed to have a real chance in grade.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
played most of my life as prop. A little bit of lock on occasions. After school played a tincy bit hooker. Gravated myself to the backrow at times too and had 3 or 4 appearances in the centres where I was Lloyd Walker-esque.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I only ever played in the tight 5. Started in second row and moved to the front row but did alternate back and forth from time to time. I was a little too tall for the front row and a little too short for the 2nd row and had no interest in playing elsewhere.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Way too many fatties around here.

After being a fullback at school I went on to earn the prestigious title of fattest/slowest winger in Subbies. Played 10 last year but now enjoying semi retirement.

R

rugbywhisperer

Most of my life I played second row, back row or outside back (t'was a bit on the quick side).
However as my girth enlarged and my strength dictated I moved forward. My favorite position was as a prop, TH or LH didnt matter back then as pulling, pushing, dipping, lifting, facial rearrangement and stiff uppercuts were all if not allowable were accepted back then, along with long stud rucking of any player foolish enough to lie anywhere near the ball (this could solve some current problems but that's another topic).

It's a different life up front and totally enjoyable as it's the only position your are in contact with your opponent and getting the upper hand is paramount. Funny though as a prop I was still one of the top speedsters at the club, but many if mot most props have that capacity (fast twich muscles and all that stuff). Once you go forward there is no going back.

A

AIDAN

started on the wing and outside centre. made the transition into scrum half in my last few seasons

D

daz

Grew up as a VFL/AFL boy in WA, but moved east and converted accordingly. Played a few games at lock during my army career, then spent many years working in Thailand. Got involved with the social ex-pat team there and played a handful of incredibly forgettable games, again at lock. I think they were relieved when I became a full time beer quaffer on the sidelines, even though playing numbers were down... :lmao:

For me, rugby was all about the touring! Being based in Thailand, the tours were immense; Manilla, Hong Kong, Vietnam, etc, etc.

Now, Rugby is all about taking my son to training twice a week and watching the great skills of the U/12 boys on gameday. My best time of the week. He plays hooker and THP, and is a bloody sight better than his old man....

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
played soccer for the local soccer club until year five, even though my school then (who basically ran the junior club) kept trying to bribe me ro join, went to private school in year 5, immediately sent to the prep 1st side for my size (didn't work, wasnt fit or skilled enough) b's coach didnt want me (coz she was a bitch) got sent to the c's (last team in our system) played loosehead, eventually prefferred tighthead by the end of school in the gentlemens team. i don't like to brag, but because i had alot of weight behind me, we'd often end up with swing around scrums....

Status
Not open for further replies.