• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where are the fisherman here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any pics of these lovely big salmon Thomo?

Can you blame the seal for developing a taste for fresh salmon? Good on him I say. :thumb

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Yes, I bloody can, RB. Not thirty metres upstream of that is where the mullet spawn in the south channel. Half the time, at low tide, you can walk over the bridges in the city centre, and they're stacked five-deep, every size up to just short of a metre.

Were the mullet there, still off the outflow of warm water from the Beamish brewery thirty metres away, that morning? Yes, they were.

Would that flippered fucker eat them instead of a beautiful, fresh, fresh, still all-silver and sea-pink-fleshed spring salmon? No, he wouldn't.

Is the Lee population of otters expanding back so that they're now in UCC on the edge of the city centre feeding on the (notoriously uncatchable, but insanely beautiful and fire-spotted) trout that rise like handfuls of gravel at evening? Yes, but we don't begrudge them.

Would we fuck rocks at that bastard seal until we could find the Canadian consul to do a proper job, and then buy him a bucket of Moosehead after? Oooh, yeah. Pass me the flannel shirt and my Vancouver Canucks cap... :angryfire:

R

Rugby Rat

David Jones Hawkesbury oysters are not too bad value ATM.

14.99 per dozen.

S

Sardyntjie

Its been at least two weeks since Ive wet a line.Roll on summer , cant wait to be able to fish topless and get a tan again?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I finally caught something so time to dig up this old thread...

We went down to Jervis Bay on the weekend. Was a superb day out in perfect conditions, ran into a pod of several hundred dolphins who were splashing around everywhere. About 10 of them were bowriding us at 20 knots for maybe half an hour, freaking awesome sight.

Headed out wide at sparrows and trolled for Marlin, picked up a few striped tuna but no sightings of beakies despite some chatter on the radio of other boats hooking up to the south. After 5 hours we headed north to the banks for plan B.

Sounded some massive schools of baitfish with solid arches under them, so we put a live yakka down and started drifting. There was no interest in the livey, nor the jig that my mate was furiously working, so I rigged up the bait jig with cubes of one stripey that was pretty much dead at the boat.

There was heaps of interest in the fresh stripey, got about 500 little to medium bites and were pulling up a fish every 5 minutes. Got a bunch of rass, some snapper, some rat kings and I got monstered on the bait jig till one of the hooks fell off the piece of chinese crap. Switched to a real hook and promptly got one monster 45cm snapper on 8kg gear, biggest I've landed (pic attached).

One of the other blokes landed a 71cm king on 4kg tackle, got video of the whole fight that we'll stick on youtube soon. The third guy had a monster snapper on 80lb braid, once he hooked it the bastard snagged him on the reef. Quick thinking Bennos went to free spool for 30 seconds while the snapper untangled himself, then it was back on! He had the fish maybe 10 metres from the boat, we were starting to see colour then the bloody hook pulled. Got it back and the hook was bent through 90 degrees, we reckon it would have been close to an 80cm red. Damn!

Attachments

• 45_Snapper.JPG
    45_Snapper.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 257
  • 71_King.JPG
    71_King.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 259

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses good to see you enjoy yourself while you still have time for the outdoors, wont be long when you have to learn all the nappy duties Boet.

Nice big ones, hope you braaied them. Love braaiing a snoekie or two.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Cooked the Snapper on the Barbie for Sunday lunch, was too much for wifey and I so called the neighbours over to help. We got some great sashimi out of the kingfish, plus two massive fillets... the other guys grabbed these though.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
Cooked the Snapper on the Barbie for Sunday lunch, was too much for wifey and I so called the neighbours over to help. We got some great sashimi out of the kingfish, plus two massive fillets... the other guys grabbed these though.
Sorry for sounding stupid but I have no idea what a great sashimi means?

Do you use a nice sauce when you do the fish on the braai?

Do you do them cut open or do you braai them like they are?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Have you had sushi? That is sashimi with rice, so basically sashimi is raw fish. It's a japanese style of cutting certain parts of certain fish, we used the bellyflaps of the yellowtail kingfish, and shoulder is also quite good. You can also do it with many species of tuna (bluefin, yellowfin, longtail...), salmon, and I'm sure many others.

You trim the flesh then cut it quite thin, maybe 3mm thick into small pieces. Then you chill it. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi. It's very popular in oz as we have many Japanese restaurants.

images_pic-medium-25289-toro_sashimi.jpg

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
Have you had sushi? That is sashimi with rice, so basically sashimi is raw fish.
Ag no man, I'll die if I eat raw fish. :lmao: The Mrs and laaitie do the sushi thing at times but I wont get it in my body.

You should try to do the close grill thing with the fish, very low heat and making a sauce with margarien, fresh lemon sauce (I dont like the bottled one, want it from his mummy), touch of mayonaice and apricot jam. Grill it on the stove till all melted and while braaiing keep open the top side of the grill and use a paint brush to paint the fish. I said low heat, you know if the coals are dead the fish is done, then you have master braaing fish on a grill.

Normally fish is a quick braaier, 15 to 20 minutes the longest but the secret is to keep turning and painting. I always start with the skin side and love braai fish the open way. Some of the Boere and soutie like braaiing it skin both sides and using onions and tomato in the inside, not me, hey and I eat it with the hand from the skin. No vokken fork and knife eating. Usually my add with fish is small sweet potato oven baked and soft buns with hanepoot (is a sweet grape) fig jam.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
MoSes, fishing and diving are my two other hobbies (although both are harder on the wallet than rugby). We have had a great run of bonito this year but I keep getting undersize kings. Here is my most recent (60cm model) from the weekend.

My fishing is all in port hacking, bate bay and off the RNP. Its hard to get the time though.

Attachments

• IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 252

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Nailed this one two weeks ago.

Rugby, fishing. All this forum needs is a hardware shop and there will be no need to leave.

Attachments

• IMGP2110.JPG
    IMGP2110.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 234

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Figure he can play with it for a year or two, then we'll stick the hooks back in and take him out to Browns. Would be great to get his first yellowfin on his favourite toy.

Attachments

• Halco Rattle.jpg
    Halco Rattle.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 196
Status
Not open for further replies.