• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So does that mean he could play for the Wallabies without having to front up to a Super Rugby side? Shades of Rob Simmons?

I guess it's technically possible for him to play for Australia and not a Super Rugby side? he definitely can't sign for a foreign club team though.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The WF players will be absorbed in some manner I don't think even the ARU are that silly not to honour WF players contracts.

I think in some ways the decision will be claimed a success in that I think average crowds will lift and average ratings will increase. Fox will be happier and all will appear under control and heading north.

TF's competition will kick in and be somewhat successful as a Pan Pacific / Asian competition.

However these two successes will be on paper only, they will hold the hard core rusted on but do little to expand rugby and prepare rugby against expansion plans by Netball, Womens AFl, A-League, and the raise of the Matilda's as a national sporting brand, cricket's BB competitions both male and female.

Nor will they of themselves arrest the fall in player numbers.

Also the more we reduce our national coverage the harder it becomes to develop a national domestic competition.

However me thinks it will kinda be alright over the next say three seasons, if survival not expansion is your objective.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hasn't Coleman recently re-signed with the ARU?

Yep.........

As I mentioned earlier - we're not going to see many more signings until the ARU decide whether or not to lift the salary cap.

I doubt Coleman will head overseas with the way his career is currently going.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
In a sense. He's a 'free agent' so he can go wherever he wants, but he stands to lose a fair bit of guaranteed coin if he goes O/S.

Now that Dave 'the saviour of Aussie rugby' Wessels has signed on with the Rebels hopefully we can see this resolved ASAP.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In a sense. He's a 'free agent' so he can go wherever he wants, but he stands to lose a fair bit of guaranteed coin if he goes O/S.

Now that Dave 'the saviour of Aussie rugby' Wessels has signed on with the Rebels hopefully we can see this resolved ASAP.

We could just call him the 'Daviour'.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm sure he will follow Wessels and be an important part of the Eastern Force, but I'm equally sure he would be well compensated if he went overseas. Can't see how the guaranteed coin here would be crucial in his considerations.

L

Leo86

You want to disappear?
The Gunstons can usually help with that.

This year has killed rugby for me, I no longer am finding enjoyment, the Wallabies test at Nib was sombre, i have 0 faith in the ARU (keeping Spirit or actually wanting IPRC) and watching the Forced robbed and gifted to the Rebels is crushing.

So removal of account is the only thing left

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm sure he will follow Wessels and be an important part of the Eastern Force, but I'm equally sure he would be well compensated if he went overseas. Can't see how the guaranteed coin here would be crucial in his considerations.

True. Let's hope the key factor is that he just loves playing for the Wallabies, and wants to lead us to World Cup glory in 2019.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This year has killed rugby for me, I no longer am finding enjoyment, the Wallabies test at Nib was sombre, i have 0 faith in the ARU (keeping Spirit or actually wanting IPRC) and watching the Forced robbed and gifted to the Rebels is crushing.

So removal of account is the only thing left

So, do you actually want your account deleted?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If the future of the game hinges on Twiggy's money and expertise, we are not in a good place.

No Wamberal I respect you as a poster so please don't go down this path. Twiggy investing money and providing with his team put together with some experienced and fresh thinking this brings, combined with ARU thinking / resources (read working group under my mate Brett) can only be a good thing. We need to stop being negative towards those who want to get involved like Twiggy with much needed money and ideas with talented team members his resources can buy.. As like in his team people like Eugenie with her Asia and Soccer experience to bring outside ideas to a code who thinks only rugby experienced people can lead our game when reality is one of last football codes to go professional means professional thinking behind the eight ball. Rugby in this country been struggling with innovative thinking and moreso available finances to explore new opportunities. Lets embrace the opportunity and fact it is working closely with the ARU.....

Status
Not open for further replies.