• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
How does involving a team that is basically the Argentina Test side that constantly beats Aus teams bring fans back?

I'm not totally opposed to the Jaguares featuring. There's direct flights to BA from Auckland so it's not too tough of a trip. If we went to 10 team playing in a double round robin format 17 of he 18 games would be in more favourable timezones. So not too bad. Which would be the simplest solution if SA went north en masse.

That said. A competition featuring all games in favourable timezones involving both us, NZ and Japan would be better suited to our needs. The question then would be whether it would be in the form of NZ - 5, Aus - 4 (assuming GRR remain independent) plus the Sunwolves with the seemingly likely introduction of the Pro League from 2021 in Japan. Or some kind of 3x5 split or something along those lines. If at all.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How would you fix it then wise guy.

I've only said it a thousand times - Trans-Tasman comp. Free movement. Involve Japan and/or Fiji don't really care.

The teams are the NRC teams + Mitre10 Cup teams sans a few. 8 Aus, 10 NZ split.

Woldog

Peter Burge (5)
I've only said it a thousand times - Trans-Tasman comp. Free movement. Involve Japan and/or Fiji don't really care.

The teams are the NRC teams + Mitre10 Cup teams sans a few. 8 Aus, 10 NZ split.

Yes that'll bring the fans back. Watching Australian teams get pumped every week by NZ teams. It's genius.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
How many people have you seen in the stands in South Africa and New Zealand this year. Attendance is poor everywhere in the Southern Hemisphere.

That's because Super Rugby has completely shit the bed in terms of relevance to it's marketplace. That has little to do with the actual health of the game on a global scale. We're seeing great crowds for the Top League in Japan. Major League Rugby entering it's 3rd season with a significantly increased media presence and the inauguration of two new professional leagues in the SLAR and the Continental Rugby League in Europe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, Aus 5 - NZ 7/8. Would be far more competitively balanced that way.

Not a proper comp imo. Need something that is similar to NRL/AFL in terms of matches and length of comp.

8: Perth, Melbourne, Canberra, Western Syd, North Syd/Manly, East/Sydney, Brisbane, 2nd Brisbane/GC/North QLD

10 NZ: the 14 Mitre 10 Cup sides take out Southland, Counties, Manawatu and Northland.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not a proper comp imo. Need something that is similar to NRL/AFL in terms of matches and length of comp.

8: Perth, Melbourne, Canberra, Western Syd, North Syd/Manly, East/Sydney, Brisbane, 2nd Brisbane/GC/North QLD

10 NZ: the 14 Mitre 10 Cup sides take out Southland, Counties, Manawatu and Northland.

Twelve teams playing each other home and away would mean a 22 game season. Seems like a pretty solid season to me. It also wouldn't dilute things too much which would preserve the quality of the competition.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Let’s live in the real world, in no reality can NZ afford any more than the current 5 sides. The 6th biggest city in NZ would have less people than some suburbs in Sydney. Equally any competition that doesn’t have the Brumbies, Reds or Tahs brands would fail miserably.

11 teams (5 Aus, 5 NZ, 1 Fiji) with free trade between the sides is the way to go. But trade would have to be between NZ, Aus and PI players only with bye weeks incorporated to allow players to go back to their country and be a part of training camps. A Beauden Barrett playing for the Tahs would make a massive difference.

Woldog

Peter Burge (5)
Let’s live in the real world, in no reality can NZ afford any more than the current 5 sides. The 6th biggest city in NZ would have less people than some suburbs in Sydney. Equally any competition that doesn’t have the Brumbies, Reds or Tahs brands would fail miserably.

11 teams (5 Aus, 5 NZ, 1 Fiji) with free trade between the sides is the way to go. But trade would have to be between NZ, Aus and PI players only with bye weeks incorporated to allow players to go back to their country and be a part of training camps. A Beauden Barrett playing for the Tahs would make a massive difference.

Until Beauden doesn't show up until round 7. But I agree without the brands that have been established the idea would flounder. People have put nearly 30 years into Reds brand support or Waratahs brand support. Why alienate the fans you already have secured.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

The only issue i have with that format would be a 12th team to ensure 6 games per round, but where i'm not sure, you would want a 2nd team in NSW, the biggest market. But also agreed you would need a free market within the competition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
How many people have you seen in the stands in South Africa and New Zealand this year. Attendance is poor everywhere in the Southern Hemisphere.

