1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Which clubs are the Class of 2016 going to?

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by Inside Shoulder, May 16, 2016.

1. sidelineview Banned

Looks like there were no spectators.
    When do they make the first cut in the U20s squad and then decide on the final squad?
  2. Silverado Arch Winning (36)

There is a thread for" 2017 Under 20s Competitions including under 20s World Championship-Georgia" but there's no news on that either. It been very low key after the hype last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Azzuri Trevor Allan (34)

4. The Honey Badger Jim Lenehan (48)

5. Inside Shoulder Nathan Sharpe (72)

Think he got a George Gregan scholarship.
    The Honey Badger likes this.
  6. sidelineview Banned

Good luck to Liam Rasch.
    He was Trinity's best player last season; was a member of the victorious NSW2 team; was a late call up for the Baa Baas team and then wins a scholarship.
    He should be a good pick up for the Brumbies.
  7. Quick Hands David Wilson (68)

They have an arrangement with Uni of NSW which sees boys living on campus and also receiving academic and career mentoring.
  8. Black & White Jim Clark (26)

Sounds similar to Sydney University, who have also attracted great depth and talent for their club. It appears to be an advantage to have a uni nearby, or be a University Club these days. 20 years ago Sydney University was struggling as a club and were even beaten by Penrith.

As a Woodies supporter, I hope the powers to be at Eastwood can develop a similar arrangement with Macquarie University. Particularly, as Eastwood Colts were defeated by Uni Colts some 57-12.

Nor is this advantage confined to NSW. Queensland University are one of the stronger clubs up there as well. Further, Bond University are recruiting based on scholarships and can be expected to rival Queensland Uni in the coming years.

The obvious disadvantage of this phenomenon, is that it reflects a narrow social and educational base from which we draw our players. Its a pity that Parramatta and Penrith are not swamped by such talent.
    Breaks_Away and Quick Hands like this.
  9. Shadow Sydney Middleton (9)

The other big advantage for top end players to go to clubs close to Moore Park is the travelling involved in attending Gen Blue training sessions
    Its not really fair on clubs who are along distances from Moore Park for training 4 times a week.
    I think clubs should be empowered to run good weights and training programs and have the Gen Blue staff go and work with the clubs and the players then have to expect everyone come to them and have a weekly group session at Moore Park. I think this would help keep players at there local clubs then have to join clubs closer to the city and get some rental assistance.
  10. Quick Hands David Wilson (68)

11. The Honey Badger Jim Lenehan (48)

Rasch and Sheldon are the only 2 I know. Sikimeti is from QLD I believe.
  12. Shadow Sydney Middleton (9)

David Tifa - Southern Districts
  13. Inside Shoulder Nathan Sharpe (72)

no one to easts!?
  14. The Honey Badger Jim Lenehan (48)

Fenn, NRL Manly

Can anyone confirm?
  15. Shane Smeltz Fred Wood (13)

I think Fenn is doing the SG Ball U18 summer comp. Not sure how likely it is he will be picked up for U20s for next year e.g. like Tyrone has been.

Manly almost never pick from their SG Ball squads - they recruit outside the insular peninsular (yes I know Fenn does not live on the Beaches?). Case in point: the talented older Johns boy, who played SG Ball this time last year was not picked up despite his pedigree. Late last year he was signed by Newcastle Knights (his father's Alma Mater of course).

While I am at it a general update on the peninsula boys:

W Manu, Year 12, Auggies
    M Hingano, Syd Uni
    C Prince, Randwick
    J Ongosia, two year Mission, following his heart and good on him
    E Fry, SG Ball I think? And after that who knows, poss league or Warringah Colts
    B Gleeson, SG Ball then Manly
  16. Rich_E Ron Walden (29)

Charlie Jeavons-Fellows, hooker for Scots and NSW 1sts in 2016, and winner of the 'Most Valuable Player' award in the G&GR 2016 AAGPS Special Awards, is playing at 7 for the Worcester Warriors Academy u18s side in the UK - see link below.

Well done Charlie.

http://www.warriors.co.uk/mobile/rugby/matchcentre/10137.php
    formerflanker and Azzuri like this.
  17. Breakdown Charlie Fox (21)

Is this a NSW thread or simply no news on QLD players?
  18. The Honey Badger Jim Lenehan (48)

Read back a few pages.

Plenty of posts from The King about QLD boys
    Breakdown likes this.
  19. Breakdown Charlie Fox (21)

Thanks Badger, saw them. Thought there may be some more current info given clubs are well under way now.
  20. The Honey Badger Jim Lenehan (48)

The King might be good enough to do a summary of all his knowledge in 1 post.

Similar to what Gary Owen III did with the NSW and combined states team.
    Silverado likes this.