• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, you would think prep would have to be made for border closures etc, so maybe a hub?
I still think it would be prudent to call off TT now so alternate plans can be made.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think they stick belligerently to the intended plan until it just isn't possible. Duck calm above water, paddling like crazy underneath with B Plans.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think they stick belligerently to the intended plan until it just isn't possible. Duck calm above water, paddling like crazy underneath with B Plans.

Seems it starting to get legs the idea of a third round Super Ao, first Clark the CEO at the Clan, and now Hore from the Blues is talking to press about it https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...o-expand-if-transtasman-competition-ruled-out. Reckon we will know by mid-march and will be very very surprised if TT can happen.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Queensland has had lots of ridiculous border closures but have been very open to sporting bubbles like last season so you could expect that teams could still fly in and out to play games there.
Get the Hammer to bring Fiji Drua into said bubble for a 6-team TT replacement comp. An extra match each round. ;)

Perhaps even add Pasifika Moana (although I worry that franchise won't be long-term viable).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Reds have a massive website banner that reads 6 HOME GAMES when you go to their membership page, that number includes two games of the trans tasman comp and they've been selling memberships to cover those games.

I imagine it could be a pretty big admin job to refund ticket holders for two games unless the comp goes ahead or they fill those games with other teams. Then again, I know some people who specifically bought three game memberships with the intention of using two if the games for the TT comp (Crusaders and Blues), I wonder if they'll be entitled to a full refund.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds have a massive website banner that reads 6 HOME GAMES when you go to their membership page, that number includes two games of the trans tasman comp and they've been selling memberships to cover those games.

I imagine it could be a pretty big admin job to refund ticket holders for two games unless the comp goes ahead or they fill those games with other teams. Then again, I know some people who specifically bought three game memberships with the intention of using two if the games for the TT comp (Crusaders and Blues), I wonder if they'll be entitled to a full refund.

I think we will be playing 3 rounds of Super Rugby AU if the Trans Tasman comp doesn't go ahead.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Same happened last year. We actually got more games for our membership. How is it the Reds fault if the borders are locked down? Surely if people kept that in mind when purchasing.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Same happened last year. We actually got more games for our membership. How is it the Reds fault if the borders are locked down? Surely if people kept that in mind when purchasing.

Mate where did I say it was the Reds fault?

Also your last point is quite absurd. It is the responsibility of the business to advertise what products are available, the customer then selects from those products. The Reds are offering memberships and ticket sales which include the TT games, if they're willing to take my money for it, as the customer you have to assume it is happening.

Do you go to Maccas and pay for a Big Mac, but then also worry about whether they've sold out of Big Macs after you've paid for it?

The Reds aren't at fault here, they can't control COVID and as far as they're aware the TT comp is still going ahead. My point was that they're currently advertising an offering that may not be happening. So they either need to update their marketing, or start thinking about alternatives for people who have already purchased the full membership/tickets to the TT games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really think to stop confusion, maybe both Rugby boards need to say it off now? Can only be about 10% chance of it happening surely, and one would assume the Aussie teams are making alternate plans and letting people know that they are doing that. Seems over here the clubs are quite open to letting us know what they are working on.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think any announcement will come from Aus clubs until the Stan launch has finished. It’d be very poor policy from RA or the clubs to jeopardize one of the main selling points for people to sign upto it. Suspect there will be news from Aus clubs in a months time when marketing campaigns have finished.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is the TT comp really a main selling point though? Hardcore rugby fans will be getting the Stan subscription no matter what. And any new fans probably don't care about the NZ based teams at this stage, they're more likely to support and watch their local team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really think to stop confusion, maybe both Rugby boards need to say it off now? Can only be about 10% chance of it happening surely, and one would assume the Aussie teams are making alternate plans and letting people know that they are doing that. Seems over here the clubs are quite open to letting us know what they are working on.

I disagree.

They need to work out what will happen if it doesn't go ahead, but why would you cancel something now that you want to go ahead if at all possible?

Why do I need three months notice that a couple of home games in May might end up being against different teams?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I disagree.

They need to work out what will happen if it doesn't go ahead, but why would you cancel something now that you want to go ahead if at all possible?

Why do I need three months notice that a couple of home games in May might end up being against different teams?

I think it's in the best interests of the fans to give as much notice as possible.

People might be organizing travel and accom to come to Brisbane and watch the Crusaders or Blues play considering they may not travel to Oz each year if a similar format remains.

I think at the very least the Super Rugby organization needs to keep updating the fans with the current situation, likelihood of games happening etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is the TT comp really a main selling point though? Hardcore rugby fans will be getting the Stan subscription no matter what. And any new fans probably don't care about the NZ based teams at this stage, they're more likely to support and watch their local team.

Big draw for me.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
It's not like Stan is a lock-in contract. If TT doesn't happen people can just cancel the sub.

Be interesting to see how the active subscription numbers go up and down as the Rugby seasons start & end. If it's even noticeable to them or not.

Personally I've decided to start with the 4K sub, see how much I use it, pair back (or even cancel completely once the rugby season is over) depending on my actual usage of it outside of watching Rugby.

Haven't signed up yet. Will do so Friday morning to maximise the 30-day free trial period for both regular Stan as well as StanSport.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's not like Stan is a lock-in contract. If TT doesn't happen people can just cancel the sub.

Be interesting to see how the active subscription numbers go up and down as the Rugby seasons start & end. If it's even noticeable to them or not.

Personally I've decided to start with the 4K sub, see how much I use it, pair back (or even cancel completely once the rugby season is over) depending on my actual usage of it outside of watching Rugby.

Haven't signed up yet. Will do so Friday morning to maximise the 30-day free trial period for both regular Stan as well as StanSport.

Why would you cancel it when you're getting another 9 - 10 or so club games a week beyond that?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think it's in the best interests of the fans to give as much notice as possible.

People might be organizing travel and accom to come to Brisbane and watch the Crusaders or Blues play considering they may not travel to Oz each year if a similar format remains.

I think at the very least the Super Rugby organization needs to keep updating the fans with the current situation, likelihood of games happening etc.

Exactly, don't we want everyone to think that they are informed of what to expect? I do think here in NZ we are getting plenty of warning that it unlikely to happen, as I would expect. It's the people who have to travel that you want keep informed, may find if some being somewhat reluctant come in future if they find games cancelled etc.

Mind you after thinking about it, let's face it we all probably realise it's not going to happen, so guess everyone should know not to book anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.