• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I can guarantee that Aus/NZ/SA/Arg and almost every major rugby nation is discussing possibilities of what can be played and what can't be, I also bet anything they are discussing what will happen next year etc, because no matter what any of us think, I seriously doubt many comps will be the same in WR (World Rugby) ,when we get back to playing. I wonder how NH clubs will come through it, and how it will mean to what players we got available down this end. The only thing I pretty sure of is no Rugby union in any country will survive without working in with other countries.
And I agree with dru, I doubt whether NZ or Aus borders will be relaxed enough to see much happening this year! I suspect there maybe some kind of super teams playing in own countries, but basically I do think NRC and Mitre 10 cups are what we will see, and hopefully if things improve in SA perhaps a Currie Cup!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
An NRC featuring contracted players, and club comps running in the background and as curtain raisers where convenient would be a very good outcome in the second half of the year, and a big opportunity to test the market.

I feel like we need to find a way to improve curtain raisers by bringing their finishing time closer to the main game. The way they are currently played with an hour or so break to enable the main game to warm up on the field makes the break far too long. For the overwhelming majority of fans it isn't reasonable to attend both.

I think the concept is great but we need to normalise having teams warm up on an adjacent field (at many stadiums this is possible) so we can squeeze the gap between games down to 20 or 30 minutes max.

It's much more reasonable for people to turn up an hour before the main game starts to watch the second half of the curtain raiser or two hours early to see the whole thing.

Anyway, this is only very loosely related to your post which I think is a great idea.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Only if the NRC are at the club grounds because the clubs want/need the money from hosting. Which then impacts on broadcast capabilities.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Only if the NRC are at the club grounds because the clubs want/need the money from hosting. Which then impacts on broadcast capabilities.

The SFS had the oval outside, AAMI Park has a training field directly outside, BankWest Stadium has Old Kings Oval behind it and I dare say a fair number of our stadiums have something that would suffice.

It's far from a perfect solution but I tend to think it would be worthwhile for making double headers more viable. As they are currently played there's only a handful of people there for the first game and if you go to both it's a 5 hour time commitment with an hour or more of dead time in the middle.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Yes that's true, but when the Country Eagles played here (Mudgee) it was played at the stadium, which isn't the local club's (the Wombats) ground, however the Wombats were given the opportunity to run the bar and the tuckshop and did very well out of it. So it seems the NRC teams are happy to outsource those ancillary operations to benefit the 'host' teams. But yes ideally they would spread the games around the local grounds if they are to use them as curtain raisers. If something gets off the ground later this year they may still be played in front of negligible crowds so it could be academic anyway.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The curtain raiser idea might be good for future seasons but not much point for this one. Pretty likely that any games played this year will be in empty grounds, broadcasters probably won't televise the early game in any case.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

it would only be relevant for Sydney city and Brisbane city home matches.

In the past NRC starts after the SS final, so there was never he opportunity. If the Wallaby and regular Super starters are all to play NRC (unlikely they would be available for Club in any case) so the 2 could run concurrently.

And yes great opportunity for a double header. Rats Vs Marlins at Brookvale then Sydney city vs Force

Where can I buy my ticket now?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yes that's true, but when the Country Eagles played here (Mudgee) it was played at the stadium, which isn't the local club's (the Wombats) ground, however the Wombats were given the opportunity to run the bar and the tuckshop and did very well out of it. So it seems the NRC teams are happy to outsource those ancillary operations to benefit the 'host' teams. But yes ideally they would spread the games around the local grounds if they are to use them as curtain raisers. If something gets off the ground later this year they may still be played in front of negligible crowds so it could be academic anyway.

They did play a double header of sorts with a Central Best side playing a Sydney Uni Side, quiet entertaining but not too many stayed to watch

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I know it not Super rugby, but apparently Sam Whitelock is in charge of a group of 15 or so players who are working on comp for the rest of season in NZ, whether it super teams or all join M10 cup teams it sounds good. Fancy the players being keen enough to get involved in getting comps up and running, who'd a thought!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hopefully this sounds the death knell for Super Rugby (my bold)

Vice-chairman Augustin Pichot says World Rugby won't bail out SANZAAR nations that hit the financial skids, making it critical they extract themselves quickly from the coronavirus pandemic.

Pichot said the sport's enforced break should prompt SANZAAR to assess the ongoing profitability and viability of its competitions, even in the short term.

The former Argentina international believes now is a good time to assess the value of introducing Japan and Fiji to a new-look Rugby Championship.
He suggested Super Rugby's entire blueprint could be addressed, even wondering if the Buenos Aires-based Jaguares can afford to remain if international travel becomes prohibitive.
"Maybe you find out that that competition cannot be played because it is not profitable or is too much of a burden," Pichot said.
"Even in Argentina, can we really afford to carry on Super Rugby with the Jaguares having to pay for the trips all round the world?
"Maybe we have to fold Jaguares and look for other alternatives."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...irus-bailout-says-pichot-20200415-p54k39.html

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
An NRC featuring contracted players, and club comps running in the background and as curtain raisers where convenient would be a very good outcome in the second half of the year, and a big opportunity to test the market.

I'd rather see them separate so rep players play club footy.

NRC after the club season so ALL players can be selected on form.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

had a look at that - it basically just means the two highest ranked Oz Super Rugby teams (Brumbies and Rebels) reamain as is, while our two lowest ranked teams (Reds and Waratahs) split into two teams. That won't work

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
It might have unbalanced games for the first season or two but after that I think it would be fine. As some of the NSW and QLD players might go back to their home states.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
had a look at that - it basically just means the two highest ranked Oz Super Rugby teams (Brumbies and Rebels) reamain as is, while our two lowest ranked teams (Reds and Waratahs) split into two teams. That won't work

Yeah, my guess is they'll just use the Super Rugby teams with the Force. That will be what they want to test with less risk. They would be the teams they'll use to base any form of domestic comp around anyway - is my guess.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Is that based on last year's teams they were allocated to? A redraft would be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.