• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I argued above that we should try to find the new CEO from within our own ranks.

The sort of person I would be looking for would have had demonstrated business success; be a top flight negotiator; and have a love for and commitment to grass roots rugby. Ideally in my view he/she would also be someone prepared to shake the tree, given that I believe our sport has really lost its way.

Let me throw a name into the ring. Alan Williamson was until quite recently CEO of the Bruck Textile Group. The company is the main employer in the city of Wangaratta and virtually the only significant Australian survivor in textile manufacturing. Under Alan's leadership it grew from producing very low-tech bottom-end fabrics to being Australia's leading innovator in textile technology. It is a major supplier to industrial, corporate and automotive industries, as well as ballistic and fragmentation protecting fabric for the military and security services, and flame retardant fabric for fire fighting. With Bruck Alan Williamson had a well deserved reputation for being a tough and effective negotiator with government bodies for his company and for the people of Wangaratta.

He served as Director and President of Eastern Suburbs for a number of years, and on the Board of NSWRU between 2006-2008. For the past three or four years he has attended virtually every Colts game - Thirds to Firsts - that Sydney Uni has played and is very heavily involved as a mentor to the Club's young players and coaches.

A proud Scouser, he is anything but a member of the leather patch brigade. If Australian rugby needs to get back to its roots and forge a new direction, Alan Williamson would be an ideal agent of change.

There would be some very nervous people amongst the ranks Bruce if Alan was a contender. He ruffled his fair share of feathers in all of his above-mentioned tenures.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
What about the Balmain bloke warren Livingstone? Business background, love of rugby and a visionary to boot.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Anybody who has any suggestions, should contact Russell Reynolds, the firm that I understand is undertaking the search.

Ask to speak to the partner who is handling the search for the ARU position. You will be put through either to his PA, or to a research person. Tell them what you think.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The "old boy" thing is a red herring.

Who we must have as CEO and MD is someone who has transformed a large commercial sporting operation in a fully professional and competitive marketplace.

Who we don't need is another passionate aussie rugby soul (player/coach/grandee) who's also successful in some other industry, to come and learn on the job at the ARU. We have a whole board and chairman who are these men.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I like the idea of Allan Williamson, he'd certainly shake things up and in the limited dealings that I had with him I formed the view that he genuinely had the interests of the game at heart. Not frightened of treading on toes either and I think that there are a few toes that need to be stepped on.

There was also an earlier comment about people bagging private schools. The private schools in Sydney and Brisbane in particular should be commended for the money and resources that they put into developing rugby.

The scandal is that the NSWRU have pretty much taken the attitude that the schools will do most of the development, so little development of expansion has occurred for decades. In fact when you consider that the population of Sydney has just about doubled in the last 30 years, rugby remains entrenched in the north and east but poorly represented outside those areas. It's not the job of the private school system to expand the game, it's the job of the governing body. In the case of the NSWRU, it's a job at which they have been spectacularly unsuccessful.

In the case of the ARU and the Aust Rugby Champ, a noble idea, poorly executed. The Western Sydney team at Parramatta - good so far, but the Northern Sydney team playing at Gosford??? I couldn't imagine many Manly, Warringah, Gordon or Norths supporters making that trip and the Southern Sydney team playing at North Sydney Oval - clearly the organisers weren't that good at Geography. I couldn't imagine many Souths, Randwick or Easts supporters making that trip either.

These are but 2 examples of poor administration.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Following along the lines of the Peter Cosgrove "nomination", ADF people spend their career rotating all around Australia, with the Army and Air Force types spending plenty of time in Canberra close to the seat of government as well as some fairly dispersed locations around the country.

Being a Commonwealth body, the ADF don't get much time to get tainted with the usual interstate politics that many on here claim are holding ARU back.

Rugby is a game that most units in the ADF play to some degree or other.

Despite the political neutrality demanded of the ADF, Senior Officers are well aware of how the wheels of government operate and are very adept in manouvering within the political process.

By and large they are very skilled in leadership, strategic planning, communication skills, personnel management and achieving objectives as part of a team.

