• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
afterall,the Aru are making such a good fist of it,aren't they?

Not quite the point, mate. Twiggy has no proven record in this sort of venture.

Has the thought crossed your mind that the game is just not very popular in Australia? BTW, I remember the huge swell of support when the West Australian bid was approved. It was approved, by the ARU, who took a chance because there was so much community support in Perth. Victoria was actually supposed to get the fourth franchse. Again, that was a brave decision by the ARU. Do you give them any credit for that?

Where has Twiggy been during the intervening years, incidentally?

The opportunity was there. From the Tim Farebrother fiasco on, it has been all downhill. And that is the ARU’s fault?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

Has the thought crossed your mind that the game is just not very popular in Australia? BTW, I remember the huge swell of support when the West Australian bid was approved. It was approved, by the ARU, who took a chance because there was so much community support in Perth. Victoria was actually supposed to get the fourth franchse. Again, that was a brave decision by the ARU. Do you give them any credit for that?

The opportunity was there. From the Tim Farebrother fiasco on, it has been all downhill. And that is the ARU’s fault?

Twiggy was a founding member.

Twiggy was helping fund the future force foundation following the ARUs decision to close the academy's.

Twiggy was a sponsored the force for for the last 4 years as a jersey sponsor.

Twiggy offered to fully fund the force.

Twiggy offered 50mil to rugby in this country.

Where were the aru during this time oh yeah they were reducing the payments to the Force. They were acquiring the license of the Force whilst continuing to bail other teams out.

Im astounded at how the rugby community have turned on Twiggy and on the force and its supporters and basically calling for them to 'get over it it's done move on' well I'm sorry but until it's your team that had been destroyed don't tell me to get over it. You have no idea what it feels like.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
OK. Sorry to see you go.
Cyclo with the patented back door Kevorkian Vas Deferens willie-away manoeuvre there.

Shouldve left the bloke’s account up, they all change their minds, look at “Half”, “my last post here then I quit”, followed 4 posts later by a 7-paragraph soccer state of the union address haha just raggin on ya mate

Google SPONSOR
84770f_ad51c3860088b2f405e2dc36cad63c88.jpg

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)

I don't think you have any idea about rugby in West Australia

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Twiggy was a founding member.

Twiggy was helping fund the future force foundation following the ARUs decision to close the academy's.

Twiggy was a sponsored the force for for the last 4 years as a jersey sponsor.

Twiggy offered to fully fund the force.

Twiggy offered 50mil to rugby in this country.

Where were the aru during this time oh yeah they were reducing the payments to the Force. They were acquiring the license of the Force whilst continuing to bail other teams out.

Im astounded at how the rugby community have turned on Twiggy and on the force and its supporters and basically calling for them to 'get over it it's done move on' well I'm sorry but until it's your team that had been destroyed don't tell me to get over it. You have no idea what it feels like.

Yes they wanted to give it to Melb but their package presented was so under whelming they had no choice but to give it to Perth. The support in WA was there from the beginning, 25 - 35k crowds for the early years 12 yrs ago, The Rebels have not had that size crowd ever. The ARU fucked up that opportunity to grow the game here by making sure the WF never had a realistic chance. The WF's registered players back then were 6000, now 14500, now after 6yrs Victoria is still only 4500. VRU was never a realistic option in comparison to WA and still isn't. WA is now the most financially secure Union and was team, but what did the ARU do! Not to mention they are now propping the Reds again apparently.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

You miss the point completely by saying twiggy has no proven record in this sort of venture by the fact he has paid for a team and will pay for anyone else who has this experience plus ARU working group support. You really are beginning to annoy me with your dumb posts, so what we don't welcome someone willing to contribute significant money the ARU does not have or never will have short term and opportunity to explore alternative opportunities in collaborative fashion is a bad thing?

Seriously I have enough of dumb shit with this code and your posts are just topping it off with the the ridiculous negativity to the best opportunity this code has given has no money and to be frank limited strategic resources to work with which with twiggys team and ARU resources significantly increased iq in this code at a strategic level.

It is not twiggy but the team he has put together who has the iq.

Twiggy is simply providing the resources and intellectual capital that is so lacking in oz rugby.

Sorry but the stupidity of your posts is really annoying me. Stop the dumb shit and actually realise twiggy is busy man who is now about providing resources and money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^

TF will be good for rugby.

We need to wait and see his plans before we go overboard on his effect. But that he will be a positive influence of this there can be no doubt.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The NSW 7:30 report on the ABC ripped the ARU to sheds tonight and raised heaps of question about the axing of the WF.

