• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've been pushing something fairly similar. The 4 Super Rugby franchises combine with the Force, Fiji, Samoa and if the Sunwolves are cut and find their way to GRR them in a re-worked NRC. Either run it as a straight 7 weeks plus finals or a ten game schedule with teams playing three teams twice and the other four just once on a rotating schedule year on year plus a four team finals series.

It may not draw in as much as Super Rugby regarding dollars but we've seen that so far this season the games involving Aus teams (and I'm including the Sunwolves in this) have drawn far above that of other games.

Any Japanese team wouldn’t work because they would be into the top league season at that stage.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sunwolves last year will be 2020, although some confusion around the date and nothing would surprise me.

SANZAAR will officially say more on Friday at 2pm, East Coast Elite Time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What makes you think that will be the case? Even if we had something to bargain with we're dealing with two hostile partners who have no interest in hearing out our concerns on any issue.

We've got our preferred option at many points in the past, particularly around local derbies, keeping a full share of broadcast revenue despite dropping the Force etc.

I do agree that South Africa is the most hostile partner but I don't think NZ is. They just choose to remain silent when an issue doesn't effect them.

I note that it seems the JRFU was in favour of them being removed from Super Rugby.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Another nail in the coffin, as a code we are struggling for renewal of the fan / player base.

We are under enormous pressure, from other codes

The NRL, AFL & Cricket, have media gatekeepers keeping most other codes away from any serious coverage. Maybe Netball with its relationship with the AFL receives say over coverage for what it is. Basketball with its huge international presence only second to soccer, massive player numbers and with years of having both men’s and women’s national competitions, must wonder what it has to do to get say a fraction of the Netball coverage.

I despise SANZAAR, it’s so caught up in its own importance and as I have often posted looks after its own interest before the interest of its members. The arrogance SANZAAR has of its place in the rugby world I find scary. If a new body takes over in a worldly sense, then heaven help us, they will make SANZAAR likeable.

I have posted many times and humbly repeat we need a national domestic competition, run the way the US codes run their codes. Until we bite the bullet and set up a workable national domestic competition we will continue to slide. The fear of how will we replace the revenue is crazy as if we allow the game to continue to shrink until those with the golden chains no longer want us there will be almost nothing left to grow a national domestic competition.

I am greatly saddened our administrators have allowed this to happen, and angry in many ways at those who over decades have defended them.

I fear also as a group we don’t have the unity of purpose, courage, common sense to rise up like the league folk in Save Souths, nor soccer recently if throwing out its governing body. We as a group argue all sorts of pros and cons. However, the arguments essentially are how to maintain the status-que rather than look at how to develop and grow rugby and that can only happen with a national domestic competition.

Reactions: dru

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I would prefer to see a Super comp with the current Australian and New Zealand conferences plus an invitation for Fiji, Samoa, and Tonga to each field a team. Double round robin is achievable with that, just look at the English and French comps. I love the South African tours but I hate that the cost is the degredation of an entire comp.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would prefer to see a Super comp with the current Australian and New Zealand conferences plus an invitation for Fiji, Samoa, and Tonga to each field a team. Double round robin is achievable with that, just look at the English and French comps. I love the South African tours but I hate that the cost is the degredation of an entire comp.

The only way the PI nations are involved is if the Nations League gets up. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to field competitive teams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jesus, what a shit fight.

I'd rather give the Jappo's the South African spots in the Super competition than lose the Sunwolves. For Australians, losing the Sunwolves means we lose another team who plays during our prime time.

Honest truth I would rather we didn't call Japanese Jappo's, I know it being picky, and you don't mean anything by it Ig, but I think we should keep a few standards, no matter how picky it seems.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I have a genius idea. This could be a new Australian team that's travel friendly for SA, gives us another team and time slot to watch, not sure anyone has thought of it, but what about putting a team in Perth?

You might be on to something.

Honestly, things started to go tits up when SA shoehorned in the Kings and greed saw the Sunwolves and Jaguares come in for reasons. What should have happened was if they really hated the conference system so much they could have reverted back to the round robin with 14 games featuring the then 15 teams. Each team could then have opened up a designated 3 places for Argentine players, three for PI players and 1 or 2 places for Japanese players in the respective squads and then removed the boundaries around having to play in country to qualify for your national team and expand them to playing for any team in Super Rugby with the provision of X% of spots in each franchise have to be filled by players eligible for the nations its domiciled. Boom. Much more interesting competition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have a genius idea. This could be a new Australian team that's travel friendly for SA, gives us another team and time slot to watch, not sure anyone has thought of it, but what about putting a team in Perth?

Yes, and no one thought about this considering a possible future domestic future? No one but half of the posters on this thread.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sad state of affairs as I was starting to enjoy sun wolves games this season and yes they are prime time friendly and offer more regional affinity than South Africa. I get it that oz did not want this but saffa’s by virtue of broadcast rights balance of power hold the upper hand.just reinforce the priority to explore other options to create more regional friendly competitions like grr and domestic comps that could evolve from that (ie expanded nrc with Samoa, Japan etc )

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes, and no one thought about this considering a possible future domestic future? No one but half of the posters on this thread.
No round robin competition with saffas just reinforces need to try and find alternatives competition to grow / develop and lessen reliance on super rugby and saffas. Saffas not interested in sun wolves and most oz fans not interested in playing South African teams in super rugby. Can anyone else see the common problem here...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully this somehow helps pave the way for a Trans Tasman competition from 2021. RA and NZRU have let South Africa get what they want in the last couple of negotiations and we've now got one less stakeholder to keep happy.

NZ and Australia both know that a 14 round competition (13 games) plus finals isn't enough to keep the teams healthy financially and also the old Super 14 used to conclude at the end of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.