• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
fp, Link's Scotch background pales into comparison when examining his success coaching the Reds.

Rugby desperately needs to engage a whole new group of people (those who currently don't play rugby) as well as put a flag in the fertile ground of western Sydney. I sincerely hope a private schoolboy, who's spent most of the past two decades overseas before settling back into the familiar surrounds of Sydney's North Shore, with an elite business background is up to the task. I really do, and I look forward to meeting Bill at my local rugby ground at Penrith.

See I struggle with this whole attitude, I don't care what school someone went to, despite spending my youth beating up both Kings and Jame Ruse prats from the evil lair of the local public high school.

As for an "elite business background" isn't that what we want? Someone who has done well?

As for the "familiar surrounds of Sydney's North Shore", well if you do OK that is where you live if he had done really well he would have moved to the Eastern Suburbs, just like the Western Suburbs politicians

And seeing Bill at Penrith will do nothing for the club, it is up to them to lift their game, talk to local businesses and get on their own feet.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
See I struggle with this whole attitude, I don't care what school someone went to, despite spending my youth beating up both Kings and Jame Ruse prats from the evil lair of the local public high school.

As for an "elite business background" isn't that what we want? Someone who has done well?

As for the "familiar surrounds of Sydney's North Shore", well if you do OK that is where you live if you do "OK" if he had done really well he would have moved to the Eastern Suburbs, just like the Western Suburbs politicians

And seeing Bill at Penrith will do nothing for the club, it is up to them to lift their game, talk to local businesses and get on their own feet.

Agree, great fucking post.

We are appointing a CEO here, of course he will be 'elite' and living in the richer parts of Sydney. That's what CEO's do.

D

daz

Just watched him on the 7:30 report. The questioning wasn't the usual friendly questions we expect on the Rugby Club. I was impressed with Pulver's answers.

I wasn't.

1) The QC (Quade Cooper) issue was a non-issue - Really?
2) The coach is locked in to end 2013 - After 2 seconds on the job you are able to make that call, yet when asked you cannot tell us what the coaches KPI's are?
3) The A-League is not a threat (despite potentially pushing rugby to the 4th ranked football code in Oz) and the game is as healthy as ever - That will be news to the grassroots players, as well as the average supporter.
4) We are the number three side in the world and we can be number one - Ok, but you need to talk to your coach, who in September said we will always struggle to beat the Darkness.

Some of you will say that I am being silly and stupid getting my knickers in a twist on Pulvers first day. Maybe you are right.

But after defending all questions with a straight bat (which is to be accepted as a first day script) he then completely blew me away by saying that rugby in this country is going very well and the coach can stay until end 2013, on his first day!

Based on what research? Based on what conversations with the "constituents" he seems to prize so highly? Based on what data? That really put me on the back foot and makes me think that the new CEO doesn't want to offend his mates in the back room.

Happy to accept the jeers and snorts of derision from my fellow GAGR's.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As others have said, the comments about Deans being locked in until the end of 2013 are a non-event. Of course he's going to say that. If he said that Deans' position would be reviewed after the Lions Tour then we would be stuck with six months of rumours about Deans being sacked. It would be a massive distraction from more important things for no good reason.

I don't think the A-League is a threat. I know plenty of rugby fans and plenty of A-League fans and none of them have any interest in the other. I really think the two audiences are mutually exclusive. Outside of watching a couple of internationals on TV every year or two of the other sport, I don't think the two leagues compete for viewers/attendees.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Don't hold your breath. I like the idea though. A true measure of any rugby man is how they handle the world famous emu burger. It's taken me ten years but I can now devour one without the gravy reaching both of my elbows.

No problem at all

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But after defending all questions with a straight bat (which is to be accepted as a first day script) he then completely blew me away by saying that rugby in this country is going very well and the coach can stay until end 2013, on his first day!

Based on what research? Based on what conversations with the "constituents" he seems to prize so highly? Based on what data?

Well on Deans that would be based on the fact that he has a contract locking him in until the end of 2013.

And on the health of the game I imagine that would be based on the best-ever participation numbers posted in 2012, and discussed on another thread. You may not agree with the assertion the game is in good health (for what it's worth I think it is going OK, certainly not as badly as some here will have you believe), but there are figures out there that say that it is.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Checkout his forehead.It's Botox Bill
And the same barber as JON.
My wife thought he looked like Humpty Dumpty from the Puss in Boots movie
The-egg-humpty-dumpty-31115392-332-363.jpg

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I don't think the A-League is a threat.
I do.

Fans that you talk to will largely be the finished article, whereas the real competition for viewers/attendees is amongst the next generation. I don't think Rugby is doing as well as it could be in this area. The A-League is growing well.

D

daz

As others have said, the comments about Deans being locked in until the end of 2013 are a non-event. Of course he's going to say that. If he said that Deans' position would be reviewed after the Lions Tour then we would be stuck with six months of rumours about Deans being sacked. It would be a massive distraction from more important things for no good reason.

