• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@BH I'm not really disagreeing, but I don't think it's the dead end you imply. The sporting grounds would presumably be developed into better sporting grounds.

That whole corridor down Parramatta Road will change in time, won't be like it is now (die-ing industrial) in 50 years. Maybe not 20 or even 10.

This said I'd be surprised if it hadn't been considered (and ruled out) by NSWRU, even with low competency.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ive glazed over all these posts so I might have missed it but isn't the real problem with concord as a sporting venue that the traffic in off peak is at a snails pace and there's not a train station within cooee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it. But add in WestConnex and start looking forward.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^^ RE WESTS rugby club as referenced above.

Just confirmed: that land is owned by the Brisbane City Council and rented to Wests. So it can be done in this modality as I suspected. And btw, that land/rugby ground is tightly surrounded by residential areas.

Have a look (scroll down the photos) at this facility, they and their architects have done a fantastic job:

https://www.hutchinsonbuilders.com.au/projects/community/wests-rugby-union-clubhouse

This is excellent.

I'm guessing if they wanted a licensed club with 100 poker machines and a 12 story hotel the council wouldn't have agreed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That whole corridor down Parramatta Road will change in time, won't be like it is now (die-ing industrial) in 50 years. Maybe not 20 or even 10.

I'd be betting the City of Canada Bay is also thinking this and thinking that with redevelopments of Parramatta Stadium, ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium in the pipeline that Concord Oval will become more of a white elephant and ultimately their best option will be to sell off the land for commercial development when the time comes because the argument they can put to residents about what the land is worth will be too compelling.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
@BH I'm not really disagreeing, but I don't think it's the dead end you imply. The sporting grounds would presumably be developed into better sporting grounds.

This said I'd be surprised if it hadn't been considered (and ruled out) by NSWRU, even with low competency.

The re-furb for Parramatta Road does not involve increasing traffic capacity, as far as I am aware. It might improve a bit with the M4 extensions, but it's a pig of a place to access / get out of. No matter how lovely the sporting facility might be. I suspect the words "Concord" and "Oval" have been banned from utterance at NSWRU under pain of tenure (the worst punishment I can think of!).

T

TOCC

^^^^ RE WESTS rugby club as referenced above.

Just confirmed: that land is owned by the Brisbane City Council and rented to Wests. So it can be done in this modality as I suspected. And btw, that land/rugby ground is tightly surrounded by residential areas.

Have a look (scroll down the photos) at this facility, they and their architects have done a fantastic job:

https://www.hutchinsonbuilders.com.au/projects/community/wests-rugby-union-clubhouse

Yes, and similar to what i was talking about earlier with Ballymore, the zoning for Wests Rugby Club falls under 'sporting and recreation', BCC encourages and allows limited development in sporting precincts to allow them to become multi-use facilities. Things like food and drink, licensed clubs, function space, indoor sport, limited office space and health services are all allowed under the 'sport and recreation' zone code.

Similar to Sunnybank Rugby Club with their ongoing developments, last year they built a $10million performing arts centre into the club house. However, the commercial interests in this is that it supports the operations of the license club, they obviously see financial gain by co-locating the theatre next to their licensed club.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Yes if they get council permission and I mentioned it when I started talking about Concord.

The key point I was trying to make and maybe I have not expressed myself well or used a poor example in NSW Football. Is the other codes have developed facilities and often by their state bodies and or their key teams. The NSWRU has not developed anything in fact has had to saved twice to my knowledge from going under.

Penrith, the Bulldogs along with the Tigers have or are building these things. AFL its common. Football in its National Premier League of which they have 110 teams have an an entry requirement a training academy including ground facilities for age groups U 8 to U 16.

The NSWRU had a chance to do something special with Concord that they have not an what should be a major rugby asset if for nothing else a centre of excellence for player and technical development and now looks like moving into the hands of the NRL.

Will be the same in Perth, if they kick the force out. The WA gov will direct assets and leases to Perth Glory worth I have read 30 million. No I don't have proof but its common sense says it will happen.

So its not only the ARU the inept, incompetent, chain goes down a long way.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes if they get council permission and I mentioned it when I started talking about Concord.

The key point I was trying to make and maybe I have not expressed myself well or used a poor example in NSW Football. Is the other codes have developed facilities and often by their state bodies and or their key teams. The NSWRU has not developed anything in fact has had to saved twice to my knowledge from going under.

Penrith, the Bulldogs along with the Tigers have or are building these things. AFL its common. Football in its National Premier League of which they have 110 teams have an an entry requirement a training academy including ground facilities for age groups U 8 to U 16.

The NSWRU had a chance to do something special with Concord that they have not an what should be a major rugby asset if for nothing else a centre of excellence for player and technical development and now looks like moving into the hands of the NRL.

Will be the same in Perth, if they kick the force out. The WA gov will direct assets and leases to Perth Glory worth I have read 30 million. No I don't have proof but its common sense says it will happen.

