• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully this somehow helps pave the way for a Trans Tasman competition from 2021. RA and NZRU have let South Africa get what they want in the last couple of negotiations and we've now got one less stakeholder to keep happy.

NZ and Australia both know that a 14 round competition (13 games) plus finals isn't enough to keep the teams healthy financially and also the old Super 14 used to conclude at the end of May.
In one breath you advocate for a Trans Tasman competition and simultaneously state that ~13 games is not enough to keep the coffers full with Super Rugby.

How do you think the coffers will look with a Trans Tasman competition remembering that the largest share of revenue comes from broadcasting? Without SA you will lose millions of SA viewers and by extension European viewers who are aligned to the SA time zone.

Quite frankly I don't care if SA is booted. What astonishes me is the level of ignorance from some sections and the general hostility from Australian fans towards SA when in reality there would be nothing without SA.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In one breath you advocate for a Trans Tasman competition and simultaneously state that ~13 games is not enough to keep the coffers full with Super Rugby.

How do you think the coffers will look with a Trans Tasman competition remembering that the largest share of revenue comes from broadcasting? Without SA you will lose millions of SA viewers and by extension European viewers who are aligned to the SA time zone.

I think the broadcast revenue potential of a competition involving the NZ teams is still strong. I agree we would lose millions of South African viewers but there would still be some appetite for the competition there.

The European viewership I think would still be strong and valuable. I think there is substantial demand for games that aren't direct competition to their own games (i.e. the NZ/Aus timezone).

A Trans Tasman comp would hopefully be 16 (double round robin).

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the broadcast revenue potential of a competition involving the NZ teams is still strong. I agree we would lose millions of South African viewers but there would still be some appetite for the competition there.

The European viewership I think would still be strong and valuable. I think there is substantial demand for games that aren't direct competition to their own games (i.e. the NZ/Aus timezone).

A Trans Tasman comp would hopefully be 16 (double round robin).
Maybe they should trial it then with Super Rugby.

As far as I understand games in NZ and Aus are deliberately played at a certain time so the SA public has a chance to view it live. Change it so it suits Aus and NZ more as a trial.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Quite frankly I don't care if SA is booted. What astonishes me is the level of ignorance from some sections and the general hostility from Australian fans towards SA when in reality there would be nothing without SA.
Having lived in Ireland and the UK, I'll give you a bit of advice. No one watches SA games. They watch the NZ and Aus games, when SA games are on so is all the local content. So who do you think they will watch? There local team or a game from SA?

Where the other games are on when no other live sport is available.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Nah we just more understand interests not aligned - most understand South Africa has the power and why they are wielding it. More just that yes we are dependent on South Africa for super rugby and hence need to find alternatives longer term.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The interest levels of viewing audiences is higher (and significantly so) in games involving Aus/Aus and Aus/NZ games in Aus. The ratings reflect this. A competition featuring say 10 teams playing home and away offers broadcasts more content in friendly time zones with a higher average viewing base.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Maybe they should trial it then with Super Rugby.

As far as I understand games in NZ and Aus are deliberately played at a certain time so the SA public has a chance to view it live. Change it so it suits Aus and NZ more as a trial.

It's currently 7 pm in Sydney. And 10 am in South Africa. The NZ games kick off at 5:30 pm Sydney time which is 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday. Is that really all that convenient. I think you'll find our games are scheduled to be convenient for our local markets.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Twiggy is an opportunist -he will jump on the subwolves as already have decent loyal following and would provide excellent pr and publicity for grr by signing the sunwolves. I assume a western
Sydney team would also be joining the sunwolves in grr next year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Smart decision strategically by South Africa.
Japan actually presented future revenue broadcast potential for Australian and New Zealand, by South Africa playing their hand and getting the Sunwolves cut that opportunity is now removed and the negotiating power is now firmly back in the hands of South Africa for the next broadcast agreement.

Come next broadcast negotiations, South Africa will demand a greater share of the pie again because of the European timezone or threaten to leave, Australia and New Zealand don't have an alternative to leverage their own argument back.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Since the beginnings of professional rugby Oz and Nz have been living on other people’s money... namely SA’s via SANZAAR deals for Super Rugby and RC, and BILs tours.
Australia needs other people’s money because it has failed to win market share, and NZ because it has always had peak market share but in a small market.
Japan was an attempt to get more of other people’s money.
The last broadcast deal was boosted by other people’s money from Euro tv rights.
3rd Bled is about getting other people’s money, as are extra games in the US.
The World League was another chance at other people’s money.

After 20 years they are back where they started. Back on SA’s money.

RA and NZR have the worse economic environment to peddle their wares of any of the teir 1 test nations.

Geographically they are outsiders.

None of the near neighbours care enough about rugby or have populations that make them financially viable as partners.

Both countries are quickly losing control of their own fates. They are at the mercy of the decisions made by other national unions.

Interesting times ahead.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Just wondering at what stage are we going to have leadership at Rugby AU that won't immediately acquiesce to threats made by the South Africans. I am willing to bet that if Australia had said nope, your deranged competition just won't do, when SA first went FUBAR in 2016, we could easily have a fully functioning domestic only competition on ourselves by now that would be doing better than our current super rugby teams.

