• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who is going to win the cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
State who is going to win the World Cup and why.
Rules:
You are only allowed to use results from previous World Cups as evidence as to why your chosen team will win.
Example: New Zealand will win it as they have won every tournament held in New Zealand.

You are allowed to point out the flaws in someone's statement.
Any posts that are negative/abusive will be deleted.
This thread is supposed to be a bit of fun.

So here is one that someone pointed out to me
Australia are will be champions in 2011 (New Zealand and 1987 don't count as it was the first) as the winner has always beaten the previous title holder during the tournament.

1991 - Australia (def. NZ in the semis)
1995 - S. Africa (def Aus during the round matches)
1999 - Australia (def RSA in the semis)
2003 - England (def Aus in the final)
2007 - S. Africa (def Eng in the final)
2011 - Australia (def RSA in the quarters)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
the All Blacks to win.

They are the only tem left who topped their pool as per every other tornament.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Australia. Last time it was south Africa and before that England, there is the war on terror, financial crisis, racism, regimes in countries killing millions, the world needs something good that they can all look to, The Wallabies are that thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia will win.

The RWC started in 1987 and it took us 4 years to win the thing in 1991.

It then took us 8 years to win again in 1999.

As it gets tougher each time (by four years) we are due for the win in 2011. 12 years after our last win.

We better enjoy it though, because after this year, our next win won't come until 2027.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Wales.

Youth, strong team structure, good set-peice, lots of depth. Plus I suspect Framce have played their final against England.

Australia and NZ will beat each other to a pulp whilst the Welsh have a somewhat easier semi-final (although I wouldn't write off the French cause...well....they're the French).

Just a thought, and to be honest if it isn't the Wallabies who win it, Wales are my second favourite.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Australia.

Only team to have conceded 0 tries against top opposition (Italy, Ireland, South Africa)

NZ have conceded 3 against France & Argentina.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It depends who makes it to the final.

If NZ get past Oz, theyll take the final. If the wallabies get up this weekend, then it will depend who they play. I think Aus vs Wales in the final is too hard to predict. Australia would love to face France in the final. I would consider Australia is France's 'bogey' side.

So I'd go with NEw Zealand. Australia and France have always struggled to play more than 2 good games in a row.

U

Utility Back

Australia. Last time it was south Africa and before that England, there is the war on terror, financial crisis, racism, regimes in countries killing millions, the world needs something good that they can all look to, The Wallabies are that thing.

You forgot climate change...the wallabies will do it for the Polar Bears.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Australia.

The Wallabies have had a month in the freezing NZ weather and 5 away games with an aggressive crowd to get used to the atmosphere that makes playing in NZ so daunting. This should go along way to neutralising what creates the Hoodoo that is Eden Park.

I

International Badboy

State who is going to win the World Cup and why.
Rules:
You are only allowed to use results from previous World Cups as evidence as to why your chosen team will win.
Example: New Zealand will win it as they have won every tournament held in New Zealand.

You are allowed to point out the flaws in someone's statement.
Any posts that are negative/abusive will be deleted.
This thread is supposed to be a bit of fun.

So here is one that someone pointed out to me
Australia are will be champions in 2011 (New Zealand and 1987 don't count as it was the first) as the winner has always beaten the previous title holder during the tournament.

1991 - Australia (def. NZ in the semis)
1995 - S. Africa (def Aus during the round matches)
1999 - Australia (def RSA in the semis)
2003 - England (def Aus in the final)
2007 - S. Africa (def Eng in the final)
2011 - Australia (def RSA in the quarters)

however who ever one the world cup has never lost a game....

also about not conceding points against opposition..22 points to russia?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I didn't say there wouldn't be conflicts.

Anyhoo someone was written an article looking the exact same thing.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/world-cup/opinions/show/2580444/world-cup-history-fact-or-fallacy/

Yahoo7 said:
It's always important to learn from history so what can we learn from past World Cups?

The team who beats the defending champions wins the World Cup:

In 1991 the Wallabies sent the All Blacks packing. In '95 the Springboks shocked the Wallabies in the tournament opener. In '99 the Wallabies dismissed the Springboks in a thrilling semi-final. Four years later the English finsihed the Wallabies in extra time and finally in 2007 the Boks finished the English hopes of a double.

