• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where are the fisherman here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sardyntjie

Red Bull said:
G'day fellow fishers, been off the boards a fair bit due to some work related issues which i won't bore you with, however I have just done a fishing-related wahoo painting for my wall at home, and hopefully I can get a few similar (commemorative) commissions for keen anglers in the future.

Also did a recent illustration for Fishing World magazine, which has been published in the January issue. Happy days!
bloody talented...Red Bull...

flippin heck.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks sardyntjie, you're too kind.

Mate, those areas you are fishing look bloody good. And it appears they aren't far from the mouth of the river or estuary, given the clean sand and clear blue water? That guitar fish we call a shovel-nosed ray. They are despised as an unwanted species here. What about over there....you guys keep them?

My Dad caught one a few weeks back that was 5 feet long, and he said it took him about 40 min to land on 10 kg tackle. :eek:

S

Sardyntjie

Red Bull said:
Thanks sardyntjie, you're too kind.

Mate, those areas you are fishing look bloody good. And it appears they aren't far from the mouth of the river or estuary, given the clean sand and clear blue water? That guitar fish we call a shovel-nosed ray. They are despised as an unwanted species here. What about over there....you guys keep them?

My Dad caught one a few weeks back that was 5 feet long, and he said it took him about 40 min to land on 10 kg tackle. :eek:

Sandshark....pest....

We were targetting Steenbras ( feeds on worm and prawn ), near the river mouth. Those things are like hooovers and suck up anything lying on the bottom ....( where our baits were ). We got some decent ones , but thats just sport with light tackle.
I dont think I even put my 14' surf stick out. Mostly used 6 to 7' light sticks with 5 pound line. Great fun , but not the fishing we wanted to do.

Problem is we got too drunk each day , and didnt get to put out baits at night for Kob , which were running between 6 to 10 kgs.....only at night.It was a case of...." come on lets go....." , " Nah , I feeel too miff....wake me up in a couple of hours and we see......" . A couple of hours later its ....." Hey Pete , you ready...?".........answer " Hhmmmmmm........no , man , my heads killing me...."

Fact is we got most species we went out targetting , just not the Kob.

Next weekend we are going to a spot called Die dam......They are pulling out the Kob there at the mo. ......And there is also Galjoen and Belman coming out.

By sardyntjie

By sardyntjie

S

Sardyntjie

By the way , you are a talented artist and I have been raving about your work. Do you havre a website with a catalogue of your work.

Heres the place we arre going to next weekend.

By sardyntjie

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sardyntjie said:
By the way , you are a talented artist and I have been raving about your work. Do you havre a website with a catalogue of your work.

not yet Sardy, but I am working on one! Will be sure to let you know when it's up and running.

S

Sardyntjie

Trip Die dam

Just got back from Die dam

Stayed at top chalet , Sleeps six , but we squeezed a few more in. Weather was terrible , but we got into The Owl pub ( Uylenskraal mond ) at 17:00 pm on sdaturday , and weatching the Stormers clean up the Canes was worth it. And at R8.00 a single brandy and coke , we abused the facilities.

We gave it a throw around 11:00 p.m. friday night , after finishing a braai and warming oyrselves up with some Wellies and coke.( It was frigging cold
).Trying to convince yourself that its not so bad is the easy part. It was a fine drizzle , not a driving rain. There was 2 hours till high tide , so we went to the rocks in front of the cabin , and threw some baits for Kob.

All the beach photos , are from the last day , when the weather decided to clean itself up.

By sardyntjie

We threw there for an hour , till we had to throw from the back rocks , because the waves were breaking over the front rocks.We were throwing whole , half sards , and mixed grills. Pyjama Sharks were the order of the night , so we moved down to the beach to the left of the rocks.

We fished alongside the reef that comes onto the shore , and although its quite fowl ( my mate lost 4 traces , which is very frustrating , in the dark and cold and wet , to replace ).

By sardyntjie

Appparantly , an angler got a 4 kg Kob there in the morning , but we retired , cold , wet and fishless. We did try other baits mind , changing to Steenbras traces , and fishing with Bloodworm , and Catfish.

Even after a shower , arounf 2.00 a.m. inn the morning , and climbing into bed , you feel the chill of the cold drizzle , seeping into your skin.

The next morning was no better weather wise. We had breakdfast and headed to the left of the cabin , to fish off tthe beach.

By sardyntjie

it looks as gloomy as it was. We knew it was going to be cold , but we were there to do some fishing . The water was cold , to me at least , and the camp attendants said they hoped I was bringing some warm water with me. That could have been the reason for the fish being shy.

We tried the beach to the left of us around about 500m down the beach , and moved around there looking for the fish. again pyjama sharks , ( and one of the smallest I have ever seen on a hook ) .

By sardyntjie

and we also managed one Wilderperd vis , a decent sized one right for the pan.

