• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Economic factors do play a part, but there are many other factors in play, NZ is a small isolated island pretty much at the bottom of the world, Aus will always be an attractive option for Kiwis, same language, just a couple of hours flight home, it is very much viewed over there as the big city option, its not like moving to Russia or similar.

My situation is I met an Aussie girl, and here I am, but pretty much most of my old mates back in NZ are doing okay.

You have to look at those figures in context.

But that's exactly what we were saying, thats all part of the lifestyle that Australia offers over NZ

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But that's exactly what we were saying, thats all part of the lifestyle that Australia offers over NZ

But it not that different, I am no better off here in Australia than rest of my family in NZ. They do at least as much as me, travel overseas etc as much or more than me. I actually judge lifestyle on more than monetary things anyway, but as I say that's just me. I got a son living in Italy, and he got shit loads less than me, but you will NEVER convince me our lifestyle is better. see quality of life is what counts for me. I also got mates from Aus here who live in Thailand, got more money over there compared to here, I still not convinced they have a better lifestyle than those of us here.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's 100% true though that plenty of New Zealanders do move here for better employment opportunities though.

I agree that the lifestyles are pretty similar though. Our cultures certainly aren't worlds apart.

No and the only reason this came up was suggestions that NZ players would come over here for the lifestyle, I not saying some might come if RA suddenly got a lot of money, but lifestyle change is not one of them. Though I tend to think it one of the reasons both countries lose players to France, Italy , Japan etc, where it quite a lifestyle change as well as big money.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
They are undertaking their duty as upstanding global citizens and raising the IQ of both countries, of course.

And that is so true,(and hi Piggy Muldoon:p) the year I moved here a few people in Qld were upset that Peter Beattie changed Qld number plates form the Sunshine State to the Smart State;)!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As someone who
No and the only reason this came up was suggestions that NZ players would come over here for the lifestyle, I not saying some might come if RA suddenly got a lot of money, but lifestyle change is not one of them. Though I tend to think it one of the reasons both countries lose players to France, Italy , Japan etc, where it quite a lifestyle change as well as big money.
actually I think nz players moving here - moreso post career as nzru keep the hold of not allowing all black eligibility if live and play for oz team is more commercial / career opportunities post footy career, especially if corporate aspirations

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Economic factors do play a part, but there are many other factors in play, NZ is a small isolated island pretty much at the bottom of the world, Aus will always be an attractive option for Kiwis, same language, just a couple of hours flight home, it is very much viewed over there as the big city option, its not like moving to Russia or similar.

My situation is I met an Aussie girl, and here I am, but pretty much most of my old mates back in NZ are doing okay.

You have to look at those figures in context.

So given that who do you support preference wise ie ABs or Wallabies - more so when they play each other - btw can see either team valid reasons for supporting so this is just curious post!

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Opening up AB selection criteria to Kiwis playing in the comp whether the team is Kiwi or Aus - no it won’t likely result in immediate defection of ABs from Kiwi team to Aus teams.

New talent coming through, especially where missing opportunity in NZ, currently have a disincentive to trying Aus. Because it immediately closes the door on possible AB representation. No new Kiwi talent is going to be keen on that. Remove the disincentive and you will see new talent trying their luck in Aus bolstering Aus franchise depth. In time you may even see these guys make the ABs.

A TT comp where things are managed solely for National interest - not in the interests of the comp itself - are always going to lead to odd skews.

I can understand NZ wanting those criteria to continue, which is fine. It is just that a dampened enthusiasm from Australia to join such a comp is also logically likely to continue.

I don’t see a way past the impasse. About the best is domestic comps followed by TT club comp.

Would be good, but from a NZR perspective, that player won't be developed in their systems, of which their Super Rugby teams play a big part.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would be good, but from a NZR perspective, that player won't be developed in their systems, of which their Super Rugby teams play a big part.
Because nzru and (nz persons could say in past dealings Insert RA for NZRU) run by nearsighted areoles. For all of the critique of RA as the number 1 rugby country in the world, NZRU have abjectly failed in their power base to develop and grow the game in Asia Pacific.

RA is small fish in big competitive oz footy market while NZRU operates in position of considerable influence but abjectly failed to use this for successfully growing the game in the Asia Pacific. Bring on private equity please as for all the power and influence NZRU have in the region they are a complete abject failure. Please bring on private equity investment and control then these incompetent arseholes.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Why not allow NZR to set up one (or two) new team(s) in Australia (say, in Western Sydney, Newcastle, or Adelaide)?

Hey, it's not like we're making use of those locations. The new team(s) would be NZ run and managed, with NZ players, but play under an Australian brandname in order to target new fans in those areas.

