• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who will emerge in 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
In 2011 we saw the likes of Tapuai, Vaea, Cruden, Dagg and Lambie, take their games to a new level and announce themselves as players of the future. Who else fits into the category?

Who does everyone think will be the emerging stars in 2012? I'll kick it off with the Reds and suggest that Gill and Schatz might be two to take the step up.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Shatz sure looked the part the bit I saw him last year.

Saffers I look forward to seeing:

Johan Goosen, Cheetahs 10. Kicks like a mule. Likes to take the ball to the line and seems to not mind tackling. Looks like he has rugby in his blood.

Johan Sadie - Bulls. Plays 13 or wing. Didn't get much chance at the Stormers last year. Hell of a player. Paarl is spitting mad they let him go. :) Mwuahahahahaha :)

Eben Etzebeth. 21 year old lock at the Stormers. 2.03 m. Won't get much time behind Bekker but damn to be this kid looks the goods. We sure need a few locks to step up.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Luke Braid stepped up a bit last year, but I think he'll hit the next level next year.

Cruden, I thought did OK last year, but didn't emerge as such... I think he'll really emerge this year.

T

Tank

Blue, would you put Elton Jantjies in an emerged or possibly emerging? Saw only a little bit of him but liked what I saw - would like to see more this year.

Whilst I am dishing out a a bit of Saffa love, can I say that I wish Aus had Lambie - that kid will be a Superstar and will never talk about or actually go to League...

In Aus, Toua at the Reds, Kingston at the Tahs and maybe Coleman at the Brums - can see the guys stepping it up this year given some chances.

In NZ - I want to see (or converseley want to see fail :) ) some new halves - so Kerr-Barlow, Barrett and Bleyendaal. Who will be next NZ long term 9 and 10.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lord Lucan?

Maaaaybe Foley at the Tahs. Don't worry, already got a name for him if he's a bit of a Dud Roodt: Foltey.

Ben Lucas maybe. Tapuai will have to cure HIV (although I hear they've already done this for one guy?) to meet the lofty expectations being set, although even if he doesn't achieve these heights I think he'll be a bit of a hit.

James O'Connor as an inside back.

James Stannard.

Dear God I hope Potplant does at the Brumbies, Leiliafano too.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Whilst I am dishing out a a bit of Saffa love, can I say that I wish Aus had Lambie - that kid will be a Superstar and will never talk about or actually go to League...

The danger from the Saffas perspective is if he catches R. Pienaar / F. Steyn Disease - shifting around the backline, experience a drop in form, stagnate in their development, and then fuck off to Europe.

T

Tank

Cruden, I thought did OK last year, but didn't emerge as such... I think he'll really emerge this year.

Sorry MR, I reckon Cruden has already emerged (in this definition anyway!)

I also think he may miss his boat for the next long term spot - he and Slade and perhaps Weepu will tangle each other for a year or two whilst Carter is still sublime - in those few years, I think one of the youngsters may step up and be the Carter permanent replacement. Beauden Barrett is my long range pick - looks awesome in ITM - but also Tyler Bleyandaal, Lima Sopoaga and Gareth Anscombe might kick on.

A

Army_Gav

As DPK eluded too, JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. Also Luke Jones either at Lock or Blindside.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry MR, I reckon Cruden has already emerged (in this definition anyway!).

yeah, you may be right - I think I rate him perhaps a bit higher than he deserves. I've been down this path many times before! Last notable being Francois Steyn where I said he would be a multiple IRB POTY winner after seeing him in 2006, I think.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
from what little bits I have seen hime play, I'm a big fan of Tom Kingston and Im hoping he'll establish himself as a player of the future in 2012

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lord Lucan?

Maaaaybe Foley at the Tahs. Don't worry, already got a name for him if he's a bit of a Dud Roodt: Foltey.

Dear God I hope Potplant does at the Brumbies, Leiliafano too.

I hope Palmer comes on too!!! I long to have a THP in Australian colours that can monster an international scrum. But I fear, even with Jake White, he's at the wrong franchise for proper THP development. He needs to be competing in contested scrums against Ben Robinson every week to bring him along, and a real forwards coach like Foley to guide him to performing around the park.

