• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

it’s not a cool thing having to share a field with anyone else especially another code. It’s sort of like oztag anyone can play it.

Sorry, I must be missing something as I don't quite understand the concern. Are we talking about not wanting to share space, or not being popular enough to call the shots?

Code-sharing of fields is pretty bog-standard across the country. Local rectangular ovals schedule different sports for different times of the day/weekend. Saturday the junior soccer, Sunday junior rugby. Other ovals for junior AFL.

Even our prime rectangular stadiums share: AAMI in Melbourne has the Rebels, Storm and Victory as co-tenants. I must admit I do despair that a soccer bogan is sitting in my seat. Most bothersome.

NIB in Perth shares as well, as did Subi, and the new stadium.

The reality is that there is only so much recreational space for a growing demand. Surely code sharing is no big deal as long as everyone gets a bite; it only becomes a problem if codes are forced out. Not sure how that can work right now given stadiums are not usually owned by a single code, and grassroots space is managed by the respective councils.

Popularity (and growth/market share) is a whole other can of rice wine, and I happily admit have no answers about that.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes half and while World Rugby goes from strength to strength..we shrink our way to greatness. Even with twiggy's millions going to be a hard gig and long road to get professional rugby just back to where it was in popularity a decade ago.

Agree with this 100%.

I would add also with the Reds finding some form, and the Rebels should add to both crowds and their ratings, the averages for key metrics will grow and by a fair bit.

Trouble as always a four team competition from an Australian stance. As for TW I wish him no harm nor do I in any way want his new competition to fail, just the opposite I want him to be successful. However his new competition seems hyper international and as I have posted before if TW got some shute teams out of Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle, & ACT and the Force as well IMO his would quickly become the new major competition. He already has broadcast in Sydney on 7 if he did this.

Alas my reading of the tea leafs is a wasted opportunity.

Invite 5 Sydney SS teams, say 3 Brisbane, Newcastle, Canberra that's 10 add the Force and that's 11, invite the Revels to join and he has a 12 team.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@Half

I understand why Twig has gone the way he has, and perhaps if ARU had handled relationship building and community communication a WHOLE lot better something may have come from it.

I’d prefer a local build too but not sure the states (especially SS and QPR), NRC and Super would cope with a new national comp. something has to give for a coherent rugby structure.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
@Half

I understand why Twig has gone the way he has, and perhaps if ARU had handled relationship building and community communication a WHOLE lot better something may have come from it.

I’d prefer a local build too but not sure the states (especially SS and QPR), NRC and Super would cope with a new national comp. something has to give for a coherent rugby structure.

I think your right, the miss trust between the states and whatever power and control they have is jealously guarded.

Throw into this RA and its board then add the S board.

Lets not forget the resentment of the NRC by some SS clubs who felt left out and not appreciated.

So me thinks we are in a state of faux, not as bad as the doom dayer's say, but equally with a real risk of sliding into hockey status in time if action is not taken.

Our cough cough cough impressive board with impeccable leadership qualities, combined with a clear and workable version, has failed miserably.

Will these often age old wounds repair themselves for the greater good, history tells me no.

Twiggy IMO had and still has the general support of most in rugby and he could have hhhmmmm is could have to strong aarrrrr he had a chance to unite the various rugby tribes aside from the Super Rugby teams and even then Rebels and maybe ACT would go with him in time.

Will this still be an option in say two years I think not, thus my line of a wasted opportunity.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don’t no why people keep mentioning Shute shield and prem rugby teams for a comp. It just would not work, you invite say 3 SS teams and all that would happen is the other teams would say, why weren’t we invited, their fans would then refuse to support the pro clubs and you’d just be starting another tribal war.

As much as we malign them, any comp without a Waratahs or reds brand would be a flop. They have history and represent a larger demographic than any suburban club. Without a doubt (and as poorly as they have been run at times) they are apart from the wallabies name, the most recognizable and valuable in the landscape.

I played for a QLD prem club for a few years, it was a great place with amazing people. But I can tell you now, there is no infrastructure, no supporter base, no administration throughout the league even remotely close to been able to take on anything remotely professional. I can’t speak for the SS but I’d imagine it wouldn’t be much different. These are great clubs with great people but do not have the capacity to sustain anything more. If you were to manufacture anything more you’d just create spite within the clubs that were ignored, also jeopardize the existing competitions with the major clubs removed from them to pursue professional opportunities.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Don’t no why people keep mentioning Shute shield and prem rugby teams for a comp. It just would not work, you invite say 3 SS teams and all that would happen is the other teams would say, why weren’t we invited, their fans would then refuse to support the pro clubs and you’d just be starting another tribal war.

As much as we malign them, any comp without a Waratahs or reds brand would be a flop. They have history and represent a larger demographic than any suburban club. Without a doubt (and as poorly as they have been run at times) they are apart from the wallabies name, the most recognizable and valuable in the landscape.

I played for a QLD prem club for a few years, it was a great place with amazing people. But I can tell you now, there is no infrastructure, no supporter base, no administration throughout the league even remotely close to been able to take on anything remotely professional. I can’t speak for the SS but I’d imagine it wouldn’t be much different. These are great clubs with great people but do not have the capacity to sustain anything more. If you were to manufacture anything more you’d just create spite within the clubs that were ignored, also jeopardize the existing competitions with the major clubs removed from them to pursue professional opportunities.

Me thinks hhhhmmmm aarrrrrr what you have posted is by a long way the most likely outcome.

For me what is sad so sad is that you are more than likely right.

For close to 20 years now I have banged on about the need to develop a national domestic competition even if at the start its only NSW, OLD & ACT and then build from their with WA a logical choice with a number of NSW & QLD folk moving there.

Its sad because every year we put this back it makes it so much harder to start the process.

