• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What other aspect of the tour do you think the new CEO has any influence over?

His soundbite is a call to Wallabies fans to buy tickets. It's pretty hard to get the fans to do anything else that will have an impact.
You think there will be an empty seat in any of their matches?
I would been more impressed if he had said they were going to get leverage from the tour for and were expecting massive increases in participation etc etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You think there will be an empty seat in any of their matches?

No, but the balance between gold and red is certainly still to be determined.

I would been more impressed if he had said they were going to get leverage from the tour for and were expecting massive increases in participation etc etc.

This would be something to say in an interview where detailed responses were being given and printed. If this was the soundbite he'd gone with you'd just find that it wouldn't be reprinted/shown on the news.

It was a printable quote that is aimed at engaging the public.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
How far do Hawker & Bill Pulver go back as mates - you have to ask the question? Does anyone know?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All 3 CEO's of the ARU have been Sydney GPS Old Boys - coincidence?

It is probably a sign of how dominant GPS rugby was in the overall scheme of Australian Rugby 30+ years ago.

I think the GPS influence is slowly reducing however it will take a long while for that to be reflected in the 50+ age group running the game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Is that for real? Tell me your kidding me
wish I could.
I am optimistic, however: he has been heavily involved in Mosman Rugby Club, his son was Oz schools half back this year, so he should have some insight into the grass roots. having said that - Mosman have more kids in the ARU gold program and squad than any other club (in Sydney) so they're not struggling and i guess Shore and Oz schools is hardly missionary territory for rugby....
People i know who know him love him. i think he could be good for the game but I too am concerned about the connections - which go deeper: he lives in Mosman as do JON and Deans.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It is probably a sign of how dominant GPS rugby was in the overall scheme of Australian Rugby 30+ years ago.

I think the GPS influence is slowly reducing however it will take a long while for that to be reflected in the 50+ age group running the game.
I know - but: QLD were actually the dominant province on the field at that time and in all but about 3 or 4 seasons since.
It was supposed to be a world wide search - low and behold a bloke who went to school with the Chairman and lives in the same suburb as the outgoing CEO and embattled coach gets the nod.
Still, I think he could be very good - its just not a particularly progressive look.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
wish I could.
I am optimistic, however: he has been heavily involved in Mosman Rugby Club, his son was Oz schools half back this year, so he should have some insight into the grass roots. having said that - Mosman have more kids in the ARU gold program and squad than any other club (in Sydney) so they're not struggling and i guess Shore and Oz schools is hardly missionary territory for rugby..
People i know who know him love him. i think he could be good for the game but I too am concerned about the connections - which go deeper: he lives in Mosman as do JON and Deans.

But what does it say the next time around when a new CEO is required?
Quality candidates from elsewhere won't be bothered to nominate as they will see prejudice - rightfully or wrongfully.
For all we know that might of even happened this time around.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I must be missing something - what's wrong with that quote?
That shouldn't be his priority. The state of the game at the grassroots level should be. I don't have my finger on the pulse in NSW/QLD, but most comments seem to suggest, it's not going well.

Besides, too late for that, should of thought about that before they charged inflated prices.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
[quote="Aussie D, post:I like the first line of his vision and the fact he has spent time on the frontlines (through the Mosman club) at grassroots level, this will hopefully help to 'future proof' the game through improved pathways.[/quote]

More than 30 years ago there was a very average player at Mosman who took over the administrative duties of the club when a very serious liver disorder befell his predecessor.

This very average blindside flanker/prop proved himself to be an excellent administrator, and having rescued Mosman from financial oblivion, turned his back on the successful family business and devoted most of the next 30 years of his working life to rugby.

He quickly scaled the corporate ladders of Sydney, NSW and Australian rugby and has successfully served as acting CEO and assistant CEO of the ARU and also as assistant CEO of Football Australia. I'm sure that he applied for this current job.

Isn't this the career path we would like a sporting CEO to have?

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Concur wholeheartedly with BB (at #151,)

Pulver has a background as an extremely successful businessman (– in media & IT – and by the by, he is not totally unfamiliar with what it actually takes to run a club ( like some who still sit in the Halls of Power ??)!

The fact that SuperRugby is now essentially viewed as “entertainment” ( The refs have to even wait for the OB Producer to instruct them to commence play following tries etc - F.F.S. ! – and when was the last time you saw the Referee actually apply the Law to what goes on at S15 matches – totally NOT the way to teach up & coming referees or players how to apply & comply with the laws of the game – but that’s another saga in itself….)

The entertainment side of things produces ( or should produce) the $$ that are needed to flow down the line to the grass roots….as has been expressed on numerous threads on G&G.

So maybe Pulver actually has some idea of how to turn things around to produce such a result – and like BB I don’t believe this has anything to do with whether he prefers leather on his sleeves or barnacles ! Time will no doubt tell….

Whilst many will no doubt be baying for blood before he has even had a chance to warm the chair – and assuming the Board have done their homework, let's at least give the bloke a chance to show the long suffering Australian rugby public what he is made of…. before throwing him to the wolves.

Anyway – I always thought he was a better cricketer than a rugby player………..a little bit like David Gallop when he stepped into his role with the ARL / NRL ( I seem to recall he was a more than useful cricketer too….)

In any event – good luck to him, he’s going to need as much as he can grab, I suspect !

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Really?
About 1/2 the current NSW Schoolboys squads are GPS boys.
That's a big influence.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
[quote="Aussie D, post:I like the first line of his vision and the fact he has spent time on the frontlines (through the Mosman club) at grassroots level, this will hopefully help to 'future proof' the game through improved pathways.

More than 30 years ago there was a very average player at Mosman who took over the administrative duties of the club when a very serious liver disorder befell his predecessor.

This very average blindside flanker/prop proved himself to be an excellent administrator, and having rescued Mosman from financial oblivion, turned his back on the successful family business and devoted most of the next 30 years of his working life to rugby.

He quickly scaled the corporate ladders of Sydney, NSW and Australian rugby and has successfully served as acting CEO and assistant CEO of the ARU and also as assistant CEO of Football Australia. I'm sure that he applied for this current job.

Isn't this the career path we would like a sporting CEO to have?
Will he stay?
I would have thought he was vital in any handover - despite Pulver's asserted business experience the ARU is a completely different beast to anything he has run before.
As far as the soundbite goes - at least he's talking about the grass roots.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
My brothers and sisters, you are all asking the wrong question and focusing on the wrong part of Mr Pulvers appointment right now. It is not his experience, or vision, or financial strengths, or any of that.

It is this - Are you a supporter of Robbie Deans?

:p

Well, that's settled now then:
New Australian Rugby Union CEO Bill Pulver has wasted no time in giving his full backing to under-fire Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.
..... Before his appointment, there was much speculation surrounding the future of Deans, and some saw the arrival of a new CEO as an opportunity for a clean-out of sorts in the Wallabies coaching setup.​
But Pulver gave his unequivocal backing to the 53-year-old New Zealander for the entire 2013 season, including the British and Irish Lions series.​
"Last week Mike (ARU chairman Michael Hawker) on behalf of the board of directors confirmed that Robbie will be the coach throughout 2013 and that is 100 per cent consistent with my personal view.​
"To be absolutely clear Robbie will be coaching the Wallabies right throughout 2013. And at that point we'll then be considering the ..... coach through to the World Cup in 2015.".....​

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...on/story-e6frf55l-1226550605464#ixzz2HSaCFsVG

Status
Not open for further replies.