• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don't let your rugby bias cloud your judgement. There are good sports admin people out these that don't play rugby, you know.

He resigned, apparantly due to the fact that he was over-looked to take the top job when AD leaves. He is hardly a reject. He will, in fact, become a hot auction item in Oz sports admin now that he is available.

He is also the top 3 guy in the highest profile, highest TV, highest crowd, etc, etc sport in Oz.

Can I suggest he might be worth looking at, at the very least!

The title of the article involves "It;s time fr me to do something different" and in the article mentions that he has received interest from other sports. Could he be hinting at an imminent announcement as the new head honcho of the ARU? Probably not. But its nice to dream isn't it.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
All I know is he [Adrian Andderson] was overlooked.
I know nothing more of the guy and I fully agree he should be looked at.
i actually think we'd be better off with a CEO from outside the rugby world
I asked my AFL mates to give me a run down on the situation. Anderson was appointed as Football Operations Manger by Demetriou in 2003. Recently the NRL tried to poach the AFL's COO, Gillon McLachlan. He turned the role down and stayed with the AFL, it was rumoured that he stayed because he was "promised" the CEO role when Demetriou eventually steps down. Anderson has left the AFL to pursue other interests because McLachlan will get the role he wants.

How much this reflects reality, I have no idea.

Overall he wasn't an overly popular guy amongst fans, but that was mainly because he had a tough role and had to make unpopular decisions.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/nin...eer-with-the-afl/story-e6frf33l-1226530701455

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
It may result in greater powere being given to medical staff when it comes to desicion making. Anderson was very willing to be guided by the afl medical officers officers association (sometimes too much). This might help with the reinjuries seen in the wallaby set up.

As Anderson was heavily involved in the AFL expansion he would be pwefectly placed to lead the generation of true third tier.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Every bloke who has watched a game of AFL and has a masters degree has been linked to North Melbourne recently! :D

I understand you might see it as a backward step, but I don't think it would be the worst move he could make; National AFL Operations Manager AND Club CEO looks a hell of a lot better (and more rounded) on a sports admin CV.
Watching AFL + a masters = that's someone who perseveres!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is that the same as when you move house and you always start out hoping you'll be in by Christmas but actually end up moving mid to late January?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Extract from an article in the Courier Mail by Jamie Pandarim this morning - the main story line was about David Nuifora's resignation (push).

"Meanwhile, the ARU's search for a new chief executive will carry In to the new year. Hawker had planned to make an announcement before Christmas but it's understood the board wants more time to consider the candidates.
Carroll is understood to be in the running alongside local figures Jim Carmichael of Queensland and Andrew Fagan of ACT, as well as international names".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/david-nucifora-leaves-his-role-at-the-australian-rugby-union/story-fn8t7efs-1226541413836

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Extract from an article in the Courier Mail by Jamie Pandarim this morning - the main story line was about David Nuifora's resignation (push).

"Meanwhile, the ARU's search for a new chief executive will carry In to the new year. Hawker had planned to make an announcement before Christmas but it's understood the board wants more time to consider the candidates.
Carroll is understood to be in the running alongside local figures Jim Carmichael of Queensland and Andrew Fagan of ACT, as well as international names".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/david-nucifora-leaves-his-role-at-the-australian-rugby-union/story-fn8t7efs-1226541413836

Another one bites the dust.

When O'Neill returned to the chief role in 2007 he appointed Nucifora to the high performance job, to oversee plans for the improvement of skills and quality at the top level, alignment between national and state programs and the development of young talent.

Hmmm, not a lot of success in there; JWC 2012, Wallabies skill level, separate National Academy

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Another one bites the dust.

When O'Neill returned to the chief role in 2007 he appointed Nucifora to the high performance job, to oversee plans for the improvement of skills and quality at the top level, alignment between national and state programs and the development of young talent watch his back.

Hmmm, not a lot of success in there; JWC 2012, Wallabies skill level, separate National Academy

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Coincidentally, just the day that Gagger lands in Oz. We knew it all along. We're taking applications now for the selection panel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The Roar is saying it will be Bill Calcraft....

Jobs for mates....
'Jobs for mates' is bad if that is the only reason the person gets a job. If they are well qualified what better way to know how well they will perform if you know them already?

T

TOCC

'Jobs for mates' is bad if that is the only reason the person gets a job. If they are well qualified what better way to know how well they will perform if you know them already?

Because the fact he is a 'mate' will often cause flaws to be glossed over.. Worse still it also places the new person in the precarious position of providing oversight of mates and former teammates/colleagues, where the organizations best interests may not be the same as the 'friendship'..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have no issues with the fact that the new CEO will be a former rugby player who has since had plenty of experience in business. 53 seems the right sort of age as well. Still young enough to be interested but plenty of age and experience behind them.

My biggest issue with Calcraft is that he's been living in the UK for a long time from what I can tell. Surely knowledge and understanding of the Australian sporting landscape is crucial. Whilst he will obviously know plenty about it, he would certainly be out of the loop compared to someone who had been living and working in Australia for most of the last twenty years.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Same old ARU. Will promote more doubt in their ability to implement recommendations from the Arbib Report.

Status
Not open for further replies.