• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Was asked tonight or more a statement was made and it may have already been covered but I don't know the answer.

Say the force are cut. WA hold a contract with the ARU to have a Super Rugby team.

So WA Rugby sue the ARU.

What are loses if the Force have been losing money. To sue there needs to be a financial loss incurred or expected to be incurred.

So maybe a court issues a right to WA rugby that the ARU must include them. But if SANZAAR refuse to enter them can an Australian court order SANZAAR to include them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They wouldn't sue them for damages.
They would seek an injunction to stop the ARU from pursuing that objective.
I assume.
But the ARU don't run the comp from which they are being excluded.
Need to know more about how the ARU relates to SANZAAR in term of nominating or whatever which teams will play.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
But the ARU don't run the comp from which they are being excluded.
Need to know more about how the ARU relates to SANZAAR in term of nominating or whatever which teams will play.

The ARU is SANZAAR in a way though. In the sense that everything within SANZAAR has to be unanimous.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
The ARU is SANZAAR in a way though. In the sense that everything within SANZAAR has to be unanimous.
That's something I can't get my head around at the moment. All decisions have to be unanimous. Apparently the broadcast deals have been revised and all parties have agreed to reduce teams. Why is it assumed 15 teams is an option, especially if SA sort their house out. If the ARU can't make a decision, do SANZAAR make one for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the ARU can't make a decision, do SANZAAR make one for them?

How can they? SANZAAR includes the ARU, it's not independent.

I assume if the ARU are unable to cut the Force or the Rebels (or both) then by extension SANZAAR is unable to cut them.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I would assume SANZAAR doesn't need to cut them, if there is an agreement in place for Aus to have only 4 teams next year, wouldn't it then need another agreement made (unanimous) for Aus to then have 5 teams? Did Aus or NZ have a say when SA had the team that was demoted o few years back?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hopefully it ends with us having zero teams in super rugby. For the first time since the super concept was introduced, I didn't watch a single game on the weekend.

To be fair QH, I would imagine that was because or the quality of Aus teams, which really is just giving more fuel to the idea that there needs to be a cut I think.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would assume SANZAAR doesn't need to cut them, if there is an agreement in place for Aus to have only 4 teams next year, wouldn't it then need another agreement made (unanimous) for Aus to then have 5 teams? Did Aus or NZ have a say when SA had the team that was demoted o few years back?

But there was an agreement pending stakeholder approval. Turns out the broadcasters might not be the only stakeholders who can stop this from happening.

I guess you're right in a sense, but if for whatever reason the ARU are forced to come back and say they can't cut a team before 2020 and the NZRU and SARU don't agree to Australia keeping 5 teams then what would be the way forward? I can only imagine that if SANZAAR can't agree on changes they'd have to continue with the current format, which broadcasters signed off on up to 2020.

B

BLR

To be fair QH, I would imagine that was because or the quality of Aus teams, which really is just giving more fuel to the idea that there needs to be a cut I think.

2011 & 2014 titles with 5 Australian teams, this is bunk. NZ rugby has been weak for years at a time in the past.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
That's what I am unsure of. Is it a done deal, requiring further agreement for Aus to have 5 sides, or is it a situation of if it all gets too hard nothing changes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2011 & 2014 titles with 5 Australian teams, this is bunk. NZ rugby has been weak for years at a time in the past.

To be fair, NZ teams have consistently been up there......... it's our SA friends that may want to refrain from putting the boot in.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
But there was an agreement pending stakeholder approval.

I had a look back and the SANZAAR press release announcing the restructure doesn't say this. It presents it as a done deal, with broadcaster agreement and all unions having signed off.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I had a look back and the SANZAAR press release announcing the restructure doesn't say this. It presents it as a done deal, with broadcaster agreement and all unions having signed off.

I mean when they agreed to it at the SANZAAR meeting. Before the cut to 15 was announced they just said a decision had been made pending stakeholder approval. The ARU (and by extension SANZAAR) clearly didn't dot all its i's and cross all its t's before announcing it was a done deal.

If it turns out the ARU can't cut a team then doesn't that just mean SANZAAR can't cut an Australian team? The recent comments from Steve Tew seem to indicate that is the case.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In recent times they have, doesn't mean always.

Nah, NZ teams have won 14 of the 21 championships, and been runner up of 8 of those including 4 of the 7 other finals won by non-NZ teams...........

And they've often had multiple teams at the top end of the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.