• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
To be fair the AFL branded themselves the AFL.

NRL just on that bandwagon too. What about soccer though, I imagine soccer is big in the juniors in WA as it is everywhere.

Yeah soccer has some traction in the juniors for sure, but it doesn't seem to translate across to senior ranks. The Glory are reasonably well supported though, at about the same level as the Force.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The A-League is quite popular in Melbourne, and after the AFL would easily be the next most popular football tournament.......

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
smh reporting Fiji hopes of joining Super Rugby are fading.

Interesting article in many ways.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...anzaar-push-world-league-20181015-p509o1.html

Is this not the ultimate indictment on Super rugby though, they've had 20 years to develop some sort of plan regards the Pacific, and done right, they could have added value, or at least been cost neutral, with there supporter base, and the legitimacy of there team. but no. It is sad that the competition is so broke and lacking in alternatives, that this is the reality.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Is this not the ultimate indictment on Super rugby though, they've had 20 years to develop some sort of plan regards the Pacific, and done right, they could have added value, or at least been cost neutral, with there supporter base, and the legitimacy of there team. but no. It is sad that the competition is so broke and lacking in alternatives, that this is the reality.

Tonga could never, ever support a professional sporting franchise.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Why would they? Much as we all dream how nice it would be to have a team from one of the Islands, it has absolutely no advantages to it. Look AR have been shelling out to have Force (finished now) and Rebels in the comp, which RU is going to pay for a Pacific Island team, it just seems to add a lost of cost, but would add nothing in revenue stream etc. I just don't see it as being realistic unfortunately!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
In the short term the Pacific Islands should look to having a semi-pro team in the NRC each. Only when this is established should they look at the next level.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Dan I know it's gone and dead and buried but the Force over the years cost RA fark all! Suddenly SANZAAR are claiming a buy in of 18- 20 odd mill. Yet the illustrious joke of a chairman of RA turns down 70mill to keep the Force in and be no cost what so ever to the RA or SANZAAR. Talk about a dying bloody debacle! FIJI come to WSR!

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Why would they? Much as we all dream how nice it would be to have a team from one of the Islands, it has absolutely no advantages to it. Look AR have been shelling out to have Force (finished now) and Rebels in the comp, which RU is going to pay for a Pacific Island team, it just seems to add a lost of cost, but would add nothing in revenue stream etc. I just don't see it as being realistic unfortunately!

Yes, and the reason it is unrealistic is the whole structure of Super rugby, it does not allow for the flexibility in thinking, structural change and finance to do it.

It just makes the whole thing a farce.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
My take on the article referencing the World League and the delay for finalising Super Rugby/RC, is that there is a chance that IF the revenue sharing from the World League is somewhat equitable it may alleviate the pressure on Super Rugby to be built with only finances in mind. The World League revenue may also assist a nation like Fiji to actually fund a team in whatever comp happens in 2021.

The World League is only going to see the light of day if revenue is shared equitably. The AB's in particular know they can make money playing games in the US etc... they wont want to give up that autonomy for no $$$. the reason they haven't played England is because England wont share any gate money.

So I would think revenue sharing will be high on the list. The revenue may also assist countries like France to get back some kind of power in their own country where rich billionaires and clubs currently push the national body around. England are also in the same boat in some ways. Each nation has their own reasons for liking this concept.

whilst i was quite alarmed when i first read about the proposal, the more i consider it the less aghast i become.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
smh reporting Fiji hopes of joining Super Rugby are fading.

Interesting article in many ways.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...anzaar-push-world-league-20181015-p509o1.html

Sometimes I think rugby journos just throw darts at a map of the world after they've been spun round on their chair three times in either direction. Fiji with WR (World Rugby) assistance can just afford a semi-pro NRC team, htf are they gunna fund a fully-pro Super Rugby or equivalent/ replacement one?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Their

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

5390a073b665b.jpeg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes, and the reason it is unrealistic is the whole structure of Super rugby, it does not allow for the flexibility in thinking, structural change and finance to do it.

It just makes the whole thing a farce.

Just out of interest hoggy, what would you have suggested they do so that an island team could be in at no cost to them?

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Sometimes I think rugby journos just throw darts at a map of the world after they've been spun round on their chair three times in either direction. Fiji with WR (World Rugby) assistance can just afford a semi-pro NRC team, htf are they gunna fund a fully-pro Super Rugby or equivalent/ replacement one?

Says the guy suggesting Southland should join the NRC....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ WSR & as an alternative to North Harbour or some cobbled-together "Mitre 10 All Stars" outfit, the first being in direct competition with the Blues just down the road (as opposed to hours up the road in the case of Southland & Clan) & the second a collection of has-beers & might never-be's with a marquee player or two drafted in. Plus apparently there's Clubs in Southland Country that are in favour of defecting to the Heartland Championship.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Both good and bad news.

News reporting today Tahs will play 3 games at the new Parramatta stadium, the day after the Parramatta RL and I believe Wanders both rejected playing their @ $ 210, 000 per match.

Good news is finally playing in Western Sydney.

If they are paying over $ 210, 000 plus per match for stadium hire and then add security cost. Well it sounds like a loss unless they can fill it.

Article link . https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...m/news-story/bcaf2f13aa0643a2208a521796f5c5c9

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Both good and bad news.

News reporting today Tahs will play 3 games at the new Parramatta stadium, the day after the Parramatta RL and I believe Wanders both rejected playing their @ $ 210, 000 per match.

Good news is finally playing in Western Sydney.

If they are paying over $ 210, 000 plus per match for stadium hire and then add security cost. Well it sounds like a loss unless they can fill it.

Article link . https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...m/news-story/bcaf2f13aa0643a2208a521796f5c5c9
Do they get to keep most of the ticket costs? If so, they shouldn't have any problem turning a profit at all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.