Perhaps. But how does Pulver know what is going to happen in 6-12 months from now? He has just painted himself into a corner if he changes his mind in 6 months. My point was that such effusive praise for the coach on day one was a bit OTT.

Besides, a contract is worth very little. Coaches get sacked all the time and board support also counts for very little. This has been proven so many times it is almost a law of nature.

I don't think the A-League is a threat. I know plenty of rugby fans and plenty of A-League fans and none of them have any interest in the other. I really think the two audiences are mutually exclusive. Outside of watching a couple of internationals on TV every year or two of the other sport, I don't think the two leagues compete for viewers/attendees.

BH, that is not what I am talking about. If soccer rises above rugby in rankings, it is due to participation and tv viewers/crowds. I agree codes can co-exist (hell, I watch the socceroos when I can) but there is only finite cash in the average family. Where do they choose to spend it? At a soccer game or a rugby game?

If rugby is perceived to be boring, kids will not be encouraged to play it or watch it. I found Mr Pulvers comment about the entertainment of rugby to be particularly interesting; he thinks rugby is a very entertaining sport right now - He noted the try by KB (Kurtley Beale) against Wales as a bit of magical tv. Yes, it was. And if scoring a try is magical tv, it was also one of only a handful bits of magical tv for the whole fucking season!

The interview answers were a pep talk. All positive and hunky dory. That is not the case and I would have liked some recognition of that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
kiap - Good point.

I think the next generation of fans are largely led by their parents sporting interests. I would say the most important thing is to re-engage with rugby fans who are either disgruntled or have stopped watching and try to get them back on board.

Trying to make sure those people watch the rugby, take their kids to it and encourage their kids to play rugby rather than a different sport or nothing at all is crucial.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I do.

Fans that you talk to will largely be the finished article, whereas the real competition for viewers/attendees is amongst the next generation. I don't think Rugby is doing as well as it could be in this area. The A-League is growing well.

Who we are competing against is largely irrelevant though. Doesn't matter if it's AFL, League, Soccer or Ballroom dancing. We need to get our shit together at the grassroots, especially in Western Sydney.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Perhaps. But how does Pulver know what is going to happen in 6-12 months from now? He has just painted himself into a corner if he changes his mind in 6 months. My point was that such effusive praise for the coach on day one was a bit OTT.

Besides, a contract is worth very little. Coaches get sacked all the time and board support also counts for very little. This has been proven so many times it is almost a law of nature.

I agree with you. I think Pulver's comments just put the issue to rest for now which is a good move.

It is in no-ones interest if half the rugby press leading up to the Lions Tour is related to pressure on Deans and his position as coach. In the same way that all the Quade Cooper saga was a distraction from the Rugby Championship and the End of Year Tour, there is only going to be a finite amount of press about rugby. The ARU needs to do their best to ensure that as much of it as possible relates to the team and the series ahead.

If after the Lions series, the ARU decides that sacking Deans is the best move then Pulver's comments now will be irrelevant. Realistically for Deans to be sacked we'd need to lose the Lions series 3-0. If that happens, there won't be anyone getting upset about earlier comments saying his job was safe. There will be cheering from everywhere that Deans is gone.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
the A league is a summer sport
That's why we need to make 7s a summer sport and get it on TV. I watch the occasional A-League game when the BBL is boring me, but if there was 7s rugby up against the A-League I woukd hazard a slightly biased guess that League followers and Rugby followers would watch it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
And on the health of the game I imagine that would be based on the best-ever participation numbers posted in 2012, and discussed on another thread. You may not agree with the assertion the game is in good health (for what it's worth I think it is going OK, certainly not as badly as some here will have you believe), but there are figures out there that say that it is.
And in that thread there were numerous accounts of the creativel accounting used to support the fallacy of a strong grassroots .
Schoolboys who played both School & Village were double counted.Anyone who participated in ARU one day events were also counted.
The problem for me is if the CEO is asserting all is good, then there is no driver for change/improvement.
But hey, he has not even had his first day on the job yet.
In any event, he will hit his KPI's.
It's the board who appointed him, and it is they that will set his KPI's, so if there is a problem it is with them, not him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jeez you lot are a bloody tough crowd to please.

A man with noted business experience and passion for the game takes over and almost everyone has a whinge.

Certain arguments have some validity but hiring some outside guy who is not connected to the inner circle is nothing short of laughable. The concept of being connected is sort of important to influence things. Just a little you know.

Of course he will back Deans. What do people expect him to do in his first press conference? Fire Deans, tell Randwick and Uni to go get fucked and announced ten new ARU funded club in Westert Sydney?

Seriously. Give the guy a season. He's relatively young and new blood. That has to be good.

No CEO who is worth his salt will come into a new organisation and announce his intentions on day one. He would be a dead duck before the first board meeting.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Pardon my french but what utter bullshit. He has committed himself to nothing but saying that he is honouring a contract.

What did you honestly in a sane world expect him to do and he is not even officially in the job yet?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I feel better reading today that Deans will have to reapply for his position and it won't be a case of his contract just being extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.