• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
usually the Samoan rugby test team is made up with a lot more NZ residential players than Samoan anyway, I guessing Tonga would have a fair few too. So most of their players wouldn't actually relocate to another country.

Good news on these teams, but I think Moana Pasifika are going to be pushing uphill to be rostered and supe ready in 10 months time.

They should play one season of NPC first, maybe two, to get to speed.

I am guessing Drua will be looking at Aus and NZ to recruit a lot of players too, they sure not going to last with residents.

Drua will be ahead of MP (Moana Pasifika) at the start and mostly Fijian resident, imo. But you're right, they will need other recruitment as well.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good news on these teams, but I think Moana Pasifika are going to be pushing uphill to be rostered and supe ready in 10 months time.

They should play one season of NPC first, maybe two, to get to speed.

Drua will be ahead of MP (Moana Pasifika) at the start and mostly Fijian resident, imo. But you're right, they will need other recruitment as well.

Actually would of been a good idea to run a team in NPC if could of been arrnged kiap, could of started team playing while still doing recruitment.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pasifika will be on the same Salary scales as other NZ super teams, so wouldn't be surprised to see, like the Drua, some established professionals moving back, either alreayd capped for their countries but not 'world renown' like Radradra, or older fellas capped elsewhere but looking to be a part of it for their 1st year. (Nasi Manu, Sekope Kepu). Drua want half half locals (existing drua & 7s) and boys based overseas

For Fiji for example, both Kunatani and Waqaniburito (world cup backrowers) are off contract and looking for clubs.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Would love to see"a few" of the Wallaby capped Fijian players in the Drua team. Players like Sefa Naivalu, Eto Nabuli, Samu Kerevi, Naiyarovoro, Naisarani, Valetini with them still being eligible for Wallaby duty... not all of them at the same time mind you, they'd probably beat everyone!!! :D

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pasifika will be on the same Salary scales as other NZ super teams, so wouldn't be surprised to see, like the Drua, some established professionals moving back, either alreayd capped for their countries but not 'world renown' like Radradra, or older fellas capped elsewhere but looking to be a part of it for their 1st year. (Nasi Manu, Sekope Kepu). Drua want half half locals (existing drua & 7s) and boys based overseas

For Fiji for example, both Kunatani and Waqaniburito (world cup backrowers) are off contract and looking for clubs.

I reckon that is bang on with Drua half and half with locals and overseas would be good. Sounds better all the time.
Apparently McLennan and 'Leapfrog' (Marinos) are in NZ now so I bet an awful lot of discussion going on regarding these teams.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the Drua will be fine, first season will be tough given limited time frame for recruitment and retention but after that they’ll be right. The work WR (World Rugby) and RA did with them on the Drua and the NRC gives me all the confidence.

Moana Pasifika I’m hearing worrying things about, especially the lack of engagement with Tonga and Samoa, at the moment it just appears as though WR (World Rugby) are funding a 6th professional team to be based in New Zealand. Whereas this team really needs to connect with and provide pathways for Samoa and Tonga.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think the Drua will be fine, first season will be tough given limited time frame for recruitment and retention but after that they’ll be right. The work WR (World Rugby) and RA did with them on the Drua and the NRC gives me all the confidence.

Moana Pasifika I’m hearing worrying things about, especially the lack of engagement with Tonga and Samoa, at the moment it just appears as though WR (World Rugby) are funding a 6th professional team to be based in New Zealand. Whereas this team really needs to connect with and provide pathways for Samoa and Tonga.

Well basically they are, but that's where most of MP (Moana Pasifika) players will come from, and until they been around for a year or 2 and can get set up in Apia or somewhere, there is nowhere else to base them. I don't know if you have followed what has been happening to wages etc for Samoa and Tonga test players over last few years, but to let those 2 boards have to much say is going to kill much chance of attracting players. And as most probably live in NZ, I would take it like it is until they get solid base.

The other thing that amuses me is reports that Kefu as Tongan coach has said he hopes that NZR and RA don't try and recruit their players. I guessing he hopes the players will have a stirling international career for Tonga just like he did:rolleyes:. FFS pot kettle!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well basically they are, but that's where most of MP (Moana Pasifika) players will come from, and until they been around for a year or 2 and can get set up in Apia or somewhere, there is nowhere else to base them. I don't know if you have followed what has been happening to wages etc for Samoa and Tonga test players over last few years, but to let those 2 boards have to much say is going to kill much chance of attracting players. And as most probably live in NZ, I would take it like it is until they get solid base.

