• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I watched Kiwi rugby show the other day,(I know,I know shut up with any kiwi stuff) and Warren Gatland was on it , the only reason I mention it he was talking about coaching etc and made some very pertinent comments that relate to the ideas we see thrown about having NZ players playing in Aus rugby teams, when he tool over Wales in the 4 Welsh teams that played because of overseas players there was only something like 6-8 loose forwards he had to pick from. I just think it one thing that has to be taken into account if wishing for players to be able to play here to even up teams, you could realistically have only one Australian qualified 9 etc playing. Just another thought as we ponder all the ideas.

Oh, it's definitely a problem. The solution is to have enough teams to open opportunities. Opposite to what has been happening under Super.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I watched Kiwi rugby show the other day,(I know,I know shut up with any kiwi stuff) and Warren Gatland was on it , the only reason I mention it he was talking about coaching etc and made some very pertinent comments that relate to the ideas we see thrown about having NZ players playing in Aus rugby teams, when he tool over Wales in the 4 Welsh teams that played because of overseas players there was only something like 6-8 loose forwards he had to pick from. I just think it one thing that has to be taken into account if wishing for players to be able to play here to even up teams, you could realistically have only one Australian qualified 9 etc playing. Just another thought as we ponder all the ideas.

Assuming Super Rugby continues, that might be another good reason for Australia to funnel their best players into 3 teams and leave open 2 teams only for Kiwi players. Although, I've been told that would create its own problems.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Assuming Super Rugby continues, that might be another good reason for Australia to funnel their best players into 3 teams and leave open 2 teams only for Kiwi players. Although, I've been told that would create its own problems.

Possibly a stupid question but what if insufficient Kiwi players to fill two rosters are willing and/ or able to relocate to Straya?

IMG_0954.JPG

"Come along now, Akira, Queensland's a really, really nice place once you get used to the cane toads, snakes & big-arse spiders".

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Although the collapse of the professional game in Australia isn't particularly good news for the professional game in NZ either. I'm sure that there are people who know more about the NZ economy than I do, but it doesn't seem to me that it could support the type of player salaries that would encourage players to stay.

A Super 9 with 5 Kiwi teams and 4 SA teams would be an interesting concept to sell.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Although the collapse of the professional game in Australia isn't particularly good news for the professional game in NZ either. I'm sure that there are people who know more about the NZ economy than I do, but it doesn't seem to me that it could support the type of player salaries that would encourage players to stay.

A Super 9 with 5 Kiwi teams and 4 SA teams would be an interesting concept to sell.

This is a fundamental situation that the pro SANZAAR, pro Kiwi pundits refuse to recognise.

Add to it that while NZ rugby actually performs financially very well, there is no available expansion, but plenty of room for contraction.

I have increasingly reached a position that those pro Kiwi powers will not get to reality before we pull out. Get on with it I say.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

If the bubble of European salaries gets popped then NZ -- as well as Australia and South Africa -- won't need to compete with the obnoxious amounts of cash that currently float around in Europe. The SH unions may even be able to also force through revenue sharing agreements, which would also help.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Does anybody know when crowd numbers started to decline for Super Rugby games in Australia? Like, were they pretty stable up to the end of Super 12 in 2005?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If the bubble of European salaries gets popped then NZ -- as well as Australia and South Africa -- won't need to compete with the obnoxious amounts of cash that currently float around in Europe. The SH unions may even be able to also force through revenue sharing agreements, which would also help.

Though I suspect there is one other comp that will be sniffing around, NRL will be quite happy to cherry pick Union players!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There's speculation that the border between Aus and NZ might be relaxed in the near to medium term, while international borders otherwise might be closed until a vaccine is developed, or at least a reliable means of treating the illness. That could be another 12 - 18 months away at best.

NZ's predicament, if that occurs, will be to decide if it's better to enter a competition with us maybe from the latter half of this year, or to wait an indeterminate time to engage with SA in what would conceivably be a 9 team competition against more severely weakened opposition due to SARU's selection policy for the Springboks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would like to see a comp that drops the Aus teams into a trans tasman comp, with relegation and promotion long term, full home and away as well

We should be able to keep one or maybe two in first division - and teams like the Force can work their way up with our other shit teams like the Tahs

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's speculation that the border between Aus and NZ might be relaxed in the near to medium term, while international borders otherwise might be closed until a vaccine is developed, or at least a reliable means of treating the illness. That could be another 12 - 18 months away at best.

NZ's predicament, if that occurs, will be to decide if it's better to enter a competition with us maybe from the latter half of this year, or to wait an indeterminate time to engage with SA in what would conceivably be a 9 team competition against more severely weakened opposition due to SARU's selection policy for the Springboks.

Where is this speculation, BR? I would imagine that Aus/NZ borders that may be relaxed ahead of others, however I don't see a relaxation of 2 weeks quarantine (international entries) prior to general relaxation. By either Nation.

In the mean time, if ever there was a situation that could be used to re-consider how we do things, this is it.

We hit bottom a while back, it is unfathomable to me that we would keep digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.