• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Found the online article and link.

NSW Rugby Union chief Andrew Hore last week wrote to Ms Berejiklian urging her to do something about the dilapidated Allianz. “The food and beverage offering is inadequate, narrow concourses are clogged with patrons and bathroom facilities are desperately poor,” he wrote.​
Mr Hore said he was happy to discuss options, including temporary relocation for the Waratahs, should a refurbishment be decided upon. “The poor old stadium, even though it’s in a great position, is not to a level people deserve.”​

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@QH Armageddon sounds enticing right now. But I'll leave the off season to see how I feel after.

With the SFS they've been nailed by failing standards so that in a couple of year the Occupational Certificate will be de-rated to much smaller crowd. I'd imagine that NSWRU were not aware of this during the rebuild proposal. But it was as I understand it the NSWRU who pushed the right buttons to uncover the failing standards. Not NRL, Football etc but lowly RU.

I don't like the NSWRU - ARU operation at all, but in this case they may have done public safety in Sydney a service.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
@QH Armageddon sounds enticing right now. But I'll leave the off season to see how I feel after.

With the SFS they've been nailed by failing standards so that in a couple of year the Occupational Certificate will be de-rated to much smaller crowd. I'd imagine that NSWRU were not aware of this during the rebuild proposal. But it was as I understand it the NSWRU who pushed the right buttons to uncover the failing standards. Not NRL, Football etc but lowly RU.

I don't like the NSWRU - ARU operation at all, but in this case they may have done public safety in Sydney a service.

It's a pity the NSWRU torpedoed the NSW government plan in 2016 to knock the ground down and build a completely new 55,000 seat rectangular stadium. Most of the same issues were raised then and they'd probably have known about most of them. Competent management of professional sporting franchises requires thinking ahead of the present, into the future. The current problems with the SFS weren't unforeseen or unfoeseeable.

THEY represent the entirety of NSW but the Waratahs say moving from Moore Park to Western Sydney would be a “disaster” for the club.
Waratahs chairman Roger Davis on Tuesday rejected relocating to ANZ Stadium or Parramatta Stadium while Allianz Stadium was knocked down and rebuilt under the new $1.6 billion stadia plan.​
The Waratahs are part of an alliance with the Roosters and Sydney FC, who are opposing plans to build a new 55,000-seat stadium on the site of their shared home ground.​
The reason we signed with the football stadium was so we could play there,” Davis said.
“We didn’t sign a 16-year contract so we could spend 25 per cent of it playing somewhere else. Most of our fans come from the eastern suburbs and the north shore.
“They have thrown out ideas that we could play at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Well we left that field in the mid-70s. I don’t know where we are going to play.
“At a time when there is incredible pressure on the public purse this is an extravagance and it’s not necessary.
“We were happy to play at Allianz while it was being renovated, but we had to go for the Taj Mahal, the new shining light stadium. We’ll come back but we’ll be half the side we are at present because we’ll lose our fans.”

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Shouldn't affect the Tahs really

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

And I'd add, that when the govenrment (any government) offers to spend taxpayers money on your sport, and not only do you say "no thanks", but you lead a campaign against it which leads to the Premier intervening and overruling the Sports Minister, then you've committed a serious mistake. To then think that the NSWRU can now ask for the money to be spent is naive in the extreme and just delusional. It's not how governments work.

It was a dumb thing to do at the time, which I loudly pointed out at the time. In hindsight it was even dumber.

EDIT: And I think that Andrew Hoare is good and I suspect that in private he would be expressing similar views to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It thankfully seems that pretty much no one agrees with the many rubbish comments Roger Davis regularly makes.

Hopefully he moves on from the Waratahs and NSWRU soon.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Some excerpts for those stopped by the paywall.

Details of the initiative are being kept sketchy, save for revelations that the Wallabies captain met with the Sunwolves chief executive last month. Force captain Matt Hodgson would say only that club officials were looking at Plan B and Plan C to keep the club alive and kicking until the next SANZAAR broadcast deal is negotiated at the end of 2020.
Given that the Sunwolves will play next year as part of the Australian conference under the SANZAAR plan, it’s possible that a merger of sorts — using the Japanese club’s licence — could be beneficial to both franchises. The Sunwolves are themselves under threat from SANZAAR, which recently gave them an “improve or else” ultimatum and certainly if the Force were able to stay intact, the Japanese side could benefit greatly from using some of their players. But discussions are so preliminary at this stage that neither club has any great expectations that they will lead to anything concrete.
It has raised further questions about the process that was put in place to reduce Super Rugby from 18 teams to 15. While the threatened axing of the Force has led Australian rugby to the brink of open revolt, the situation in South Africa — where the Southern Kings and the Cheetahs were culled — was vastly different. There was scarcely a peep from either franchise, even though they were widely identified as being in danger of being cut long before the deed was actually done. Why was that? Were the two sides advised right from the start that a soft landing had been planned for them in the Pro12 competition in Britain? And, if so, when were they advised? Certainly the suspicion is starting to form, at least in Western Australia, that this was the reason South Africa was so ready to cut two teams right from the start.

