• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Show-n-go

Tell me honestly would you prefer staying up until midnight and watching games or just get up an hour or 2 earlier in morning and watch them while you fresh? To me 9.30-10 is less prefrable to 4-6am . Well like a lot in Qld I tend to rise early anyway as a lot start work etc early to beat the heat. I merely pointing out that although SA may seem not too good for you to many in NZ it is a lot better.

Easily staying up till midnight, not even a second though about it.

I could think of absolutely nothing worse than getting up 4am on a Sunday morning to watch a super rugby game and in the nicest way I think you’re a tad delusional to think any great portion of the rugby watching community would join you

S

Show-n-go

Naa mate I saying if Aus games kicked off at 3pm, that is 5 in NZ and follow that up with 7.30 kick off in NZ, see then everyone be happy, then if Saffas had all 8pm kick offs would be evn better!!;) Think we should all start a petition for it, then everyone would be over the moon!

Except a large portion are out watching or playing rugby on a Saturday afternoon, afternoon on a Friday obviously doesn’t work which leaves Sunday the only viable afternoon day. Which is great for a few games a year but I’d personally hate for every single Aussie game to be an arvo fixture

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Except a large portion are out watching or playing rugby on a Saturday afternoon, afternoon on a Friday obviously doesn’t work which leaves Sunday the only viable afternoon day. Which is great for a few games a year but I’d personally hate for every single Aussie game to be an arvo fixture

The point most have been making has how bad has the scheduling been over a long period of time 10/15 years, this has had a slow but steady detrimental effect on support.
Yet compare this to say how the AFL schedule there matches over the weekend, rugby ends up looking like rank amateurs. Yes we all know a multi nation competition isn't easy to accommodate, but they don't seem to have really tried to address the issue.

One example the ANZAC weekend the NRL/AFL scheduling for this milks the crap out of it, just look at the spectacle the AFL puts on. Yet Rugby Union which has a far more genuine ANZAC relationship, just look at the scheduling over the last 10 years.

Reactions: dru
S

Show-n-go

The point most have been making has how bad has the scheduling been over a long period of time 10/15 years, this has had a slow but steady detrimental effect on support.
Yet compare this to say how the AFL schedule there matches over the weekend, rugby ends up looking like rank amateurs. Yes we all know a multi nation competition isn't easy to accommodate, but they don't seem to have really tried to address the issue.

One example the ANZAC weekend the NRL/AFL scheduling for this milks the crap out of it, just look at the spectacle the AFL puts on. Yet Rugby Union which has a far more genuine ANZAC relationship, just look at the scheduling over the last 10 years.

What do you think the scheduling should look like?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
100% they should seek to accomodate ANZAC day matches against New Zealand teams over that round.

I don’t know if it happened in 2019, but I remember in 2018 there were some Friday or Saturday nights where there were no games in prime time because of scheduling, that’s pretty poor. I was flicking over to the NRL as a result.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If a trans-Tasman comp happens you could have the extra Bledisloe on an Anzac Day weekend. That would be massive for the game and a huge ratings bonanza.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Naa mate I saying if Aus games kicked off at 3pm, that is 5 in NZ and follow that up with 7.30 kick off in NZ, see then everyone be happy, then if Saffas had all 8pm kick offs would be evn better!!;) Think we should all start a petition for it, then everyone would be over the moon!

Really Dan, in what world would any rugby fan want to finish watching matches at 7.30 on Friday or Saturday night? 6.30 if you're unfortunate enough to live in Queensland?

I think you are suffering from projecting your own foibles onto the Australian rugby community at large.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yeah mate ,I taking the piss with those times, just kind of showing the reason Aus tends to want SA out of Super rugby is because times don't suit us here in Aus, but really just showing (tongue in cheek) another way of looking at it!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Easily staying up till midnight, not even a second though about it.

I could think of absolutely nothing worse than getting up 4am on a Sunday morning to watch a super rugby game and in the nicest way I think you’re a tad delusional to think any great portion of the rugby watching community would join you

Well tell me why so many games from Perth used to be played early? Because not a lot of even Aussies would stay up for 9 o'clock kick offs apparently (and read that one reason Fox were keen to see them cut). Look as my post above I taking the piss a bit and saying we all getting a little overboard with wanting games kicked off when it suits us , and noone else! Personally if we had just an Aus tournament that would be the best,timewise, but as seen with NRC not a lot of interest in rugby terms. We all want NZ teams in because the NZ time suits us down to the ground, but I just making point time not really good for NZ. And I can tell you apparently sky's viewing figures of Aussie time games isn't all that flash in NZ. See with me if team play that I follow I will get up at anytime to watch, and have been for years, but as for delusional I know it not a lot, but the ones I chatted to at home (NZ) over xmas reckoned they would prefer getting up an hour or 2 earlier than staying up until midnight. Man you want to see how many people are up at pubs having early breakfst at 5-6am when there test match or something on TV.
We have an international game, and the curse of having a game played by whole world , the games aren't just played to suit one country!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Really Dan, in what world would any rugby fan want to finish watching matches at 7.30 on Friday or Saturday night? 6.30 if you're unfortunate enough to live in Queensland?