At the Tahs I think Foley and Timani the elder could have breakthrough years, I think Peterson might be a 2013 project. And I hope for the team's sake that Alcock or McCutcheon make major advances in the new season.

At the Reds I suspect that Shipperly might have locked up a wing by the end of the season and I really, really hope Daley can learn how to scrum in the off season. He has got such great skills around the park.

At the Force I suspect that Longbottom might be a star this year and also Wykes. One of their hookers might step up too. If all three happen they will have a titanic pack. Can't see much in the backs that excites me yet, though their young scrummie Turner linked with Stannard could be interesting.

At the Rebels I'm pinning my hopes on Saffy to do more than just defend. If he develops he could be the next Rocky.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Aaron Cruden, Robbie Fruean, Rene Ranger
Liam Gill, Dave Dennis, Ben Tapuai
Elton Jantjies, Patrick Lambie, Juan de Jongh

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Saffers I look forward to seeing:

Johan Goosen, Cheetahs 10. Kicks like a mule. Likes to take the ball to the line and seems to not mind tackling. Looks like he has rugby in his blood.

Johan Sadie - Bulls. Plays 13 or wing. Didn't get much chance at the Stormers last year. Hell of a player. Paarl is spitting mad they let him go. :) Mwuahahahahaha :)

Looking forward to seeing Sadie, but every time I hear of a new sensation at center it just gets me thinking of Clyde Rathbone. He was the next big thing at center in SA, yet when he went to Australia his lack of skill for the position became more obvious, and he played wing from then on. Sadie sure can run, but can he create, can he spot space for his team mates not just himself, can he offload at the right times? It highlights for me how the culture in SA continues to produce rather mediocre backs. They have all the physical attributes, but the mental part is lacking. So...

Dear Australia,

You want to beat the Kiwis as much as we do right? I propose an exchange program. At a certain age (say 14), we send you a bunch of backs, and you send us a bunch of forwards, and each country grooms them. We then swap back (at say 20ish) and share the top 2 rankings henceforth.

Regards,
Mank

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Shatzie will be a big improver for mine.
Sias Ebersohn (is he the center?)
Hugh Pyle
Dan Coles, now that Hore is gone he will start for the Canes

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Stannard for sure. He produced some great games towards the end of last year. So it will be interesting to see what he can do with more game time under his belt.

He could be a real bolter for the lions tour.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Stannard was terrific at flyhalf at the end of last season but he is not as good a scrum half. Nic White was ahead of him at Eastwood in the Shute Shield and deservedly so.

I doubt if he could be a bolter to play against the Lionsas a flyhalf, though if he gets a few chances for the Force this year and steps up to a higher level still, and there are a few injuries, you never know. His best chance of playing for the Wallabies is as a bench player covering 9 and 10 and for that he will have to improve his scrummie skills.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Looking forward to seeing Sadie, but every time I hear of a new sensation at center it just gets me thinking of Clyde Rathbone. He was the next big thing at center in SA, yet when he went to Australia his lack of skill for the position became more obvious, and he played wing from then on. Sadie sure can run, but can he create, can he spot space for his team mates not just himself, can he offload at the right times? It highlights for me how the culture in SA continues to produce rather mediocre backs. They have all the physical attributes, but the mental part is lacking. So...

Dear Australia,

You want to beat the Kiwis as much as we do right? I propose an exchange program. At a certain age (say 14), we send you a bunch of backs, and you send us a bunch of forwards, and each country grooms them. We then swap back (at say 20ish) and share the top 2 rankings henceforth.

Regards,
Mank

Dear South Africa,

I would like to accept your generous offer. I think the program will be such a success we will call it Super Rug... oh, well scratch that bit.

Great idea, though.

Regards, Jnor.

A

Army_Gav

At the Rebels I'm pinning my hopes on Saffy to do more than just defend. If he develops he could be the next Rocky.
Helps when the team is going forward consistently with phase play also.

Status
Not open for further replies.