Perhaps we should be looking for a recently retired* or about to retire ADF Officer (other than Cossie).

* Senior ADF Officers tend to "retire" anytime from 20 - 30 years service onwards (40-50 years old).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A recently retired ADF officer? No thanks.

Frankly I find the last few pages a bit bizarre. Plenty of names being thrown around but in reality we have absolutely no knowledge of the recruitment, application or interview process. So speculating about x or y is wasting space IMO. We don't even know if these people even want the job- at least on rugby selection threads you at least know everyone wants to play for the team if picked.

We'd be far better off talking about the type of CEO we want. I am with Gagger here- experience in professional sport is a must. I don't think the candidate needs to be from within rugby necessarily. It's about someone with the acumen and vision to take the game where it needs to go, while having the base of experience and understanding of multi-level pro sport. These things can only really be known by those in the interview room, so I think speculating is kind of pointless.

That's not to say wild speculation shouldn't occur. This is the internet after all.......

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are many on these threads who have ZERO experience of refereeing or team selecting, however to say that the teams proposed, or comment on referee interpretation of the laws is wild speculation or pointless is a rather long bow.

Many on these threads have experience on one or other side of the executive recruitment process.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
In rugby-based discussion the evidence is there for all to see- on the field. Everyone sees the same footage, and the discussion occurs on that basis. In refereeing disputes their is often an objective right and wrong, you can use facts and laws to support your argument. Team selections are a bit more subjective but you can still have an evidence-based discussion comparing like with like.

But in ARU executive recruitment, no-one knows what the ARU are looking for, or where they are looking. They don't know the candidates, their vision or their aspirations. To use your analogy we don't even know what GAME is being played, let alone any rules or interpretations.

Look I am not trying to shut down debate on the subject, throw all the names around that you want. I just think it is more pointless than most discussions that involve wild speculation (which is most).

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
In rugby-based discussion the evidence is there for all to see- on the field. Everyone sees the same footage, and the discussion occurs on that basis. In refereeing disputes their is often an objective right and wrong, you can use facts and laws to support your argument. Team selections are a bit more subjective but you can still have an evidence-based discussion comparing like with like.

But in ARU executive recruitment, no-one knows what the ARU are looking for, or where they are looking. They don't know the candidates, their vision or their aspirations. To use your analogy we don't even know what GAME is being played, let alone any rules or interpretations.

Look I am not trying to shut down debate on the subject, throw all the names around that you want. I just think it is more pointless than most discussions that involve wild speculation (which is most).
I might be a bit thick, barbarian, but I thought the thread title was: "Who should be the next ARU CEO?" Unless the title changed somewhere along the way in the 75 posts thus far, I don't think participation in the thread should be restricted along Burkean lines to only those who know "what the ARU are looking for" in their new CEO or "where they are looking."

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Has anyone been watching the weekly half hour show on Foxtel that features the Reds? They look to have become a very smart organisation. Maybe Carmichael could transfer those skills from the Super stage to national level?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I might be a bit thick, barbarian, but I thought the thread title was: "Who should be the next ARU CEO?" Unless the title changed somewhere along the way in the 75 posts thus far, I don't think participation in the thread should be restricted along Burkean lines to only those who know "what the ARU are looking for" in their new CEO or "where they are looking."

Where did I say it should be restricted?

You can speculate all you like. Just was pointing out that I am taking it all with a large grain of salt.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Where did I say it should be restricted?

You can speculate all you like. Just was pointing out that I am taking it all with a large grain of salt.

It doesnt need salt unless you think the ARU Board would actually pay attention to what is said by largely anonymous posters.
Speaking for myself if i were actually involved in the process of selecting the new CEO my thinking about the process would be completely different - just as if i was coaching the wobblies or the tahs i wouldnt coach them the way i talk about them on here!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Has anyone been watching the weekly half hour show on Foxtel that features the Reds? They look to have become a very smart organisation. Maybe Carmichael could transfer those skills from the Super stage to national level?

Hands off! Find your own AFL guy.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.