By sardyntjie

We were trying different baits ( we had got some wonderworm early in the morning , we had some tough , sandprawns ( the green ones ) , we had catfish and blood worm. We got nothing else. We tried casting as far as we could , and also close by ( for Belman ) .No luck. We retired back to the cabin for a late lunch and to plan for the rugby.

There was no fishing after rugby........we were celebrating too hard , and there was still a braai to see to ( in the rain , damn but us Soouth Africans are a tough bunch ) , and there was a strong wind blowing which was cutting through the windbreakers. The swell was still pushing hard on the outside reefs , and we were just not in the mood for another cold night in bed.( you cant seem to get rid of that cold once it gets into your skin ).

Early the next morning the sun was out , no wind ( compared to the night before ) and after breakfast , we went down to the beach , to throw wonderworm , prawn again. We had a few runs , but the fish were not there. At 11:00 am we packed up and had to go see to the packing of the cars and get out before 12:00 a.m.

All in all , a great trip......except no fish..........

The women went with and had a great time. We really tried , against all ods , and just being out doing that which we love most , made it a great weekend.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
no, none of those are mine Sardy. Damn good though.

Tried to open those links you posted and can't access the images unless I login/register. You couldn't post them on this thread for me, could you?! 8)

S

Sardyntjie

Its just those pics , really , and some good pics of Tuna........
I thought you might be interested in joining as there are some Kiwis and Aussies that post there , although its a Saffer site. Some really interesting info , for a fisherman.

S

Sardyntjie

P.S. RB , when you opening your web page........I wont to see your work

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
not yet Sardy.......still in progress. :-X

Had a car crash a few weeks back, and most available time since then has been devoted to either seeking money, and finding another vehicle. Not much time on the website lately. I'm still intending to finish it though.

S

Sardyntjie

Red Bull said:
not yet Sardy.......still in progress. :-X

Had a car crash a few weeks back, and most available time since then has been devoted to either seeking money, and finding another vehicle. Not much time on the website lately. I'm still intending to finish it though.
hope you are okay tho......

something to whet your appetite

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
NTA said:
Need any help on layout just let me know big fella ;)

thanks for the offer mate, but see below for what I've come up with as a layout already. Just need to work out my content.

Sardy, good work there mate, you're obviously getting far more time on the water than i am, and I admit there's a bit of angler envy seeing your shots of fantastic surf environments and caught fish!

Regarding the traffic incident, yep fine, though very pissed off with the silly tart who turned in front of me and stopped. ::)

S

Sardyntjie

Red Bull said:
Sardy, good work there mate, you're obviously getting far more time on the water than i am,

wife is preggies. Good enough reason to get away. Ive negotiated a full day per weekend for fishing and mates , whilst she does the family thing.And knowing a litttle one is on the way , I am getting to the water as much as I can.

R

Rugby Rat

Heading back up north to visit mum soonish. I will post a few piccies of the fishing.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
here's some lures I've been making on my new wood lathe.......it's great fun, saves money, and hopefully the big Whitsunday GT's will smash them later this year :thumb

S

Sardyntjie

bloody hell red bull.you are a real artist.those look great quality and its nice to see someone who takes pride in their work.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
This time last year, with the salmon on its last legs/adipose fins, the ban on drift netting was introduced in Ireland. It was particularly important, as the salmon come from the feeding grounds off Greenland, meet up off the west of Ireland and then split off to their spawning grounds everywhere else.

This year, the rivers are so full of salmon there's one bastard seal I've seen in the middle of Cork, 200m downstream from my office calmly munching on a beautiful big spring salmon, and the fucker's developed a taste for them to the extent he's only going for them and not mullet.

And on Thursday, a guy pulled the biggest fish in a century out of the Bandon - 38lbs (what, 27kg?). To give you an idea, a 8kg fish will comfortably, fin to tip, fill the butt of my hand to the ground, and I'm 1.85m.

The big spring salmon are back. The salmon runs are back. The big mackerel breaks are back outside at the moment. We can turn the tide. I'm stoked about this one. ;D

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
And, yesterday, sailing back in from Roche's Point, I saw a sea trout jumping in front of me. In the inner harbour, just where they should be at this stage of the year but haven't been since my great-great-grandfather bought a house down in Currabinny to bother the Juners coming in in June. Sea trout won't take any pollution at all, even more so than salmon, but they're God's fish. And to see them in the Lee, to see the fish that my family, and the family that have been our boatmen, have spent 150 years alternately doing our best to preserve forever and catch every one of the bastards that won't even have the basic decency to even nibble on an entire day of ripple-less casts and that then rise to some Saes bastard's splash of whipping Coppal to death... Ahem. Sorry... And there were jellyfish around where we launch from that I haven't seen in 20 years.

I'm a happy man. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.