• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I actually think given GRR as competition sitting below super rugby in terms of quality and cost of players the rebels would be better suited to GRR. I am also not insulting GRR as just more stating facts on quality and cost of players which also at this point commercially makes sense for grr at this point.

It is insulting though. WA is where they are due to issues outside their remit. So they've taken action to be met with "well you don't mark up".

Did not, and does not, have to be that way. Should not either.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is insulting though. WA is where they are due to issues outside their remit. So they've taken action to be met with "well you don't mark up".

Did not, and does not, have to be that way. Should not either.
No it isn’t dru it is just a fact as a fledging competition they are not paying out the big bucks so yes player quality will be below super rugby but does not mean can’t be successful. I don’t see how these facts are insulting

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Just spitballing here....

Australia has enacted an emergency response plan in order to prepare for widespread impacts caused by COVID-19. I haven't read the plan but assume it contains provisions to control mass public gatherings, like sports games, concerts and the like.

With attendance at Super Rugby at a very low point, the television rights negotiations at a critical point, and the very real potential for games to either be cancelled or played in empty stadiums, might this be the death knell for Super Rugby as we know it?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just spitballing here..

Australia has enacted an emergency response plan in order to prepare for widespread impacts caused by COVID-19. I haven't read the plan but assume it contains provisions to control mass public gatherings, like sports games, concerts and the like.

With attendance at Super Rugby at a very low point, the television rights negotiations at a critical point, and the very real potential for games to either be cancelled or played in empty stadiums, might this be the death knell for Super Rugby as we know it?

Is all of that covered by insurance?
Might be better off not playing this year

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely you could just play them behind closed doors.

In before the jokes of no one will know the difference...

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
used to watch every NZ team play, every weekend, unless it was in SA wee hours. This year, heading into round 6, in terms of full matches I think I've seen

Blues: 2
Chiffs: 2
Canes: 1
Cantabs: 1
Landers: 0

It's either on at a wrong time or the rando cable boys don't broadcast it at all

It's almost as if soup rugby are willingly trying to lose their own fans. And if its that bad for a semi-tragic like me imagine what its like for a fledgling fan. It's as if the people that run these things are actively conspiring against attracting people to their competition.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
used to watch every NZ team play, every weekend, unless it was in SA wee hours. This year, heading into round 6, in terms of full matches I think I've seen

Blues: 2
Chiffs: 2
Canes: 1
Cantabs: 1
Landers: 0

It's either on at a wrong time or the rando cable boys don't broadcast it at all

It's almost as if soup rugby are willingly trying to lose their own fans. And if its that bad for a semi-tragic like me imagine what its like for a fledgling fan. It's as if the people that run these things are actively conspiring against attracting people to their competition.

Agree DP, and it's been this way inside SANZAAR for some time, just getting worse now. Half the problem is the poor and unreconstructed management culture of the place.

if you study the arrogantly dismissive and illogical reply given by the SANZAAR CEO Marinos re the matters of SA refs local team bias, you'll quickly learn all you need to know about this body's micro-culture. Namely: insular, 'we fly way above the fans', unaccountable, and evasive as to legitimate scrutiny.

The next extraordinary - but I suppose unsurprising - thing is, despite all the trend evidence of badly diminishing crowds and viewership, how little SANZAAR is reforming Super Rugby for the next 5 year media rights cycle commencing in 2021. Yes, five more years, we just get round robins instead of Conferences.

The whole shebang is thus headed for disaster IMO as SANZAAR's strategies are not fan and audience driven, they are driven by historical habit and institutional lethargy. Abetted by the constituent national RUs' inability to be strategically creative and to be driven post 2021 by goals other then 'get more money for media rights'.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Agree DP, and it's been this way inside SANZAAR for some time, just getting worse now. Half the problem is the poor and unreconstructed management culture of the place.

if you study the arrogantly dismissive and illogical reply given by the SANZAAR CEO Marinos re the matters of SA refs local team bias, you'll quickly learn all you need to know about this body's micro-culture. Namely: insular, 'we fly way above the fans', unaccountable, and evasive as to legitimate scrutiny.

The next extraordinary - but I suppose unsurprising - thing is, despite all the trend evidence of badly diminishing crowds and viewership, how little SANZAAR is reforming Super Rugby for the next 5 year media rights cycle commencing in 2021. Yes, five more years, we just get round robins instead of Conferences.

The whole shebang is thus headed for disaster IMO as SANZAAR's strategies are not fan and audience driven, they are driven by historical habit and institutional lethargy. Abetted by the constituent national RUs' inability to be strategically creative and to be driven post 2021 by goals other then 'get more money for media rights'.

Couldn't agree more, with all this talk of broadcast deals, as if a game of Super rugby on fta every week is somehow going to engage this massive dormant fan base.
All we appear to be offering is a few more club games chucked in to add content, yet hardly any serious attempt to address the fundamental issues of why Super rugby is as popular as a pedophile in a kindergarten, mind you its hard to be innovative when the SA & NZ have pretty much signed up for 5 yrs & said fk you & good luck to the RA. If life teaches you one thing its self interest rules, and i simply could not phrase it better than below

(The whole shebang is thus headed for disaster IMO as SANZAAR's strategies are not fan and audience driven, they are driven by historical habit and institutional lethargy. Abetted by the constituent national RUs' inability to be strategically creative and to be driven post 2021 by goals other then 'get more money for media rights'.)

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Don't know if this has already been posted, but I found this video interesting. Some real effort to clip it all together with some reasonable thoughts. Don't agree with it all but it was a decent think piece on the state of the comp.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
How on earth would things go should CV19 move toward empty Super Rugby stadia in Australia? Has to be plenty of Rugby execs feeling anxiety right now.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How on earth would things go should CV19 move toward empty Super Rugby stadia in Australia? Has to be plenty of Rugby execs feeling anxiety right now.

If its mandated by the government, there will have to be some form of compensation/insurance

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
surely the government (and taxpayers) dont have to underwrite the event if a national health emergency has caused the cancellation.

Just look at the $17billion stimulus announced yesterday, the governments intent is to keep employees getting paid and consumers spending money, keep the economy as close to as business as usual as they can.

I would be very surprised if insurance or some form of govt compensation isn’t provided if sporting comps are forced to cancel at the direction of the government. Sporting comps are after all big business and generate flow on effects for the economy.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I reckon the Super Rugby season is about to be cancelled.

I think it’s inevitable the international component will be, I wonder if they’ll still look to play games domestically... might be a bit boring with only 4 teams, but might give it an extra few weeks of air time for the broadcasters

Status
Not open for further replies.