• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
It doesnt need salt unless you think the ARU Board would actually pay attention to what is said by largely anonymous posters.
What? I though every one of my posts when straight into a company wide ARU inbox. I feel so cheated. Now I know why JON never called. I thought he was just busy with ECHO.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
In rugby-based discussion the evidence is there for all to see- on the field. Everyone sees the same footage, and the discussion occurs on that basis. In refereeing disputes their is often an objective right and wrong, you can use facts and laws to support your argument. Team selections are a bit more subjective but you can still have an evidence-based discussion comparing like with like.

But in ARU executive recruitment, no-one knows what the ARU are looking for, or where they are looking. They don't know the candidates, their vision or their aspirations. To use your analogy we don't even know what GAME is being played, let alone any rules or interpretations.

Look I am not trying to shut down debate on the subject, throw all the names around that you want. I just think it is more pointless than most discussions that involve wild speculation (which is most).

Sorry Barb, I have to disagree, strongly.

This is a discussion, just like I would have down the pub with my mates (if I actually went to the pub and if I actually had mates :().

Just because it bears no resemblence to the actual recruitment process, that doesn't mean it is not worthy of debate. Can you imagine the boasting rights if somebody picks a winner?

In the 80 odd posts so far there has been virtually no parochialism, very little nastiness and a large amount of interesting perspective.

Isn't that what GAGR is about?

I for one am thoroughly enjoying this thread, and whilst I understand that it will have absolutely no bearing on the outcome of our next CEO, it is fun to speculate.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Is there a time frame on when they will be announced? I'd imagine sooner rather than later.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There is no way in my mind that we need someone who is 'passionate' about rugby. It has nothing to do with it. Jim Carmichael is a perfect example of that. You need someone who has done something in sport before and a mind that has also been successful in business in the present or the past. Its not an easy job and one I hope they don't rush into. But for Christ's sake lets not go with the old he/she loves rugby so that one of the main reasons we chose them. I want to hear they are driven to develop this great game further in the every state of this great nation!

T

TOCC

Pat Howard doesn't have the qualifications to run the ARU, his highest achievements so far have been team manager at the Wallabies and the past 12months with Cricket Australia..
He also had a rather poor reputation with the players during his time at the ARU..

Maybe after he gets some more experience at a management/director level he might be suitable.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Speaking of Cricket, what about the NZ bloke who delivered the RWC2011 - Martin Snedden (Ex NZ cricketer and CEO RWC Committee).

Who were the main players that delivered the Sydney 2000 Olympics - Michael Knight, Sandy ?.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Pat Howard doesn't have the qualifications to run the ARU, his highest achievements so far have been team manager at the Wallabies and the past 12months with Cricket Australia..
He also had a rather poor reputation with the players during his time at the ARU..

Maybe after he gets some more experience at a management/director level he might be suitable.
He was the COO at a Brisbane based, ASX listed company prior to the CA gig, so is no stranger to the Corporate world.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Speaking of Cricket, what about the NZ bloke who delivered the RWC2011 - Martin Snedden (Ex NZ cricketer and CEO RWC Committee).

Who were the main players that delivered the Sydney 2000 Olympics - Michael Knight, Sandy ?.

spectator - that kind of explains the extent to which he was on top of the detail: very impressive.
Snedden could be a good option: again I am going on hearing or seeing (cant remember which) but he seemed to have excellent insight and some personality, which, given what we all want from the ARU, may be the secret ingredient in getting the states inside the tent.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member

I was lucky enough to meet Main a few times when working on RWC, he's a nice guy and would do a good job.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Snedden. He's a Kiwi. What the hell do they know about rugby?

Look at the outrage and conspiracy theories that popped up when we picked up a Kiwi coach. We'd never hear the end of it if we had a Kiwi CEO as well.

Frankly I don't care what their nationality is.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Snedden. He's a Kiwi. What the hell do they know about rugby?

Look at the outrage and conspiracy theories that popped up when we picked up a Kiwi coach. We'd never hear the end of it if we had a Kiwi CEO as well.

Frankly I don't care what their nationality is.
Up until the last line i thought you had a good point - bloody short memory I have
:cool:

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
From Brett Harris (Australian) November 12 2012
Meanwhile, Hawker was still hopeful of appointing a new ARU chief executive before the end of the year.
"It's marching along," he said. "We are still very keen to have someone announced before the end of the year.
"Whether they can start immediately becomes a different issue because many of them (candidates) are in current roles."
The ARU has engaged a head-hunting firm to conduct an international search for John O'Neill's successor.
"More likely to be an internal appointment within (Australian) rugby or someone who has had international, business experience.
"Most probably an Australian, but who may have been living overseas for a long period of time."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...5-stars-workload/story-e6frg7o6-1226514722280

Interesting run down on the candidates' backgrounds.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
In light of recent events surrounding the controversy of the QC (Quade Cooper)/ARU negotiations, it is David Nucifora who is the ARU spokesman (while in Europe) and who has made a belated announcement re their position.

With the perceived problems facing the ARU, including the dilemma of what to do with Robbie Dean's future as coach, who of quality would want to take up the poisoned chalice that is ARU.

I believe that David Nucifora will probably be appointed because of that.

If this comes to pass, then they will only be digging a deeper hole for themselves in my opinion.
He is a poor coach (does not obtain player's respect an dismal U20 JWRC performance), has poor public relations, and has no real experience at international business, especially at this higher level.

Status
Not open for further replies.