• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You're talking about 20+ years ago. A lot can and does change in that time. You're operating on outdated data and while you should always look to learn from the past it's never smart to live in it.

That is a bit insulting, my friend. Rugby is where it is in Hong Kong because of the huge success of the Sevens. I saw that success at first hand, from 1977 on, and the most significant reason for the continuing success was the total refurbishment of the Government Stadium, a project that I had a significant involvement in.

You are much more up to date than me. Tell me, what sort of crowds do international games draw in Hong Kong these days? Not talking about the blockbusters that involve games between the Wallabies and the ABs, and the like.

A final bit of ancient wisdom. When George W. Bush invaded Iraq, he did so on the premise that the Iraqi people were all thirsting for democracy, and all that needed to happen was for Saddam Hussein's regime to be overthrown, and everything would be hunky-dory. He believed this, because he had been assured that it was true by some very persuasive and well-meaning Iraqi expats.

Twiggy knows that a Super Rugby type competition will be a success in Asia, because he has been persuaded by some good rugby people, people who are much more up to date than I am.

I hope they are right, and I am wrong.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That is a bit insulting, my friend. Rugby is where it is in Hong Kong because of the huge success of the Sevens. I saw that success at first hand, from 1977 on, and the most significant reason for the continuing success was the total refurbishment of the Government Stadium, a project that I had a significant involvement in.

You are much more up to date than me. Tell me, what sort of crowds do international games draw in Hong Kong these days? Not talking about the blockbusters that involve games between the Wallabies and the ABs, and the like.

A final bit of ancient wisdom. When George W. Bush invaded Iraq, he did so on the premise that the Iraqi people were all thirsting for democracy, and all that needed to happen was for Saddam Hussein's regime to be overthrown, and everything would be hunky-dory. He believed this, because he had been assured that it was true by some very persuasive and well-meaning Iraqi expats.

Twiggy knows that a Super Rugby type competition will be a success in Asia, because he has been persuaded by some good rugby people, people who are much more up to date than I am.

I hope they are right, and I am wrong.

How is that insulting? You're experience of Hong Kong is at least 20 years old. A lot can and most often does change in that time frame. Your data is outdated and you're are trying to use the past as a placeholder to the present. It doesn't work that way.

This is what I know of Hong Kong. They have full time set ups for both 7s and 15s. This is backed up by their local league which like Japan is actually heavily corporate backed. The HKRFU is entering the second year of a 5 year program to introduce active participation of the game into every school in the territory at all levels. Be it. Full contact or touch based.

They don't sell out Hong Kong stadium. That's true. But that has to do with the fact that they play a very limited range of teams in a limited range of tournaments against the likes of Korea, Sri Lanka etc. Not huge draw cards. But the IPRC isn't about international Rugby. It's a different beast. At least initially it will be about tapping into the existing ex-pat base. That's not actually a bad thing. But HK like Malaysia are actually taking proactive steps to further engage and active their local populations. Which will be vital for this competition in years 5, 10, 15 and beyond.

This is something that really frustrates me. People's inability to look beyond their nose's wanting instant results and gratification. If it's not going to have 100,000 people in the stands from day one then it's not worth it. This mentality gets you absolutely nowhere. In order to build something real and lasting you have to invest the time and money to foster growth. Not declare. Too hard, why try.

I'd like to think that's what the likes of Forrest etc. in the billionaires club look at when making their investment decisions. Because success starts with hard work, vision and a lot of risk.

Oh, and about where I get my information from. That comes from people directly involved in the game in Hong Kong. Just like where I get my information on the plans to launch a professional league in Sth America and how I knew about the existence of Major League Rugby in the US a year before it was announced.

T

TOCC

I don't think comments didn't come across as insulting, whilst you offer valuable insight i think its a fair point to raise that you're working off knowledge and experience from over 20years ago. You only need to look at how much the sporting landscape has evolved in Australian in the same time frame so see how quickly things can change.

I mean even in the past month there's been some changes to sport within Hong Kong a sizeable government grant outlaid to a trust fund for running the Hong Kong AIS equivalent as well as new funding allocated for attracting commercial sports to Hong Kong.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well either way, if they can get 20000 people for high school matches and the Bradby Shield school challenge series is one of the most highly-rated television shows of the year, there is certainly potential worth at least a look at.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Well either way, if they can get 20000 people for high school matches and the Bradby Shield school challenge series is one of the most highly-rated television shows of the year, there is certainly potential worth at least a look at.

My understanding is that rugby has always had some prominence in Sri Lanka. According to wikipedia it is number 2 in Asia in terms of player numbers and they actually have a national rugby competition.

One of my favourite Rugby memories was the sevens at the Commonwealth Games with Sri Lanka playing Tonga and the whole crowd yelling at the Sri Lankan's to run the other way as many of them didn't seem keen to get tackled by the much larger Tongan defenders

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think there are two questions here, though. Does rugby have some popularity in these countries? Sure. Are they ready to compete in a pro comp against the Force? I highly doubt it, unless the sugar daddies can import talent wholesale.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think there are two questions here, though. Does rugby have some popularity in these countries? Sure. Are they ready to compete in a pro comp against the Force? I highly doubt it, unless the sugar daddies can import talent wholesale.

