• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Which oz players will retire or play overseas after rwc 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTruth

IMO
Sharpie, Rocky, Gits, Burgess, Chisolm, Van to play OS
Cooper to NRL

Going to be some big losses to Wallabies so initiating new blood in 2010 has probably been a good thing

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Was thinking the same thing earlier today. Dont think Rocky will go, but agree with the rest.

NZ are potentially in a worse position, but I suppose that is the topic of a whole other thread

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was thinking the same thing earlier today. Dont think Rocky will go, but agree with the rest.

NZ are potentially in a worse position, but I suppose that is the topic of a whole other thread

Why don't you think Rocky would go?

I would love for him to stay but surely his intentions in regards to his current contract would indicate that he'll be looking to return to Ireland post-RWC...

I'm worried Moore will go too, but I feel he'll still be good for the 2015 RWC...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Giteau
Barnes
Sharpe

The rest will stay and Rocky will be looking to the 2013 Lions as he has already done the overseas thing.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely the Lions tour is just as big as being part of a world cup to these players.

I'm not expecting a mass exodus like the money & hot pussy hungry New Zealanders who have to go overseas for that.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I had a feeling Sharpe had committed to the Force for to at least 2012. But could be wrong.

IMO it will be Giteau, Barnes, Rocky at least.
Possibly AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cooper, Ioane and Moore could go too.

Edit: How much will it have to do with how we go? If we win it will players go because they have achieved the pinnacle. If we get knocked out early will players stick around to have another crack, or will they go because of the disappointment?

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Why don't you think Rocky would go?

I think thats part of why he was given the captaincy - there is (I hope) a common understanding between the coach, management and captain, and I think it's be a bit rich for the cap to bugger off to ireland, wouldn't it?

I also thought I read something about him saying he always wanted to play in europe, but now he has done that and thats why he came back. May be wrong, or it may have been media BS. Have you heard oterwise?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
this is who I THINK is off contract:

Ben Daley
Digby Ioane
Greg Holmes
James Horwill
Lei Tomeki
Leroy Houston
Luke Morahan
Quade Cooper
Radike Samo
Van Humphries
Will Chambers
Will Genia
Al Baxter
Ben Mowen
Berrick Barnes
Cam Jowitt
Dean Mumm
Drew Mitchell
Josh Holmes
Kurtley Beale
Lachlan Turner
Luke Burgess
Pat O'Connor
Phil Waugh
Rob Horne
Ryan Cross
Sekope Kepu
Sosene Anesi
Tatafu Polota-Nau
Will Caldwell
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Ben Alexander
Colby Fainga'a
Huia Edmonds
Josh Valentine
Matt Giteau
Mitchell Chapman
Pat McCabe
Patrick Phipps
Rocky Elsom
Samu Wara
Stephen Moore
Tyrone Smith
Ben McCalman
Brett Sheehan
James O'Connor
James Stannard
Jono Jenkins
Mark Bartholomeausz
Matt Dunning
Matt Hodgson
Mitchell Inman
Nathan Sharpe
Nick Cummins
Pek Cowan
Richard Brown
Sam Wykes
Tevita Metuisela
Tim Fairbrother
Tom Hockings
Julian Huxley
Sam Cordingly

Not sure about a lot of the Rebels, as their contract details have been kept pretty quiet.

There's a lot of quality there. Ones I think most at risk of leaving are:

Digby Ioane, Greg Holmes, Lei Tomeki, Leroy Houston, Quade Cooper, Radike Samo, Van Humphries, Al Baxter, Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell, Phil Waugh, Ryan Cross, Will Caldwell, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Ben Alexander, Huia Edmonds, Josh Valentine, Matt Giteau, Patrick Phipps, Rocky Elsom, Stephen Moore, Tyrone Smith, Brett Sheehan, James Stannard, Mark Bartholomeausz, Matt Dunning, Matt Hodgson, Nathan Sharpe, Richard Brown, Tim Fairbrother, Julian Huxley, Sam Cordingly

T

TheTruth

this is who I THINK is off contract:

