• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
This is the sort of option I'd like to see the Force explore.

Questions: Where does Twiggy Forrest do business?

Who plans to launch a pro league with foreign players in 2018?

Click scmp
… Alisports – the sports division of e-commerce giant Alibaba , owner of the South China Morning Post – will host the tournament and is leading the charge as far as popularising rugby in China.​
Last October, the company invested US$100 million over 10 years with the aim of attracting a million new players within five years.​
…The ultimate goal for China is to host a Rugby World Cup and plans are in place to launch a professional 15-a-side league featuring foreign players as soon as next year.
While China has less than 2,000 rugby players, Wei believes the sport will catch on and knows it is important to capitalise on the interest created by the 2019 World Cup and the 2020 Olympics, both to be held in Japan …​
This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Shanghai set to host richest sevens​

same time zone as WA, 10yrs ago their were a lot of rugby teams in Beijing, I assume there still are.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^
That's fine, viva la revolution, but what you would be asking players to do is accept that they wouldn't be playing in a sanctioned comp, which means they are potentially putting their "Rugby Union" careers, especially any international aspirations, at least on hold, and potentially ended, depending on how hard ball WR (World Rugby) want to play.

And I imagine they will want to play pretty hard, to prevent a precedent elsewhere in the world.

It dramatically raises the salaries and costs that would need to be paid, or lowers the standard of player that could be attracted.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For a Very VERY long time, anybody who'd played Rugby league at ANY level got locked out for life.

World Rugby knows how to hold a grudge.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
^^^^
That's fine, viva la revolution, but what you would be asking players to do is accept that they wouldn't be playing in a sanctioned comp, which means they are potentially putting their "Rugby Union" careers, especially any international aspirations, at least on hold, and potentially ended, depending on how hard ball WR (World Rugby) want to play.

And I imagine they will want to play pretty hard, to prevent a precedent elsewhere in the world.

It dramatically raises the salaries and costs that would need to be paid, or lowers the standard of player that could be attracted.

The ARU would crack first.

Fox would make sure of that if it was on FTA.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
All a new comp has to do is wait out the seemingly inevitable bankruptcy of the remaining Super teams (and probably the ARU, too).

exactly, and TF is a deal maker and the ARU are idiots with no money. The world body will be dealing with TF before long.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Nah, he's responding to Killer's comments on the previous page re: the fantasy Twiggy comp.....
Fair enuff, I'm happy with that.

This up-arrow pointing thing ^^^^ is indiscriminate, though.

Mom says it's rude to point. ;) And why use multiple when one, or none, will do?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

Mom says it's rude to point. ;) And why use multiple when one, or none, will do?

Kiap I agree with your point on China, TF will be right in there, The world body aren't stupid they have seen how the ARU have F/ed everything up, they will be looking to bring TF back in not fight him.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If and/or when the comp emerges, I'll be 100% behind it, sounds exactly like what Rugby in this country needs.

I don't see the ARU sanctioning it, and I don't see World Rugby setting the precedent to undermine an important member, or members if it's as international as Twiggy's ambition/ego (whichever you prefer) suggests.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

For whatever reason I can't get quote to work on IE at work so >>>>> the arrows

Works fine as long as you don't get beaten to a reply o_O

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

--------------

Another regulation that may might life interesting
Regulation 14.1
No individual, body corporate, partnership, trust or any other entity (“Entity”) may directly or indirectly own or control more than one Club except with the prior written consent of the Union concerned, or where Clubs from different Unions are involved, the written consent of the Unions concerned and World Rugby.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I tell you what would be a laugh, if the Shute Shield, QldPR, Hong Kong RFU, Samoa, Tonga, China, Korea, Singapore and Japan all come on board with great plans ahead of them; but then the ARU reinstate the Force, and it all turns to nothing! :D:p

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Just on the court thing by international rugby and the ARU competition.

Works both ways and Twiggy understands this.

Take the decision by the ARU that bans players from going overseas. Says these players cannot play for Australia if they don't play in an ARU approved competition in Australia.

There is a little ""Act"" called The Trade Practices Act, which has large section and lots of case law on "Restriction of Trade" akin to the AFL draft but the only reason the AFL draft and the ARU policy of play for us or else if challenged under the TPC would be found to be in breach of it.

Also he would muster some powerful people say BuildCorp I imagine would back him as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just on the court thing by international rugby and the ARU competition.

Works both ways and Twiggy understands this.

Take the decision by the ARU that bans players from going overseas. Says these players cannot play for Australia if they don't play in an ARU approved competition in Australia.

There is a little ""Act"" called The Trade Practices Act, which has large section and lots of case law on "Restriction of Trade" akin to the AFL draft but the only reason the AFL draft and the ARU policy of play for us or else if challenged under the TPC would be found to be in breach of it.

Yeah, I don't think you've got that right............

There's no ban on players heading overseas, and nothing preventing those players from practicing their trade elsewhere - they're just not eligible for the Wallabies if they do.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Yeah, I don't think you've got that right....

There's no ban on players heading overseas, and nothing preventing those players from practicing their trade elsewhere - they're just not eligible for the Wallabies if they do.

Assuming the ARU is not bankrupt of course.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Many players forgo Wallaby selection to play in Europe. If 5he money is right I don't see that as a barrier to entry. Many other issues will stop a break away comp but if it is pursued I wish them all the best getting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.