The other thing that amuses me is reports that Kefu as Tongan coach has said he hopes that NZR and RA don't try and recruit their players. I guessing he hopes the players will have a stirling international career for Tonga just like he did:rolleyes:. FFS pot kettle!

We clash a bit but not on this. Neither of the two Unions have the resources to really partner with this. And for Kefu to complain is a little rich.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Radradra is pretty world reknown, to be honest. He's been tearing it up for Bristol. I would be shocked if they could land a player of his caliber (shocked and excited).

He really is an exceptional player.

A more realistic option might be someone like TK.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Is Nadolo still playing at all? I see he seems to have a bit of a passion for this project, wouldn’t surprise me if he were to play for them for a year or so, would certainly help with the interest levels and possibly convincing others to sign

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Radradra is pretty world reknown, to be honest. He's been tearing it up for Bristol. I would be shocked if they could land a player of his caliber (shocked and excited).

He really is an exceptional player.

A more realistic option might be someone like TK.

Got my grammar wrong - not world renown like Radradra IS.

He is the best no.13 in the world lol

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Imagine appeal for players being able to stay home in Fiji where grew up with nice weather vs big city living with shitty European winter may be key to keeping some players.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Which is fine but If it’s just another New Zealand super rugby team with no interaction with the test teams or governing bodies of Samoa or Tonga then it shouldn’t be receiving Word Rugby grants. That money should be going to the Tongan and Samoan governing bodies in some other form.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Which is fine but If it’s just another New Zealand super rugby team with no interaction with the test teams or governing bodies of Samoa or Tonga then it shouldn’t be receiving Word Rugby grants. That money should be going to the Tongan and Samoan governing bodies in some other form.

How is it another NZ super team,when 80% have to be eligible for Tonga and Samoa? And who said there no interaction with Tonga and samoan boards?
And the Drua will not be run by Fijian RU, but by a seperate board etc, who will have the money etc.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How is it another NZ super team,when 80% have to be eligible for Tonga and Samoa? And who said there no interaction with Tonga and samoan boards?
And the Drua will not be run by Fijian RU, but by a seperate board etc, who will have the money etc.

I’m sure a fair chunk of current kiwi Super Rugby squads are also eligible for Samoa and Tonga. The concern which has rightfully been raised is that NZRU will hold a number of positions on the Moana Pasifika Board, yet no Samoa or Tongan representation has been made yet.

Drua will be run by Fiji Rugby, where have you heard otherwise?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Morgan turinui indicated in his recent media article as MP (Moana Pasifika) as another nz rugby feeder side for all blacks. Assuming he is more informed then me I am a little suspicious about nzru intentions for MP (Moana Pasifika) and indeed basing them in Auckland as latter then supports residency for all blacks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I’m sure a fair chunk of current kiwi Super Rugby squads are also eligible for Samoa and Tonga. The concern which has rightfully been raised is that NZRU will hold a number of positions on the Moana Pasifika Board, yet no Samoa or Tongan representation has been made yet.

Drua will be run by Fiji Rugby, where have you heard otherwise?

In the press release I heard from Fijian CEO, who said "the franchiswe will be set up as a seperate identity, with it's own CEO and adninstration". It will be run along lines of NZ franchises etc, and I can understand that, as Fiji RU should be concentrating on Fijian rugby, rather than a professional franchise.
Yep and NZR is putting a couple on board for first few years, but from what I have heard Bee Gee saying when talking this was MP (Moana Pasifika) idea to make sure they had some expertise at running teams while they get going.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Morgan turinui indicated in his recent media article as MP (Moana Pasifika) as another nz rugby feeder side for all blacks. Assuming he is more informed then me I am a little suspicious about nzru intentions for MP (Moana Pasifika) and indeed basing them in Auckland as latter then supports residency for all blacks.

Rubbish NZR did not base them in South Auckland , MP (Moana Pasifika) did, have you even followed the formation of MP (Moana Pasifika), and why it is there? The biggest population of Pacific Islanders in the world is in Auckland, and so therefore they think a lot of players may come from there. According to Eroni Clarke and Micheal Jones ( I know what would they know compared to Turunui) the team needed to be set up where they had availability of training facilities ( and that was said well before NZR had even got involved) and they don't think Apia has this yet (Note Samoan and Tongan world rugby squads almost always train outside their countries, as they don't have facilities. That is reason why (according to Kevin Senio) they won't be playing many games in Apia and none in Tonga, but hope to mave it all to Apia when improvements are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.