If anyone has the skill to look up the report and publish I am sure posters would find it interesting. To much to explain in a simple post.

M

Moono75

Time to shake the ARU money tree tomorrow. Lets see how many Monkey's lose their hand holds and fall to Earth!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The NSW 7:30 report on the ABC ripped the ARU to sheds tonight and raised heaps of question about the axing of the WF.

If anyone has the skill to look up the report and publish I am sure posters would find it interesting. To much to explain in a simple post.

It all seemed a bit of nothing to me. We know the Rebels received far more funding than the Force did. We know it wasn't a fair fight in terms of who got cut.

The Force got cut because the ARU controlled the licence.

I understand the desire from Force fans for someone to be held accountable but aside from some public criticism I don't think there is going to be anything further.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It all seemed a bit of nothing to me. We know the Rebels received far more funding than the Force did. We know it wasn't a fair fight in terms of who got cut.

I understand the desire from Force fans for someone to be held accountable but aside from some public criticism I don't think there is going to be anything further.

From Wayne Smith in The Australian: "The Australian Rugby Union had discussed cutting the number of Australian Super Rugby teams from five teams to four in August last year, eight days before entering into the Alliance agreement with the Western Force at which the Perth club voluntarily handed over their licence, a Senate Inquiry was told last night." It appears that getting control of the licence was a premeditated move to have the ability to drop the Force.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)

What if the ARU had the ability to veto the sale to the VRU and the other options were let Melbourne go under or a $1 put to the ARU?

We wouldn't have known any of that without the enquiry.
We wouldn't havr known that Most of the money to the rebels went to Imperium and not yhe MRRU.

So the Force didn't get cut because they were the only option. So why wasn't it Melbourne?? Especially given funding going forward favoured yhe force.

Although one thing, they were right to discard the past financial performance of the rebels looking forward. As now the ARU only have to prop up the rebels and not imperium entities.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
ARU board all need the boot. Ideally there'd be a change in structure to go with it. But even if there isn't they all need to go. They have proven to be incompetent at best. Allowing the Aru to be bled dry to prop up a businessman's private interests.

B

BLR

Although one thing, they were right to discard the past financial performance of the rebels looking forward. As now the ARU only have to prop up the rebels and not imperium entities.

Or focus on the period the ARU were running them, resulting in a $13 million debt wipe before selling off to Cox. Not taking into account past performance is ridiculous and one of the many reasons the Imperium deal didn't work, as they didn't do their numbers with reality in mind.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The 7:30 report item and the Wayne Smith article IMO demonstrate the inquiry is making rugby a laughing stock. Machiavellian machinations have been demonstrated and yet the board still stays. Clyde seems more intent on protecting his and the boards interests above that of the rugby.

Has the inquiry exposed duplicity by the ARU? I am not sure of the answer to this.

As I have stated many times my reading of the tea leafs and tarot cards is the whole thing started when the Fox rating fell in Australia and South African & European rating also fell. That is when they expanded, unnecessarily, into new markets. At which point they stuffed the "operating model". Panic ensued, with meetings about dropping “weak sides" with the need to protect the revenue of the newcomers, took place very early on IMO.

Tis interesting what power or otherwise the inquiry has to change things. My reading of those tea leafs and tarot cards, is other than further moral condemnation, it has little real power to force a change to what’s happened.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Just back from a few days in Perth, have never been there before and was impressed by a fair bit over there.

Great train system, and in general public transport system, has a massive bus inter change as well. Dead boring at night I think it closed with the sun.

Freeo is an amazing place and if you ever go to Perth, its 28 minutes on the train from Perth station and has free buses doing a kinda circuit of the place.

Love the Skyline also IMO a lot better planned city than Brisbane which has a similar population.

Anywho back to the reason for the post, whilst there I sort some local feeling about the Force and the ARU.

Just my personal observations so they could be way off the mark of what locals think. But I found many [most] non-rugby Perth folk believed the ARU [goes looking for the right words] has cheated the people of WA because of the work at Nib stadium and the training facilities. Within the rugby community there was not a stampede to other codes and walking away from rugby but almost [words again] a complete mistrust in the ARU and they were setup by ARU for the ARU’s own incompetence.

Hmmmm errrr cough cough cough don’t shot me but I still think there is a big nay huge future in WA for rugby but not with this board. There is no community / public trust in the current board and I feel if this board stays to long it has the potential to do harm to rugby in WA.

That’s my reading of the tea leafs and Tarro cards from my six days in Perth.

Status
Not open for further replies.