Weren't the Sharks getting close to 30,000? Blew my brain but is claimed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Bath has a population of 88k yet has one of if not the best attendance in the Enhlish Premiership. I'd hazard to guess Tauranga and the wider BoP region would be just as engaged Rugby fans as those of Bath and with in the case of Tauranga 1.5 times the population and in case of the region a bit less than 3.5 times. Fiji could fill the spot a 7th NZ squad would. I've no problems with that. And I'm not suggesting we use new teams in such a structure. The NZ Super Rugby squads are based largely off regional lines. That would remain as well. So our teams would continue to be the Tahs, Reds, Brumbies, REbels and in this instance Force.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bath has a population of 88k yet has one of if not the best attendance in the Enhlish Premiership. I'd hazard to guess Tauranga and the wider BoP region would be just as engaged Rugby fans as those of Bath and with in the case of Tauranga 1.5 times the population and in case of the region a bit less than 3.5 times. Fiji could fill the spot a 7th NZ squad would. I've no problems with that. And I'm not suggesting we use new teams in such a structure. The NZ Super Rugby squads are based largely off regional lines. That would remain as well. So our teams would continue to be the Tahs, Reds, Brumbies, REbels and in this instance Force.
Neighboring towns and infrastructure around Bath is considering larger or more advanced than what’s on offer in smaller towns in Aus or NZ. Opposing fans been able to travel to the game and towns within an hour drive of the Rec would make that 88k population dramatically increase. The extra eyeballs at home also means more corporate dollars are been invested in the game. Adding new teams to the NZ market would just mean 1-2-3 more teams competing for the same dollars that are already on offer.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Neighboring towns and infrastructure around Bath is considering larger or more advanced than what’s on offer in smaller towns in Aus or NZ. Opposing fans been able to travel to the game and towns within an hour drive of the Rec would make that 88k population dramatically increase. The extra eyeballs at home also means more corporate dollars are been invested in the game. Adding new teams to the NZ market would just mean 1-2-3 more teams competing for the same dollars that are already on offer.

The goal in terms of eyeballs and increased dollars in such a structure wouldn't acutally be focused toward NZ though now would it? A TT competition. Would be more about increasing the eyeballs and corporate dollars flowing from Aus. the market that has proven it is willing to pay good money for a product it see's value in.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The goal in terms of eyeballs and increased dollars in such a structure wouldn't acutally be focused toward NZ though now would it? A TT competition. Would be more about increasing the eyeballs and corporate dollars flowing from Aus. the market that has proven it is willing to pay good money for a product it see's value in.
It would be, but they corporate dollars would be based on people wanting to invest in brands/areas where they can get positive returns. Small towns in NZ wouldn’t be ideal for that (the afl would have teams in Ballarat, Hobart and Bendigo if that was the case), the increase would have to come inside Aus. But our brands are so far off the mark atm they would have to become considerably more financially viable before even a whisper of adding another within our market. Target no.1 would be making 5 brands within Aus the equivalent of an NRL brand (despite they have 16 of them), in my eyes that could be realistically achieved within 10-15yr span. Adding an extra Aussie team to that 5 teams would just push that back 4-5yrs per team. You add 2 extra Aus teams you would be looking at 20-25yrs to achieve parity with NRL clubs. Adding the Tauronga Tigers and it would do very little for Aus interest commercially and potentially hurt what NZ already has. You’d just have 6 teams feeding off the same maximized pie as what you currently have instead of 5.

Woldog

Peter Burge (5)
It would be, but they corporate dollars would be based on people wanting to invest in brands/areas where they can get positive returns. Small towns in NZ wouldn’t be ideal for that (the afl would have teams in Ballarat, Hobart and Bendigo if that was the case), the increase would have to come inside Aus. But our brands are so far off the mark atm they would have to become considerably more financially viable before even a whisper of adding another within our market. Target no.1 would be making 5 brands within Aus the equivalent of an NRL brand (despite they have 16 of them), in my eyes that could be realistically achieved within 10-15yr span. Adding an extra Aussie team to that 5 teams would just push that back 4-5yrs per team. You add 2 extra Aus teams you would be looking at 20-25yrs to achieve parity with NRL clubs. Adding the Tauronga Tigers and it would do very little for Aus interest commercially and potentially hurt what NZ already has. You’d just have 6 teams feeding off the same maximized pie as what you currently have instead of 5.

I feel you could do it in a much shorter time with 5 team brands (in Australia that is) and a major free to air channel hosting the games live. But that would be the biggest hurdle, a TV channel ready to replace their primetime cooking show with Rugby Union.

Status
Not open for further replies.