Reactions: dru

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the ongoing adverse media publicity, such as a sports forum on ABC National TV last Sunday, (where the ARU board was described as "totally corrupt" and "technically bankrupt"), at what stage does an organisation (e.g. the Western Force or WARU), or an individual (e.g. Andrew Forrest), have the confidence, (and the ammunition) to launch court proceedings against Clyne, Pulver and the ARU Board on a charge of "bringing the game in to disrepute"?!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Given the ongoing adverse media publicity, such as a sports forum on ABC National TV last Sunday, (where the ARU board was described as "totally corrupt" and "technically bankrupt"), at what stage does an organisation (e.g. the Western Force or WARU), or an individual (e.g. Andrew Forrest), have the confidence, (and the ammunition) to launch court proceedings against Clyne, Pulver and the ARU Board on a charge of "bringing the game in to disrepute"?!

First question: what law, or company rule, have they broken?

B

BLR

First question: what law, or company rule, have they broken?

Probably their own constitution.

EDIT: You'd assume there would be something about bringing the game into disrepute or making sure they did what was best for the game.

At the moment it looks like their aim was a short term cash grab for them alone.

T

TOCC

There's also an argument that the ARU's actions have conflicted with some of the ASC principles, such as demonstrating integrity and good judgment. Not a crime, but it is tied to federal government funding in which the ARU receives quite a bit.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The problem MD is that none of the state RUs or the ARU have the ability to look at the disarray and chaos around them and (a) appreciate the problems or (b) accept any responsibility whatsover.
People with an ounce of self respect would have resigned some time ago, but these people need to be blasted out unfortunately.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There's also an argument that the ARU's actions have conflicted with some of the ASC principles, such as demonstrating integrity and good judgment. Not a crime, but it is tied to federal government funding in which the ARU receives quite a bit.

The ARU and the NSWRU are headed by Sir Desmond Glazebrook types.

Sir Desmond Glazebrook: They've broken the rules.
Sir Humphrey: What, you mean the insider trading regulations?
Sir Desmond Glazebrook: No.
Sir Humphrey: Oh. Well, that's one relief.
Sir Desmond Glazebrook: I mean of course they've broken those, but they've broken the basic, the basic rule of the City.
Sir Humphrey: I didn't know there were any.
Sir Desmond Glazebrook: Just the one. If you're incompetent you have to be honest, and if you're crooked you have to be clever. See, if you're honest, then when you make a pig's breakfast of things the chaps rally round and help you out.
Sir Humphrey: If you're crooked?
Sir Desmond Glazebrook: Well, if you're making good profits for them, chaps don't start asking questions; they're not stupid. Well, not that stupid.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Given we are cutting the force to increase strength of the other 4 teams... What happens when we have similar results? Keep cutting until we have the wobs playing in the super 6's against the 5 kiwi sides?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Given we are cutting the force to increase strength of the other 4 teams. What happens when we have similar results? Keep cutting until we have the wobs playing in the super 6's against the 5 kiwi sides?

We expand, to capture new markets and expand the pool of players to pick form.. oh

B

BLR

Given we are cutting the force to increase strength of the other 4 teams. What happens when we have similar results? Keep cutting until we have the wobs playing in the super 6's against the 5 kiwi sides?

Well the ARU have alluded to 3 teams being the most successful option for the Wallabies (because they won World Cups and Bledisloes with 3 teams) despite all the other evidence against it.

So yeah, I see that happening.

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)

And that's also the problem with the two cut south African sides moving north, it does nothing to concentrate their player pool either. SAANZAR have made an absolute meal of this, right there alongside the aru.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well the ARU have alluded to 3 teams being the most successful option for the Wallabies (because they won World Cups and Bledisloes with 3 teams) despite all the other evidence against it.

So yeah, I see that happening.

Not "alluded" but a presentation of Clyne's interpretation of the facts, such that it is. Seems to me 4 is only a temporary step in the ARU shrinking to greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.