So its not only the ARU the inept, incompetent, chain goes down a long way.

The wa gov have also hinted they will pursue damages from the ARU after spending 100million on the redevelopment of NIB and the RugbyWA headquarters.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I wonder why the NSW Government did not sue the NRL when the rebuilding of Central Coast Stadium at Gosford (Bluetongue) did not result in the North Sydney Bears franchise being based there, which was the rationale for spending all that dosH?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I would like the SCG/Moore Park trust to redevelop the old show ground stadium at Foxstudios into a boutique stadium (10,000 seats). Good for Tah trials, U20s, Shute Shield GF, NRC and I'm sure RL and Soccer would have uses for it too.
IMG_6406.PNG

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That's a really good idea actually, would have to be multi code though.

T

TOCC

Moore Park even with the new lightrail is a poor spot for any stadium, accessibility is lacking and will always be the archilles heel for future stadium expansions there.

A heavy rail connection is the bare minimum for a major stadium these days, whilst a boutique stadium could work at Moore Park, the reluctance would be towards increasing the overall capacity of the precinct. Occasionally you have the perfect storm where the SFS and SCG are both hosting events and the transport system is crippled. Throwing in another 10'000 wouldn't be ideal.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Moore Park even with the new lightrail is a poor spot for any stadium, accessibility is lacking and will always be the archilles heel for future stadium expansions there.

A heavy rail connection is the bare minimum for a major stadium these days, whilst a boutique stadium could work at Moore Park, the reluctance would be towards increasing the overall capacity of the precinct. Occasionally you have the perfect storm where the SFS and SCG are both hosting events and the transport system is crippled. Throwing in another 10'000 wouldn't be ideal.
I agree but part of the fun is the sprint up the hill after the game to jostle for a spot at one of the paddo pubs. A solution could be to make the pubs bigger!

T

TOCC

Honestly the perfect solution is to not upgrade SFS and instead build a new stadium over the railyards at Central Station, obviously cost prohibitive but would be the best solution for a stadium in Sydneys East.

Then reconfigure SFS as a smaller boutique stadium..

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The re-furb for Parramatta Road does not involve increasing traffic capacity, as far as I am aware. It might improve a bit with the M4 extensions, but it's a pig of a place to access / get out of. No matter how lovely the sporting facility might be. I suspect the words "Concord" and "Oval" have been banned from utterance at NSWRU under pain of tenure (the worst punishment I can think of!).

West Connex is meant to greatly reduce traffic. On the back of that event traffic might be seen as capatible with whatever devepment plans they have in mind.

Public transport remains an issue whichever way you look at it.

If development on site is not a go, they should be trying to shore up broader development rights in order to sell and do something somewhere else. No it's not a given but I don't know any asset (or rights) owner that would not be working it through. If it fails, the exec should expect to have to explain what was done and why it didn't come off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The Waratahs have a pretty decent facility at Moore Park. The ARU is getting a new office building and facility there as well, predominantly funded by others (UTS, NSW Govt and SCG Trust).

If the Wests Tigers get approval and the relevant backing to upgrade the facility at Concord it will still be a City of Canada Bay property and West Harbour will presumably get to benefit from it as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Transport to and from the SFS/SCG will never be ideal even after the light rail, but it is not terrible.

The precinct is amazing for pre and post game food and beverage though. The range of quality pubs and restaurants within a short walk is brilliant.

I've only been to AAMI Park in Melbourne once but the walk from there back to the city or other locations for a drink isn't short. Even from the MCG it is a decent hike to get to good pubs.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Transport to and from the SFS/SCG will never be ideal even after the light rail, but it is not terrible.

The precinct is amazing for pre and post game food and beverage though. The range of quality pubs and restaurants within a short walk is brilliant.

I've only been to AAMI Park in Melbourne once but the walk from there back to the city or other locations for a drink isn't short. Even from the MCG it is a decent hike to get to good pubs.

The walk to the city is pretty significant but if you go the other way then it is less than 5 mins walk to Richmond station (one stop to Flinders Street) and 10 to the Precinct, Corner or Cricketers arms in Richmond.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The Waratahs have a pretty decent facility at Moore Park. The ARU is getting a new office building and facility there as well, predominantly funded by others (UTS, NSW Govt and SCG Trust).

If the Wests Tigers get approval and the relevant backing to upgrade the facility at Concord it will still be a City of Canada Bay property and West Harbour will presumably get to benefit from it as well.

OK yep the Tahs are being gifted Moore Park, and WH will be allowed to use Concord. We could add the Force in Perth also gifted a training facility.

Proves and shows beyond doubt the skill, professionalism, astute management of the ARU & NSWRU.

I was wrong I now see the errors, of my judgement, and I acknowledge how the various governing bodies have smartly with elegant systems, have energetically and rapidly applied quick responses to issues at hand.

Further rugby's youth development structures, pathways and technical awareness has never been better managed.

I thank you for showing me the errors of judgement I made.

Status
Not open for further replies.