Advantages:
  • It evens out the depth between Oz and NZ teams for a much better TT comp, with 12 teams to start: 5 Oz and 6/7 NZ. Although, it could be seen as 6/7 Oz and 5 NZ depending on how you look at it.
  • It doesn't mess up the existing NZ system. They still have control of developing their players.
  • It actually benefits NZR by giving more opportunities to more of their players.
  • It grows rugby in Australia by tapping into new markets.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because nzru and (nz persons could say in past dealings Insert RA for NZRU) run by nearsighted areoles. For all of the critique of RA as the number 1 rugby country in the world, NZRU have abjectly failed in their power base to develop and grow the game in Asia Pacific.

RA is small fish in big competitive oz footy market while NZRU operates in position of considerable influence but abjectly failed to use this for successfully growing the game in the Asia Pacific. Bring on private equity please as for all the power and influence NZRU have in the region they are a complete abject failure. Please bring on private equity investment and control then these incompetent arseholes.

It's New Zealand Rugby. Not New-Zealand-plus-Australia-and-the-entire-Asia-Pacific-Rugby. It's World Rugby's job to develop rugby across the world so take you're issues up with them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's New Zealand Rugby. Not New-Zealand-plus-Australia-and-the-entire-Asia-Pacific-Rugby. It's World Rugby's job to develop rugby across the world so take you're issues up with them.

Nah I call BS as it is about developing a successful competition given nz too small despite its own ego to realise it can’t do it in its own. You compelely missed the point that is about developing a successful commercial competition hence private equity comments. And point being private equity would make decisions more on commercial grounds and more savvy to do the latter then some bureaucratic rugby organisation filled with too many ex players and people grounded in the Amateur era. NzRu has shown by past behaviour they are completely clueless how to engage key stakeholders to build a successful competition. Stop defending a bunch of muppets. Christ we certainly bagged RA when they showed incompetence and again recent behaviour by NZRU shown they are competely just as clueless despite the obvious advantages they have to leverage (ie most popular footy code by far in nz)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Why the hell should we do it, the 6th largest country on earth is right next fucken

t
Why the hell should we do it, the 6th largest country on earth is right next fucken door.

You so don’t understand my comments - just read using influence in positive and commercial way as If private equity involved they would not make the same retarded decisions as NZRU as for me as corporate guy I think nzru have abjectly failed to leverage their power and influence to get a better commercial footprint they could benefit from. My view is rugby is not commercially minded and skilled as northern hemisphere counterparts.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
@ half

China, Trump and Johnson are contributing to your rugby enjoyment malaise? Fark me, man. Just let the rugby be an out on the world shite.

I am befuddled by those issues too, but damned if I’ll let it interrupt the rugby.

One thing on the domestic comp issue. COVID has forced a situation where it is as good a time as any to move forward. I do think though we will devolve back to a TT. Not at all what I think is ideal but I think it will happen. Still a chance that it will be domestic thence TT. Personally I would split Reds, Waratahs and Brumbies into two teams each under the same admin and coaching groups. Then recombine them + a Force/Rebels team for the TT.

Well a bloke can dream fluff if he wants, eh?

Mate for me its always been about expansion and new voices at the table.

Central Coast, Newcastle, second Brisbane team, Western Sydney team, plus maybe a sorta Northern Beaches / Northern District team, kinda Eastwood, North Sydney, Gordon, Manly & The Rats forming a team as well.

Thats 10 teams.

The key is involving all the stakeholders who will drive the ratings, in a shrinking and more competitive market.

I would be prepared to play out of smaller and way more affordable stadiums.

Broadcast via youtube, if you want a model for this the NSW Football Federation do an amazing job, also Bar TV .

Get a match of the day on a major broadcaster.

Most won't agree I am use to that. But thats how to do it long term to both grow and expand, chasing short term cash injections to maintain existing structures and to do so means bending over and taking it. Resulting in the pigs at the trough get to stay longer but the game suffers and declines in the street.

Its the street not the bank that decides over the long term and many many many in rugby over decades don't understand its the street you need to get right to get more from the bank. Its not the bank gives and the street needs to accept and comply, many in the street walk away.

On the world events kinda agree but the incoherent squabbling on ideas only a few months back they opposed does not infuse me, when world events as they are today .

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So given that who do you support preference wise ie ABs or Wallabies - more so when they play each other - btw can see either team valid reasons for supporting so this is just curious post!

Think most Kiwis would continue supporting ABs, (not all but most), same as I know the Aussie boys in my family back in NZ still support the Wallabies. I got a son in law, and a nieces husband are Aussies and rightfully still support them against ABs. To the point in my old rugby club when Bledisloe tests on there was a corner left for one to set up Wallabie's supporter's stuff etc. I am of the opinion you never change who you support whether it Test, provincial or club, see Reds will always be my Aussie team as I can't change even when I leave here.

Status
Not open for further replies.