• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Who cares, more importantly where does it leave SANZAAR.

Hopefully no where. I've been pretty encouraged by all the noise coming out that Super Rugby will be dead.

-Sunwolves gone.
-Jaguares gone for 2021.
-SA teams linked to Pro 18.
-Aus/NZ players acknowledging TT is the way.

Only SA and SANZAAR keep insisting SANZAAR will continue now.

Take our the current Super Rugby format and SANZAAR/SANZAR is completely redundant. Even with Super Rugby its a fairly useless and unnecessary layer of bureaucracy.

I'm hoping that TRC in its current form goes the way of Super Rugby into the dustbin and replaced by 3 test tours between SA, NZ and Aus on a rotational basis. Much better for generating income and interest having a 3-4 week tour with 3 tests and mid-week games than the fly in fly out TRC model.

EDIT: And disbanding SANZAR doesn't mean stopping close relations with SA and NZ. Tours just fall under the WR (World Rugby) umbrella/calendar

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not sure how player welfare is enhanced with 3/4 week tours, but this could help with interest. A big problem in my opinion is playing to many tests against the same opposition on a yearly basis, the RC format becomes stale very quickly (not helped by kiwi dominance)

We play the All Blacks 3 times a year, this to me reduces the uniqueness of the occasion.

I think tours could help in bringing back fan engagement, we shouldn't be playing Test nations every year on some sort of rotating basis, they just become glorified clubs then, for starters the Wallabies some years play more games than the Super rugby teams, that's just ridiculous.

Look at the Lions, its special because in part the rarity of it and the old Bledisloe games, I think tours could help in keeping a fresh feel about the calendar each year.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Playing the best team in the world 3 times isn't the problem. If anything, it's what draws in the publics eyes that don't follow Rugby.

What is the problem is, playing the best team in the world back-to-back weekends, losing both of them and as a result, being knocked out of both the TRC and Bledisloe for another year. Why would anyone care about us then playing South Africa in South Africa or a dead rubber against the AB's?

It's only lost it's specialty in your eyes because we've sucked for so long. That Perth win last year was up there with any of the past wins of the last two decades. The last lions tour in Australia was pretty woeful, from Beale slipping on that kick, to going to HJ's at 3am and in the last game we got absolutely smoked.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is almost 0 chance of overseas clubs allowing their players play in midweek tour fixtures. Those days are well and truly done.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Playing the best team in the world 3 times isn't the problem. If anything, it's what draws in the publics eyes that don't follow Rugby.

What is the problem is, playing the best team in the world back-to-back weekends, losing both of them and as a result, being knocked out of both the TRC and Bledisloe for another year. Why would anyone care about us then playing South Africa in South Africa or a dead rubber against the AB's?

It's only lost it's specialty in your eyes because we've sucked for so long. That Perth win last year was up there with any of the past wins of the last two decades. The last lions tour in Australia was pretty woeful, from Beale slipping on that kick, to going to HJ's at 3am and in the last game we got absolutely smoked.

I know what your saying, but it clearly has lost interest in many peoples eye's, no doubt being un-competitive is a huge issue, but I would argue there has never been the level of interest to sustain playing say Argentina twice a year., the minute you monetize something you create a whole new dynamic, Test rugby is supposed to be an occasion.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
A big problem in my opinion is playing to many tests against the same opposition on a yearly basis, the RC format becomes stale very quickly (not helped by kiwi dominance)

We play the All Blacks 3 times a year, this to me reduces the uniqueness of the occasion.

NSW plays QLD in SOO 3 times a year and we arn't getting bored with that

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
NSW plays QLD in SOO 3 times a year and we arn't getting bored with that
We are getting bored of losing - which is fair enough. Queensland dominated SOO but there was light at the end of the tunnel. Not so in rugby. If anything New Zealand should become even more dominant.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
We are getting bored of losing - which is fair enough. Queensland dominated SOO but there was light at the end of the tunnel. Not so in rugby. If anything New Zealand should become even more dominant.

I rarely watch it. But apparently it rates well and fills the big stadiums even with those 1 sided results.

Which is what we are really trying to achieve for Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure how player welfare is enhanced with 3/4 week tours, but this could help with interest. A big problem in my opinion is playing to many tests against the same opposition on a yearly basis, the RC format becomes stale very quickly (not helped by kiwi dominance)

I think tours could help in bringing back fan engagement, we shouldn't be playing Test nations every year on some sort of rotating basis, they just become glorified clubs then, for starters the Wallabies some years play more games than the Super rugby teams, that's just ridiculous.

Look at the Lions, its special because in part the rarity of it and the old Bledisloe games, I think tours could help in keeping a fresh feel about the calendar each year.

I'd prefer to see the RC expanded to 6 teams and have a 2nd 6 teams division below it with promotion/relegation. It could be targeted in terms of participation in order to find a mix of competition and commercial potential.

Run as a single round for 5 games including a single standalone Bledisloe. Then we could have tours in the June/July window. Three game series with a 4th game scheduled in for the touring team to play one of the Islands. Ideally two.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd prefer to see the RC expanded to 6 teams and have a 2nd 6 teams division below it with promotion/relegation. It could be targeted in terms of participation in order to find a mix of competition and commercial potential.

Run as a single round for 5 games including a single standalone Bledisloe. Then we could have tours in the June/July window. Three game series with a 4th game scheduled in for the touring team to play one of the Islands. Ideally two.

So... the Nations Championship?

But I agree. It would be our 6N - just add Fiji and Japan. Add in another Bledisloe and that's 6 Tests guaranteed a year. You could then play another 3 either against NH teams at home or away in alternate years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I love this, but i just don't see how Fiji can afford it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So. the Nations Championship?

But I agree. It would be our 6N - just add Fiji and Japan. Add in another Bledisloe and that's 6 Tests guaranteed a year. You could then play another 3 either against NH teams at home or away in alternate years.

Essentially. I believe that when the concept fell through last time or if it does this time we should look to take the initiative and run with it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just an aside: can there be a madder, more ill-considered idea (seemingly arising from 'the new global calendar' think tanks within WR (World Rugby)) than that we would have Bled and TRC Tests in late January/February!

When the Super 10s proved conclusively that, the very least, the heat in Brisbane (c.35-40% of national $s Test income potential) is too great (30 deg+C at 8pm typically) for elite rugby at that time of year and, further, the overlap with the end of cricket and summer sports season which, I would contest, just does not create the vibe for punters to want to attend Test rugby (or attend in the nos to optimise Test $ income, which is absolutely crucial in any scenario).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just an aside: can there be a madder, more ill-considered idea (seemingly arising from 'the new global calendar' think tanks within WR (World Rugby)) than that we would have Bled and TRC Tests in late January/February!

When the Super 10s proved conclusively that, the very least, the heat in Brisbane (c.35-40% of national $s Test income potential) is too great (30 deg+C at 8pm typically) for elite rugby at that time of year and, further, the overlap with the end of cricket and summer sports season which, I would contest, just does not create the vibe for punters to want to attend Test rugby (or attend in the nos to optimise Test $ income, which is absolutely crucial in any scenario).
Play it in quarters and serve plenty of beer and id go

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Come on mate, that's not correct. Currently 6N is played Feb/Mar and they have been talking about pushing it back a month maybe two. Brisbane weather (mean max) Feb 29, Mar 28 and Apr 26.1 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.