Good Omen for: Wallabies; sent the defending champions packing in the quarterfinals.

Every World Cup winner has never lost in pool play:

Look back and you'll find every champion has gone through the tournament unbeaten. Look at the 2011 edition and the only unbeaten team that remains is the All Blacks. The Welsh were outlasted by the Boks. The Wallabies were shocked by the Irish and the French have staggeringly lost twice - to NZ and Tonga - and are still just two matches from the World Cup crown.

Good Omen for: All Blacks

Every World Cup winner has fielded a stable and well-established first-five eighth:

The point has been raised, from Cup winning skipper Nick Farr-Jones in particular that every winning team's fly-half has enjoyed a long and successful career. We start with the great All Black Grant Fox, then Wallaby legend Michael Lynagh, South Africa's Joel Stransky, Stephen Larkham, Jonny Wilkinson and finally Butch James. The two South Africans, although no slouches, didn't enjoy the longevity of their peers on this list.

Good Omen for: Wallabies. It's hard to split with all the remaining fly-halves relatively young and still finding their feet at the top. With Dan Carter out of action; Quade Cooper is the premier pivot left standing. Will he be great? Time will tell.

The Wallabies have never lost a semi final to the All Blacks:

Nick Farr-Jones, Michael Lynagh and David Campese masterminded a 16-6 semi final triumph at Landsdowne Rd over the then defending champion All Blacks. In 2003 the All Blacks ran up 50 points while beating the Wallabies by 29 in Sydney. Fast forward three months and the Wallabies had them capitulating in a game they seemed very unlikely to lose. This also gave George Gregan a chance to coin the great, 'Four more years' sledge.

Good omen for: Wallabies

Nobody has defeated the All Blacks at Eden Park in 17 years.

On July 3 1994, a big lad by the name of Jonah Lomu was playing his second Test on the wing for the All Blacks. That day the French also defeated the All Blacks 23-20. Just over a month later the Springboks recently re-admitted to world rugby managed to draw 18-all at the same venue. Since then every visiting team has met the same fate - defeat.

The Wallabies last tasted success on the hallowed turf in 1986 but seem to be approaching it with the only attitude possible in a World Cup semi final.

Dan Vickerman on how to win at Eden Park:

Well you have to. The All Blacks are hard to beat there but we've never played [or lost] a World Cup semi final there.

The All Blacks have played a semi final there however and they won.

Good omen for: All Blacks

The All Blacks haven't won the World Cup in 24 years.

Every time the All Blacks fall behind on the scoreboard at the World Cup you can see a lot of New Zealanders reaching for their tightening throats and beating hearts. The nation is nervous, the team; despite cool exteriors must be feeling the pressure. When the chips are down will the past become to heavy a burden to bear?

Good omen for: Wallabies

Final: Wallabies by one omen

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Some people don't seem to be able to follow the rules.

While I don't personally believe it, a good argument for the All Blacks would be:

New Zealand has won every time that Australia, Wales, France and New Zealand are semi-finalists.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
All Blacks.
They have been a preparing for this for a long time (1987 WC to be exact).
They can play a tight game or a free flowing game (may not always work, see All WC except 1987).
They may be short Carter but they have 2 former All Black 1st V's in the squad (not counting Slade).
They have a better scrum (All previous Wc).
Their lineout is better.
They have a gameplan that does not rely on a 1st V doing something magical with the ball (see Australia campaign WC 2011).
They have lost to Australia in the past, but analysis of the games show they were very close, not hidings. Australia will not be able to jump them like they did at the 3N as the ABs will be expecting that.
Most of the crowd will be supporting them (WC 1987).
Cory Jane is going out on the piss tomorrow night (WC 2011).
Weepu is playing magnificantly.
SBW is itching to get out there.
Bringing Gear into the squad is even more pressure on the incumbents to perform.
Our backline is not carrying as many injuries as yours.

Bugger me, I am feeling quite confident now. Off to Vanautu for a week so will be looking for a bar in Port Vila to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.