We need to stop being pushed around by SA who have made without fail every single dumb decision in recent Super Rugby history and stand up for our sovereignty as a union. Tell SA we are not happy with the marriage and not afraid to divorce, even if it means some pain. Tell NZ they too need to stand up to the constant pushing around that comes from the Republic.

Pathetic and weak leadership and another day which makes me embarrassed to be a Rugby fan. Also pathetic by SA, but at least they stand up for their national interest. We never do

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Australia and New Zealand should immediately begin developing plans for a Trans-Tasman comp in secret.

They should have 5 NZ Teams, 5 Aus teams, 3 pacific island teams and a Japanese team for 14 teams
Home and away with semi finals and a final, with two byes per team
This would give the comp an ideal 16 week length regular season, total length 18 weeks.
The players associations would love this tournament as it lightens their load
the Broadcasters would love this tournament because ALL games are played within timezones close to each other.
The fans would love this competition because they would recognise almost all of the teams, and the pacific island teams would attract significant away support, generating great atmosphere at games
They would also love the simple home and away format and finals calculations

The group could be funded in a joint news ltd / Foxtel / Twiggy partnership, putting to bed the rebel alliance which is splitting at our flank.

The best part about this is we then go to the next SANZAAR meeting, sit down, have South Africa threaten us and promptly walk out of the meeting, and then just never talk to them again while we enjoy a feast of high quality rugby that keeps literally everyone happy.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I have a genius idea. This could be a new Australian team that's travel friendly for SA, gives us another team and time slot to watch, not sure anyone has thought of it, but what about putting a team in Perth?

coincidentally the NRL has started talking about Perth again this week

Kiwikrs

Bob McCowan (2)
Just wondering at what stage are we going to have leadership at Rugby AU that won't immediately acquiesce to threats made by the South Africans. I am willing to bet that if Australia had said nope, your deranged competition just won't do, when SA first went FUBAR in 2016, we could easily have a fully functioning domestic only competition on ourselves by now that would be doing better than our current super rugby teams.

We need to stop being pushed around by SA who have made without fail every single dumb decision in recent Super Rugby history and stand up for our sovereignty as a union. Tell SA we are not happy with the marriage and not afraid to divorce, even if it means some pain. Tell NZ they too need to stand up to the constant pushing around that comes from the Republic.

Pathetic and weak leadership and another day which makes me embarrassed to be a Rugby fan. Also pathetic by SA, but at least they stand up for their national interest. We never do

And you win the dumbest comment award

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
"The group could be funded in a joint news ltd / Foxtel / Twiggy partnership, putting to bed the rebel alliance which is splitting at our flank."
Why would Twiggy or WA rugby want to get into bed with RA - $70 million wasn't enough for them and they didn't even have the respect to fly to Perth to discuss it , they would only go as far as Adelaide then tried to send WA rugby bankrupt - still a lot of anger in the west

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The positive I see out of all of this is that we get a shorter season of Super Rugby where each game means a lot more that it does in a longer season. This is why I love the NFL, a short season means every loss can cost you the season, the stakes are higher.
The potential downside is that shit referees can cost you the season with a poor call.
Longer seasons take this chance on decisions out of the equation to a certain degree.

The positive with the shorter season is that RA has an opportunity to pump money into the NRC and make it mean something, be bold and revamp the comp where any non Wallabies play every week and we get near super rugby quality games in prime time on free to air TV every weekend and have a short round robin season then go to the international calendar.

But unfortunately I have no faith in RA making the best out of this situation so I am left to my only other possible positive and that is that we might have a chance to see Sean Mcmahon in a Reds jersey and that maybe the Reds could look further than their carpark and have a chat to Tony Brown. Hayden Parker would look good in Red as well

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The positive I see out of all of this is that we get a shorter season of Super Rugby where each game means a lot more that it does in a longer season. This is why I love the NFL, a short season means every loss can cost you the season, the stakes are higher.
The potential downside is that shit referees can cost you the season with a poor call.
Longer seasons take this chance on decisions out of the equation to a certain degree.

The positive with the shorter season is that RA has an opportunity to pump money into the NRC and make it mean something, be bold and revamp the comp where any non Wallabies play every week and we get near super rugby quality games in prime time on free to air TV every weekend and have a short round robin season then go to the international calendar.

But unfortunately I have no faith in RA making the best out of this situation so I am left to my only other possible positive and that is that we might have a chance to see Sean Mcmahon in a Reds jersey and that maybe the Reds could look further than their carpark and have a chat to Tony Brown. Hayden Parker would look good in Red as well
I don’t really like the comparisons with the NFL, as it’s probably the only example of less is more succeeding in a sporting context. Even that’s a little misunderstood as American television is inundated with hundreds/if not thousands of college football games on during the same time of the year every Saturday each year. There is also 32 teams providing 16 games a week at viewer friendly times to engage with. So content is not sparse.

Status
Not open for further replies.