• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who to support now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Then there were four.

Fortunately for the majority of the posters on this site, the Wallabies are still (very lucky to be) in contention for Bill. So allegiances for most don't have to be re-drawn just yet.

But for the NH supporters who do their allegiances switch to now?

To get the ball rolling, if the Wallabies don't make it through the semis I know I'll be an honorary Argentinian for a week - it'd be amazing to see Los Pumas win the cup.

PS: On a side note, commiserations to all the NH supporters. It's been an incredible RWC so far with some very gallant performances from your respective teams (a special honourable mention to Scotland). You've also all been extremely gracious in defeat despite some interesting calls.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I suspect Argentina will be the popular choice among the NH fans from here.

We could well see a repeat of 2011 where the All Blacks play a rematch against the team they beat in the pools.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If the Wallabies get knocked out next week (reasonably good chance) I will be backing the Argies for many reasons that I will list for you now:

1. They will be the underdogs;
  2. They aren't NZ;
  3. They have never won the RWC before;
  4. They aren't South Africa;
  5. If my team gets beaten, I always want it to be by the eventual tournament winner;
  6. They aren't NZ;
  7. I love their passion;
  8. They aren't South Africa;
  9. The home crowd will be cheering for them and I always enjoy games more when the crowd is with my team (atmosphere etc.)
  10. They aren't NZ;
  11. It will be great for the ARG team entry into the Super Rugby and interest in Super Rugby in general;
  12. They aren't South Africa;
  13. They are playing some beautiful Rugby right now;
  14. They aren't NZ;
  15. Their blue and white stripes just look nice; and finally.....
  16. They aren't South Africa.
Go Wallabies!!!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I know it's a bit of a threadjack, but I don't think there's a 'good chance' the Wallabies will get knocked out next week, although of course there's a chance. We should be quite strong favourites. There's a bit of unnnecessary hand-wringing at the moment.

But if we do lose, then I'll be getting behind the Argies.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
I have been thinking that there is a compelling case for the British and Irish teams to support Australia:

• We are basically a home nation being a former colony
  • The British have never been at war with us
  • We are the underdogs compared to NZ
  • We have some pretty snazzy uniforms
  • At least they lost to the eventual champs
  • Cheika
Also as an aside - If Pr. Harry supports England and Pr William supports Wales, can we have Kate on our side? She is good looking enough to be Australian.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I know it's a bit of a threadjack, but I don't think there's a 'good chance' the Wallabies will get knocked out next week, although of course there's a chance. We should be quite strong favourites. There's a bit of unnnecessary hand-wringing at the moment.

But if we do lose, then I'll be getting behind the Argies.

My words were chosen not on the basis that we just scraped through against Scotland but more because of how well Argentina are travelling. They have the type of game that could rattle us. With the injuries we have at present I think we should still be favourites but not by much.
A 'good' chance we'll get beaten? Maybe not but the game will be closer than I feel comfortable with.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
My words were chosen not on the basis that we just scraped through against Scotland but more because of how well Argentina are travelling. They have the type of game that could rattle us. With the injuries we have at present I think we should still be favourites but not by much.
A 'good' chance we'll get beaten? Maybe not but the game will be closer than I feel comfortable with.

Indeed. Arg are currently paying $3.40 on Bet365. That cannae be right. If I didn't have an aversion to betting against the Wallabies then I'd have some of that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah I do that most important games. Generally the size of the bet is how much I'm invested in the game as it's how much I'm willing to lose for a Wallaby win. I'll be putting a lot on the Pumas this weekend.

The flipside of that is that when I'm this emotionally invested, I may as well double down.

I'll be on the Wallabies this weekend because if we don't win, losing the bet will be the least of my concerns.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'll support anyone but the Boks or Wallabies....

How about an ANZAC pact, if the ABs and Wallabies lose their respective semis, they don't bother turning up for the 3v4 game. I know I won't be waking up to watch it live, which will break my 16 year streak of watching every AB test live.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'll support anyone but the Boks or Wallabies..

How about an ANZAC pact, if the ABs and Wallabies lose their respective semis, they don't bother turning up for the 3v4 game. I know I won't be waking up to watch it live, which will break my 16 year streak of watching every AB test live.

Nah. In that case, definitely put the Bledisloe on the line. Would give the game some real meaning.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
How about an ANZAC pact

A scrum pact? Where the backs just chill while the piggies have an 80m scrum fest! If one team wins the scrum the 8 has to run it until brought to ground at which time the 9 is obliged to knock it on resulting in a new scrum -rinse and repeat

Edit: And if a scrum penalty is obtained, the captain is obliged to call for a scrum

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll support anyone but the Boks or Wallabies..

I will be going for either the Wallabies or Los Pumas in the final. Thank god it can't be an NZ v RSA final. If it were either RSA or NZ in a final against ENG then I'd cheer for them no question but anyone else against them and I'll go for the anyone else.

So in summary:
Can't support England. Ever.
Can only support New Zealand or South Africa vs England.
Will always support Wallabies if they are playing.
Can support any other nation if the above criteria don't apply.

In the even that South Africa are playing New Zealand and the result doesn't matter to the Wallabies (ie The Rugby Championship standings etc) then my support will vary between the two. If it were right now, I think I'd lean towards South Africa. My reasons for this are likely quite petty.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Will support any other team vs the Wallabies and Boks
The Wallabies vs Boks tests is always a tough one. I usually cheer for a draw :)

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
All Blacks-Wallabies final: Would support the All Blacks
Argentina-All Blacks final: Argentina

Only reason I wouldn't support the All Blacks is because of supporting some underdogs that I want to win precisely because they're underdogs. All Blacks by default vs. England and Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.