Is anyone actually suggesting that be the case? Thought we all accepted the need to import talent for these teams to be competitive.

T

TOCC

I thought that was one of the concepts of this competition, that marquee players would be distributed around to boost those teams. I agree the ability to supply those teams with domestically produced players is th crux of the competition, there’s no easy solution and why it hasn’t been achieved up till now.

It’s a fine balancing act between selecting markets which offer commercial opportunities and financial sustainability as well as catering to those which offer organic support and potential home grown players.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nick Marvin sees big picture at Western Force after crossing from Perth Wildcats
Nick Taylor The West Australian Friday, 16 March 2018

Western Force chief executive Nick Marvin has been on a steep learning curve since leaving the Perth Wildcats.
Nick Marvin admits he knew very little about rugby union five months ago when mining magnate Andrew Forrest came calling.
Since that point he has been on a very steep — and quick — learning curve in his role as chief executive of the reborn Western Force.
Marvin sought a new challenge after 11 years as chief executive of the Perth Wildcats.
That challenge landed in his lap when Rugby Australia lowered the boom on the Force and Forrest stepped in with his radical new plan to transform the sport.
Forrest’s ideas were viewed with disdain and dismissed by sceptics, but the Force are now just seven weeks away from their first game of World Series Rugby, the re-branded Indo Pacific Rugby Championship, against Fiji at nib Stadium.
After being locked in lengthy talks with rugby administrators, Forrest described the speed they had been forced to move to this point as “glacial”.
Marvin is in agreeance.
“It’s frustrating that at every step of the way there is someone that reminds you of how it was done and why this may not happen,” Marvin said.
“Rugby fundamentally has got to change the way it looks at itself. If you keep doing things the way it was done, the result will only get worse.”
The next two years are crucial for WSR, the future of Super Rugby and the game in Australia. Next year’s World Cup may force a slight change in WSR’s charted course, possibly playing matches against sides that fail to make the finals.
But its real impact will be felt in 2020 when the current Super Rugby broadcast deal ends.
“The next 24 months is a very important window in rugby. Next year’s WSR format may be a trial or a skeletal format of the competition that we are aiming for,” Marvin said.
“But that gives us the oppor-tunity to really road-test it. It allows us to build into 2020 and to really have a crack at what could be an all-embracing competition over the entire region.”
Marvin was unsure whether that included Super Rugby.
“That just depends on how things unfold in the sport,” he said. “Nothing is excluded. We are more than happy to be the vehicle for rugby in this region in whatever shape it takes.
iiNet releases new entertainment bundle iiNet Sponsored
“Everyone is welcome.”
Marvin said new RA chief executive Raelene Castle had been “very open-minded and very supportive”. However, there has been no softening on RA’s stand on Wallabies eligibility and whether WSR players will be eligible for national duty.
But that does not overly concern Marvin.
“The impact in year one is minimal and 18 months is a long time before the impact of any decision will take its course. Our interest is for rugby to become a powerhouse in Australia once more,” he said. “We may follow different paths to achieve it, but we will get there.”
There has been a slight shift in focus, including the name change from Indo Pacific Rugby, but there has been no relaxing in efforts to lure home Australian players currently overseas to strengthen prospective WSR clubs.
“In the short-term local talent will have to be augmented,” Marvin said. “There is no harm in the short term of augmenting talent in the hope of building something special over time.
“We have to play the long game, but all good things only come over time.
“The Indo Pacific name is not entirely reflective of the Asia Pacific region.
“The idea is to have something that captures the imagination.”

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I like that quote: "every step of the way somebody reminds you of how it was done and why this may not happen".

Take a tip from an old timer, Nick, he who forgets history is doomed to repeat it. Or something like that.

T

TOCC

Are you worried that Andrew Forrest’s proposed World Series Rugby competition will raid the Shute Shield for talent?

Yes, we are certainly concerned. For me, I just don’t understand where this competition fits into the Australian rugby landscape. I don’t understand how it is part of the strategic thinking for the future of Australian rugby

SRU President David Begg is worried about the impact of Twiggy League on the Shute Shield

https://rugbynews.net.au/qa-sydney-...david-begg-talks-2018-future-rugby-australia/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No you need a 3rd question which is can rugby offer the growth in that country to justify the investment, noting yes will need a LOT of imports short term which is not a viable long term solution unless they generate growth and improvement to have more locally produced players playing for them long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good interview from David Begg but I think he misses the opportunity twiggy rugby brings via more professional opportunities for oz players and hence growth at all levels that offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of a trickle up effect, eh? Twiggy's cash takes a few more of our better club players which, err, results in growth?

As the economist said, in the long run we are all dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.