• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Being able to chromecast should cost 0 dollars - like every other streaming service on earth.

Not sure what you mean here - chromecast being free is fine, of itself. But if we expect the professional game to survive let alone thrive we need to be prepared to pay for content. I'm completely happy with the concept of a US style Game Pass and prepared to pay for it.

I have a small set of presumptions here:
1. fans and viewers are pretty much at rock bottom so our value is probably close to rock bottom. Certainly outside of internationals.
2. should the EOIs in broadcast rights be desultory, there is little reason to stop trying something new.
3. Take opportunity - time to look at modern alternatives. Streaming, pod casts, video reviews etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, the issue was that you could have access to Foxtel on, say, your phone - but to chromecast it to your TV they wanted another $25. Which is a standard feature of every other streaming service.

Happy to pay for Rugby. Actually - i would pay 25 a month for a rugby only service if it was going direct to RA.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Having to pay extra to be able to case is a joke. Can't you just cast your whole screen from your phone? That's what I used to do before ABC/10 apps had the casting capability. I pay for Kayo and am yet to watch any other sport on there other than rugby so would much rather all my money go to RA rather than Foxtel.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, the issue was that you could have access to Foxtel on, say, your phone - but to chromecast it to your TV they wanted another $25. Which is a standard feature of every other streaming service.

Happy to pay for Rugby. Actually - i would pay 25 a month for a rugby only service if it was going direct to RA.

gotcha. And agree.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Having to pay extra to be able to case is a joke. Can't you just cast your whole screen from your phone? That's what I used to do before ABC/10 apps had the casting capability. I pay for Kayo and am yet to watch any other sport on there other than rugby so would much rather all my money go to RA rather than Foxtel.

The foxtel app does not allow your phone to screen cast, not sure about a way around. So if you have a chromecast they require you to sign up to multi room subscription. And they wonder why no one likes there service

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well i didn't say never but we will certainly be on the teat for at least another year or two. I appreciate your enthusiasm but suspect things can still get worse.

It will be interesting to see what happens to fox. I toyed with getting it so i could stream and fling it to my chromecast but they make you charge a full $25 dollars a month to be able to chromecast. Absolute madness. Proper dinosaur.

But why would you have to chromecast? Connect the PC to the TV via HDMI cable, bob's your uncle.

Even better, stream it on a smart TV.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
But why would you have to chromecast? Connect the PC to the TV via HDMI cable, bob's your uncle.

Even better, stream it on a smart TV.
I was doing that but with WFH i moved into a bigger place with an office so my TV and PC are not in the same room.

Also can't put Fox onto my work Laptop.

My point is that it's a simple convenience that every other service provides for free, and fox wanna charge $25 for it - which is basically the cost of three other streaming services combined.

fluffybunnys.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wonder how much of the difficulty they seem to be making it is to try and help rip offs? I know in NZ got a brother in law who often goes crook how much he pays for Sky, and then in next breath says his son has asky unit in his house that is meant to be for another room in his place , and other son watches all his sport through a computer on his account! I wonder why it so expensive!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just by the way, Mark Robinson was saying on TV NZR have got 8 EOIs in whatever comp they are looking at. Didn't say which one or whatever , NZ Stuff article said it aside from NZ super teams, though Robinson in no way said that, and you all know how muach I believe newspaper reports! So I guessing (and only guessing ) Robinson meant NZ 5 plus 3.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Why would New Zealand Super Rugby teams have to submit a EOI to be in the competition... mind boggling

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why would New Zealand Super Rugby teams have to submit a EOI to be in the competition. mind boggling

Not sure they did, but I just saying maybe they had to if there was 8 EOIs. You could very well be right, I just guessing if there were 8, and none were Aussie.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Asking existing teams to submit an EOI when they’re already struggling for numbers would just be unnecessary bureaucracy for everyone involved.

Aussie teams, except maybe the Force are not going to submit individuals EOI’s for a kiwi competition, they have a governing body which handles the negotiations on their behalf. NZRU should be engaging the RA and not individual Australian teams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Asking existing teams to submit an EOI when they’re already struggling for numbers would just be unnecessary bureaucracy for everyone involved.

Aussie teams, except maybe the Force are not going to submit individuals EOI’s for a kiwi competition, they have a governing body which handles the negotiations on their behalf. NZRU should be engaging the RA and not individual Australian teams.

Yep but when they set it up it wasn't seen as a kiwi comp by NZR, (I heard Robinson's first interview on it) and they were just wanting to get something set up and then find or help form a body to run it, and I thought maybe everyone had to put in an EOI. Admit I guessed about everyone having to do it, but recall him saying NZ teams had to be able to be financial etc same as everyone else.

But I could of got it wrong, wouldn't be first time.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I am hopeful you are correct Adam. But it is tough times and I would not be astonished if there are bolters breaking ranks.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I am hopeful you are correct Adam. But it is tough times and I would not be astonished if there are bolters breaking ranks.
Clubs couldn’t break ranks if they wanted to, the players contracts are sanctioned under RA and RUPA, only team who this doesn’t apply to is the Force

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Every decision Foxtel has made in the past five years seems designed to make streaming as bad as possible so people stick with the old pay TV.

Foxtel is a bit of a mess. They pivoted too late to the threat of online streaming with a confusing set of products and services that they kept rebranding - Foxtel Go, Foxtel Play, Foxtel Now, Presto, Kayo, Binge... and all the various packages. This coupled with the selloff of the cable infrastructure by Telstra and the move to plonking sat dishes on peoples houses whilst still trying to charge premium $ vs. the $10-15 people were starting to become accustomed to made most question the whole value proposition for a service which also seemed to include ads as well.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
We need a couple more years at least of a Super Rugby AU before we go TT. My fear is a TT will only be an initial hit before it has the same deflating effect as old Super Rugby. We need more Aussie wins every week and another all-Aussie final. Super Rugby AU has been the best season of Super Rugby for years! And SRAo was great to watch on it's own as well. Lets not blow it away too quickly. It's breathing new life into rugby here. Already, it has turned existing fans from negative to positive. Next year it will begin to attract new fans. It is just starting to gain momentum. The international component should only come at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.