I think you are suffering from projecting your own foibles onto the Australian rugby community at large.

Once again, in NZ the games would finish at 9-930!!

S

Show-n-go

Man you want to see how many people are up at pubs having early breakfst at 5-6am when there test match or something on TV.
We have an international game, and the curse of having a game played by whole world , the games aren't just played to suit one country!

Comparing a one off test match for an international fixture to a weekly club competition doesn’t really do your argument any great service

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Aus and NZ are already providing the best possible game times for each other and also SA (our later kick offs mean mid morning/lunch time tv for them). What we are arguing is that it obviously isn’t happening in the reverse, otherwise SA would schedule more later kickoffs when playing NZ teams and earlier kickoffs when playing Aus teams.

As for the point of getting up at 4am instead of staying up to 1130pm, it’s chalk and cheese in the advertising world. There is a reason why and it’s because the general viewership numbers are not even in the same spectrum. It’s why you can’t go to the cinemas at 4am in the morning but can do for a session starting 930pm because there is no demand for a 4am movie.

Most of us are arguing for NZ interests as well by saying later kickoff times in SA should be happening when involving NZ teams. No one is wanting to change the NZ 730 kickoff time to suit our needs, because we all know 530 Aus time is as good as we can expect from them, just like 930NZ time is as good as NZ can expect from us. 12-2, 2-4 an 4-6 isn’t the best SA could do for us as ‘partners’. A 730 kickoff in SA could provide kiwi viewers with 630am kickoff times, providing sky with better value for their content and 2pm kick offs when playing Aus teams would provide Fox Sports with their best possible time slot given the difficulties running a comp in multiple time zones.

From the sounds of it, NZ and Aus are both starting to realize the need to provide better value for their own broadcasters and fans going forward

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Comparing a one off test match for an international fixture to a weekly club competition doesn’t really do your argument any great service

yep you right Show, think more to the point my son who a cricket fan watched T20 game last night, but couldn't be buggered watching the game from Perth he was actually interested in (Brisbane Heat) because of timing. As I said I really just taking the piss on it , but do know that figures in NZ are really down on games that kick off at 9.30pm. And yes I know we got as good as we can get. Our own WOB has said he doesn't watch the games from Oz since he returned to NZ, and perhaps because I getting closer to doing same I maybe wanting my viewing to be as convenient as it is in here;).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From the sounds of it, NZ and Aus are both starting to realize the need to provide better value for their own broadcasters and fans going forward

The difference being that NZRU seem to be doing fine commercially. Aus is hampered by the broadcast slots and content. Something needs doing that is more than NZ myopia.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
NZ has been doing fine because they are all conquering and won everything. NZ not winning the WC was a blessing in disguise for us as it will eventually hit their marketing areas if they can’t promote to sponsors that they are world champs etc.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Once again, in NZ the games would finish at 9-930!!

I think you've finally lost it Dan.

Either the NZ game starts at 7.30 NZ time and finishes at 9.30 NZ time, which is a finish time here of only 7.30 AEST. Or the NZ game starts at 7. 30 AEST and finishes at 9.30 AEST which is 11.30 NZ time. One situation is unlikely to be acceptable to most Aussies because it finishes too early, or the other is unacceptable, by your own words, to the vast majority of NZers because Mummy has put them to bed long before 11.30 at night.

Please tell where I do not understand your take on the times.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
NZ has been doing fine because they are all conquering and won everything. NZ not winning the WC was a blessing in disguise for us as it will eventually hit their marketing areas if they can’t promote to sponsors that they are world champs etc.

Don’t conflate the ABs with Super. WBs still do well, the issue is Super in Aus.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think you've finally lost it Dan.

Either the NZ game starts at 7.30 NZ time and finishes at 9.30 NZ time, which is a finish time here of only 7.30 AEST. Or the NZ game starts at 7. 30 AEST and finishes at 9.30 AEST which is 11.30 NZ time. One situation is unlikely to be acceptable to most Aussies because it finishes too early, or the other is unacceptable, by your own words, to the vast majority of NZers because Mummy has put them to bed long before 11.30 at night.

Please tell where I do not understand your take on the times.

Don't let it worry you BR, as I said I was taking the piss the show how we could all just want games that suit our own particular time slot, it was in answer to posters who think SA should be dropped because timezone is not convenient for their viewing time. As I said it wasn't serious just showing that it never be convenient for everyone because we follow an international game. Take my word for it (as I ahve siad I not really serious) I not really suggesting changing times, just don't say we shouldn't have SA teams because it may mean recording games!

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Don’t conflate the ABs with Super. WBs still do well, the issue is Super in Aus.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ffer-clues-for-australia-20200112-p53qqw.html

The whole issue with Super rugby comes down to its reason for being, its slave relationship to Test rugby.

Every inherent flaw in the competition highlighted from day one was justified and never addressed, as it primary responsibility was to support the national teams.

The problem is when your governing bodies openly admit they don't care about the competition as long as the national team is supported, so with the relaxing of things like the Giteau law and SA picking overseas players you end up with a situation of justifying why the competition even exists

Status
Not open for further replies.