Ben Daley
Digby Ioane
Greg Holmes
James Horwill
Lei Tomeki
Leroy Houston
Luke Morahan
Quade Cooper
Radike Samo
Van Humphries
Will Chambers
Will Genia
Al Baxter
Ben Mowen
Berrick Barnes
Cam Jowitt
Dean Mumm
Drew Mitchell
Josh Holmes
Kurtley Beale
Lachlan Turner
Luke Burgess
Pat O'Connor
Phil Waugh
Rob Horne
Ryan Cross
Sekope Kepu
Sosene Anesi
Tatafu Polota-Nau
Will Caldwell
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Ben Alexander
Colby Fainga'a
Huia Edmonds
Josh Valentine
Matt Giteau
Mitchell Chapman
Pat McCabe
Patrick Phipps
Rocky Elsom
Samu Wara
Stephen Moore
Tyrone Smith
Ben McCalman
Brett Sheehan
James O'Connor
James Stannard
Jono Jenkins
Mark Bartholomeausz
Matt Dunning
Matt Hodgson
Mitchell Inman
Nathan Sharpe
Nick Cummins
Pek Cowan
Richard Brown
Sam Wykes
Tevita Metuisela
Tim Fairbrother
Tom Hockings
Julian Huxley
Sam Cordingly

Not sure about a lot of the Rebels, as their contract details have been kept pretty quiet.

There's a lot of quality there. Ones I think most at risk of leaving are:

Digby Ioane, Greg Holmes, Lei Tomeki, Leroy Houston, Quade Cooper, Radike Samo, Van Humphries, Al Baxter, Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell, Phil Waugh, Ryan Cross, Will Caldwell, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Ben Alexander, Huia Edmonds, Josh Valentine, Matt Giteau, Patrick Phipps, Rocky Elsom, Stephen Moore, Tyrone Smith, Brett Sheehan, James Stannard, Mark Bartholomeausz, Matt Dunning, Matt Hodgson, Nathan Sharpe, Richard Brown, Tim Fairbrother, Julian Huxley, Sam Cordingly

Jesus!!!!!!!!

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I would be surprised to see the Fuse go, only because he is set up with an architectural firm over here I thought?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
IMO
Van to play OS

I would like him to stay at the Reds as a coach for the young forwards, all the players talk about him being an impressive trainer and this might help with coaching, he wont be aksing more of anyone than he would do.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I think that Barnes will definetly leave, with Cooper JOC (James O'Connor) To'omua Tapuai Coleman all coming through at 10/12 he will have his hands full.

I can see a big payday from someone like Biarritz.

I dont think Digby will leave doesn't he have a strong family connection in Melbourne, hes also pretty weird around trusting people aswell.

Nice guy but I can't see him leaving for Europe, maybe Japan though when he gets a bit older

T

Thomas

Greg Holmes
Radike Samo
Sekope Kepu
Sosene Anesi
Huia Edmonds
Those would be my guesses of who would leave

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why do some people think Barnes will leave? He's probably in the drivers seat for the starting 12 position & he's still pretty young.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Why do some people think Barnes will leave? He's probably in the drivers seat for the starting 12 position & he's still pretty young.

He is always grumpy.

And besides he and Giteau are just keeping JOCs position warm for him.

R

RonnieP

Given how competitive the market will be after the World Cup I don't see how guys like Van Humphries, Cordingly, Bartholomeausz, Huxley & co are going to get a gig. Most of them have done their stint overseas but they are all too old. Keep in mind French and UK clubs can only use 2 foreign players on the field at any one time. In Japan it is 3 but they are now cutting their squads to only 6 foreign players per squad. Consider all the kiwis going over, not much room or interest in second tier players.

The players who might go are the one's being offered money too good to turn down and players who's stock is on the way down and need to cash in now before it's too late.

I think the players who we are at risk of losing and don't want to lose are: Quade Cooper (I heard Toulon was v interested), Drew Mitchell, Digby Ioane (is so injury prone, needs to get his pay day before its too late - Japan?), Adam Ashley Cooper, Rocky Elsom, Stephen Moore.

The ones who should go now before its too late: Matt Giteau (100% leaving), Richard Brown, Huia Edmonds, Leroy Houston, Phil Waugh, Ryan Cross, Josh Valentine, Mitchell Chapman, Tyrone Smith

To be honest, I think we will fare much better than New Zealand. They will lose quite a few of their first XV including McCaw, Carter, Rockocko, Nonu etc. The real $$$ will be spent on them, not to mention other top international players. Guys like Quade and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be smarter to play the field, source a few big offers, come back to the ARU and get the big 2-3 yr contract then head overseas year before RWC 2015.

T

TOCC

People say Quade only signed a 12month contract so he could leave after the RWC...possibly, but on the other hand it's pretty smart, with Gits and Barnes off contract and both unlikely to stay, Coopers value will rocket up.

Status
Not open for further replies.