• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I haven't seen much chat on this thread about Japan being involved in an Australian Comp, the popularity is high at the moment and they have money, why include a couple of the top J League teams as well

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I haven't seen much chat on this thread about Japan being involved in an Australian Comp, the popularity is high at the moment and they have money, why include a couple of the top J League teams as well
0 interest from Japan. Their club teams are corporate playthings.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Need to have the one team support playing for a full season. Asking people to support multiple teams for a series of competitions won't attract interest.

Personally I think we need an 8 team domestic competition running for 16 rounds (everyone gets 2 byes). During this season there are a further 6 byes to play Champions Cup and the Also Ran's Cup (we get 4 teams in each). That is a total of 21 rounds plus finals for each comp.

It seems to work OK in Europe.

My Southern Hemisphere Comps

Australia
ACT Brumbies, Melbourne Rebels, NSW Waratahs, QLD Reds, Western Force & Western Sydney Rams with Fiji Drua & Japan Sunwolves

South Africa
Free State Cheaters, Gauteng Lions, Kimberly Griquas, KwaZulu-Natal Sharks, Northern Gauteng Bulls, Southern Kings & Western Province Stormers with the Namabian Welwitschias

New Zealand
Auckland Blues, BOP, Christchurch Crusaders, Dunedin Highlanders, Hamilton Chiefs & Wellington Hurricanes with Manuma Samoa & Tonga Sea-Eagles

SLAR
Cafeteros (Colombia), Corinthians (Brazil), Ceibos (Argentina), Jaguares (Argentina), Olimpia Lions (Paraguay), Penarol (Uraguay), Rosario (Argentina) & Selknam (Chile)

Again with the sixth NZ team thing.

Do you know the population of Bay of Plenty? I'll give you a hint: it's higher than the Illawarra census region but less than the Highlanders' catchment.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I really think this is all being overthunk.

Keep it simple. Super simple.

5 x NZ teams + 4 x Aus teams

16 rounds over 18 weeks, two weeks of finals.

Done!

Could look towards gradual expansion if this model works well enough. Could tack on an Asian/Pacific Champions tournament at the end for extra content.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Guys, SANZAAR have put out a statement saying that all this chatter about a Trans Tasman comp is wrong.

Please cease and desist...

</s>

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Guys, SANZAAR have put out a statement saying that all this chatter about a Trans Tasman comp is wrong.

Please cease and desist.

</s>
And they are copping a proper spray on the Twitterverse. “Well you haven’t uttered a word since March 15 so give us some fucking insight you twits” is the general theme.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And they are copping a proper spray on the Twitterverse. “Well you haven’t uttered a word since March 15 so give us some fucking insight you twits” is the general theme.

Well unless they have a change should they put out a statement?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I really think this is all being overthunk.

Keep it simple. Super simple.

5 x NZ teams + 4 x Aus teams

16 rounds over 18 weeks, two weeks of finals.

Done!

Could look towards gradual expansion if this model works well enough. Could tack on an Asian/Pacific Champions tournament at the end for extra content.

The Force have got to be back in.

We need Twiggy.

so its 5 and 5 or else its good bye Rebs

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Super Rugby and NRC should be replaced by one domestic professional league, based in Australian and run by Australia. Some sort of champions league at the end is fine, but will likely clash with Wallaby games and/or Nations Cup.

The problem is what to do with our provincial teams??

Unless we just have a 5 team comp (+or- a Barbarian team which could play home games in the other states = 6 teams)

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I seems a lot of people are assuming that after all the time, and money, and effort that Twiggy has spent on GRR he's going to just pull up stumps and shut it down.

Because we need his money.

If he were to bring the Force back (and I would love to see the Force back #strongeras5) I imagine it would be on his terms. Who knows what those terms might be?

In any case, according to SANZAAR, there's nothing to see here. We have ten more years of Super Rugby to look forward to watching.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I wouldn't use NSW, Qld or ACT in team names - Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra would work better.

I wouldn't have Japan involved at this point. Travel is huge and adds to the expense.

NZ have the strongest rugby infrastructure and player base, so I can't really see the logic in the putting Tonga and Samoa there. If they are involved they should be in an Australian competition.

Are you suggesting getting rid of some of the limited brand awareness that Rugby has? Or renaming to the 'Sydney Waratahs'?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Thought bubble - Eastern Waratahs, Southern Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Western Force - with the potential for a Western Sydney team.

Status
Not open for further replies.