There is a point with four sides struggling against new competitions and new national teams in other codes i.e. netball, women's soccer etc. As I started there is a point with four teams, and one playing out of Melbourne we can but struggle to hold on.

Expansion and growth is not even considered. Add Wam's & Strewth's posts re comparing the movement of Super Rugby against other codes and its not a good look.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The SS is probably the most powerful club competition in the land, that's why. At its best, it does produce some pretty watchable rugby, and of course it is on FTA, to a limited audience, but, still, that is better than nothing. It is chock full of tradition, and old rivalries. Could be leveraged? Well, yes, it probably could. Would that be a good idea? Maybe it would be better than nothing.

I am coming to the conclusion that the only way forward for us as a serious sport is to make a strategic withdrawal and concentrate all our meagre resources on the places where the game is strongest. Build on our strengths, forget all about expansion, because it just ain't going to happen. Too much history, too much reality, are against us.

At its best, rugby is a great game to watch. Anything below its best, and if you do not already love it, you will probably hate it.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wam

Tis interesting how many people put down the SS when it is arguably the last bit of rugby in Australia with very strong support, but in numbers in the media and at grass roots.

Re the four Sydney teams coming from the SS this is how I would have put it together. Essentially make four rep teams and still run the SS underneath it they could play on the same day at the same grounds.

For those that don't know these are the SS teams.

Manly
Southern Districts
Warringah
Randwick
Northern Suburs
Eastwood
Sydney Uni
West Harbour
Eastern Suburbs
Gordon
Parramatta
Penrith

Rep team 1. Penrith, Parramatta, West Harbour,

Rep team 2, Southern Districts, Randwick, Eastern Suburbs

Rep team 3, Manly, Warringah, Northern Suburbs

Rep Team 4, Eastwood, Gordon, Sydney Uni

Reactions: dru

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Wam

Tis interesting how many people put down the SS when it is arguably the last bit of rugby in Australia with very strong support, but in numbers in the media and at grass roots.

Re the four Sydney teams coming from the SS this is how I would have put it together. Essentially make four rep teams and still run the SS underneath it they could play on the same day at the same grounds.

For those that don't know these are the SS teams.

Manly
Southern Districts
Warringah
Randwick
Northern Suburs
Eastwood
Sydney Uni
West Harbour
Eastern Suburbs
Gordon
Parramatta
Penrith

Rep team 1. Penrith, Parramatta, West Harbour,

Rep team 2, Southern Districts, Randwick, Eastern Suburbs

Rep team 3, Manly, Warringah, Northern Suburbs

Rep Team 4, Eastwood, Gordon, Sydney Uni

That's the first season of NRC and the clubs wouldn't get on board... Rep team 1 is very weak so you he better players from the other clubs missing out

half

Alan Cameron (40)
That's the first season of NRC and the clubs wouldn't get on board. Rep team 1 is very weak so you he better players from the other clubs missing out

Yep, but times have changed, and IMO Twiggy had / has the presence to pull it off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep, but times have changed, and IMO Twiggy had / has the presence to pull it off.

What does Twiggy have to do with it?

The problem with merging those teams is you lose most of the support of the core fanbase because it is a totally new team that includes the team(s) that are the arch rivals.

You simply can't carry over the support the Shute Shield has into a different competition with combined teams.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's the first season of NRC and the clubs wouldn't get on board. Rep team 1 is very weak so you he better players from the other clubs missing out

The mooted potential set up for the NRC this season is the best possible format in my opinion. Based along fairly traditional representative structures. Sydney and Brisbane, both of the Country's plus Melbourne, Canberra and Perth. Add in the Drua and that would be the best possible option. Period.

Forget the clubs operating at this level. They have a vital role to play but most certainly not as mainstays. Any chance of that being the case came and went over 20 years ago.

The systems should be this. The district clubs should act as elite amateur/semi-professional organisations. Linked with both senior and junior clubs that fall within their districts and similar arrangements with junior clubs in each of the country regions.

They should be used as organisational centres for the greater community game. That is subbies and juniors. The focus should be on community. But we need to look at different options for anything professional. We have the traditional structures in existence and we are beginning to use them in the NRC. But they need further work and promotion to really begin to bare fruit.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What does Twiggy have to do with it?

The problem with merging those teams is you lose most of the support of the core fanbase because it is a totally new team that includes the team(s) that are the arch rivals.

You simply can't carry over the support the Shute Shield has into a different competition with combined teams.

And you really shouldn't try. Taking one club or another will only alienate others. We don't need this. I would be ecstatic if Forrest decided to fund the NRC making it properly professional and then used his clout to get it on FTA with the necessary promotion. But not with clubs.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Sometimes you put your head in your hands look to the sky and ask yourself why. For the love of the holy mother Mary and given we are trying to recover and all that stuff.

Tell me why these two games are not swapped this weekend in timing. Is it just me or does anyone ever think about the draw

Sat Mar 17 Brumbies vs Sharks GIO Stadium, Canberra 7:45 PM​

Sun Mar 18 Waratahs vs Rebels Allianz Stadium, Sydney 4:05 PM​

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sometimes you put your head in your hands look to the sky and ask yourself why. For the love of the holy mother Mary and given we are trying to recover and all that stuff.

Tell me why these two games are not swapped this weekend in timing. Is it just me or does anyone ever think about the draw

Because neither stadium can’t host two sports at one time?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)

Because the Waratahs have travelled back from Argentina after being on SA the week before so an extra day getting back into the time zone would be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll also add that the Brumbies have been on the road for 3 weeks and have played the last two on Friday night (and Saturday afternoon before that), so the extra day would be nice for them..............

Having said that, it's the same night as Skyfire so Friday might've been the better option crowd wise as they'll get an even worse crowd than usual for a South African game.

Status
Not open for further replies.