• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Which Clubs are the Class of 2015 going to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKO

Frank Nicholson (4)
What is his defence like? If he has a weakness in his tackling he will go nowhere in League

The games I have seen, he has been ordinary and others have told me he will struggle alone in defence, plus having some big forwards running at him won't be fun. A lot different than playing 7s

TKO

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm not so sure.
There are plenty of weak/missed tackles in league ,since they started to coach them to catch the ball runner,rather than knocking him over.

Bozos opinion of the kid will determine his future there,not his tackling technique.
He mightn't feature in the org chart,but he is the boss down there.

From some mates who are close to the club, that is true about Bozo, but he is all in it for himself. Don't be surprised if his sons, Brett and Scott down the track take over the coaching roll there with the old man helping. The boys already have recruiting rolls there, including Jason Lussick ( Darcey and Joey's father ) who is best mates with Bozo and his sons. One of the reasons why Darcy is back and John Hopoate is coaching. Jobs for the boys at mates rates

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
^^^
How many young loig players are there getting their chance for say the Kangaroos?

Of those that do, not many last. Remember the numbers game. There are lots more positions for professional athletes in that code (Is there 18 NRL Squads + 2 SOO Squads (3 games) + Kangaroos (<5 games per year)) but there are lots more players trying out to land one of those positions.

We have 5 Super Rugby Squads, and Wallabies that play 10=14 games per year).

Both codes have a habit of chewing up and spitting out the latest next best thing straight out of school. I hope the kid makes it as an professional athlete but, pardon the cynicism, we've seen it all before - many times.

The likes of the Richie McCaw's, David Pocock's, Freddy Fittler's, Joey John's, Brad Thorn's etc do not grow on trees.

I think as you mentioned the sheer number of contracts and potential to be a full time professional is a major part of the appeal. 16 clubs in league with 25 full time contacts is 400 spots. 5 super teams at 30 is 150 spots.

Also the ascension to the top is much quicker, there a notable number of players in the top 25 contracted still playing under 20s and even more will debut before they have finished 20s. Compare to super rugby how many each year debut before they finish 20s? Many would suggest if you haven't debuted by the end of 20s in league you are effectively done. Debuts before 20s in union are rare.

Andrew Kellaway was rated by many a better prospect than Moeroa yet to this point Moeroa has had 2 seasons playing grade to Kellaways none. If Kellaway had opted for league I would hazard a guess he would have debuted already.

I wonder why someone like Jesse Parahi has given up a very probable Olympic berth to join the wests Tigers?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wonder why someone like Jesse Parahi has given up a very probable Olympic berth to join the wests Tigers?
Watched him playing today in the Oceania Sevens. Big boy played well but lacked a bit of speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think it's been mentioned before, but Jooste is a Brumby. The writer of this article seems to think that he's going to waltz into To'omua's now vacant spot.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think as you mentioned the sheer number of contracts and potential to be a full time professional is a major part of the appeal. 16 clubs in league with 25 full time contacts is 400 spots. 5 super teams at 30 is 150 spots.

Also the ascension to the top is much quicker, there a notable number of players in the top 25 contracted still playing under 20s and even more will debut before they have finished 20s. Compare to super rugby how many each year debut before they finish 20s? Many would suggest if you haven't debuted by the end of 20s in league you are effectively done. Debuts before 20s in union are rare.

Andrew Kellaway was rated by many a better prospect than Moeroa yet to this point Moeroa has had 2 seasons playing grade to Kellaways none. If Kellaway had opted for league I would hazard a guess he would have debuted already.

Wasn't Kellaway playing 1st grade for Randwick in this year's Shute Shield? In addition to leading the Australian U20s recently?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Not only did Kellaway play Grade in 2015 he played it in 2014 and he played both seasons in NRC - which is a step above grade.
He played Australian U20s (In NZ and Italy) both years as well.
Without turning it into too much a beauty contest: do you reckon Morea has seen anything more of the world than auckland?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Watched him playing today in the Oceania Sevens. Big boy played well but lacked a bit of speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought he was the fastest forward on the paddock. Definitely the best catch/pass ability of the forwards. This could show up as Ed the only other with a left>right pass in the big guys

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Not only did Kellaway play Grade in 2015 he played it in 2014 and he played both seasons in NRC - which is a step above grade.
Without turning it into too much a beauty contest: do you reckon Morea has seen anything more of the world than auckland?
Melbourne???

TKO

Frank Nicholson (4)

It has to be the $$$$ as he is on $270 000 a season / 3 years

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Wasn't Kellaway playing 1st grade for Randwick in this year's Shute Shield? In addition to leading the Australian U20s recently?
Bad choice of words on my part. With reference to "grade". I meant debut in the professional arena. NRL v Super Rugby.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I guess here lies the romantic ideal of playing rugby for its "chance to see the world" or the Pulver Cape Town v Campbelltown analogy verse the idea of a professional career. As I said sheer number of contracts in NRL and the money available at such a young age make for some young rugby players like those mentioned too good to refuse. The pathway to the top in rugby is far less clear than the vision, rightly or wrongly that can be offered in league.

TKO

Frank Nicholson (4)
I guess here lies the romantic ideal of playing rugby for its "chance to see the world" or the Pulver Cape Town v Campbelltown analogy verse the idea of a professional career. As I said sheer number of contracts in NRL and the money available at such a young age make for some young rugby players like those mentioned too good to refuse. The pathway to the top in rugby is far less clear than the vision, rightly or wrongly that can be offered in league.

Do you think having more Super Rugby Teams is a way to go ?? That way it will give more young rugby players a chance

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The code can't support another Super franchise atm.
I'm ok with losing the odd unproven Schoolkid that can earn ridiculous money in league.
I'd actually be more distressed if our code was signing Schoolkids on $270k contracts before they had ever tackled a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.