• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why do chairs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Have 3 legs?

Surely they'd be less likely to rock than chairs with 4...

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
yay, industrial design question, finally my degree comes in handy

coz they're less likely to rock. like when you're on uneven surfaces, the legs are at an angle as to stop it from rocking.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
just re read that and it was one of my scramble sentences

the angles that the three legs are organised are done so usually in a way so that they are independant of other legs, in a four legged item, such as a standard chari or table, or a flat based chair or table, much of the base is reliant on other parts of the base, think of how you cant keep that finger before your pinky up without the other fingers, thats the case of a four legged or flat based table or chair, when they have three legs, its like three thumbs.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You know, in hospitals, 5 is preferred. Stools / chairs in operating theatres (yes, we sit sometimes to do our thang!!) are inherently unstable on 4 legs / wheels so it is an OH&S requirement that they have 5 so us numpties can't tip ourselves over and sue the ass off the health system.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the actual reason chairs have four legs is simple, when manufacturing one as a carpenter, the back two legs extend up the back to provide the back support, once you have two at the back, you need two at the front to balance, its about using less amounts of wood. then the catch is, that every design since has been based on the early models and therefore follows the form.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
You know, in hospitals, 5 is preferred. Stools / chairs in operating theatres (yes, we sit sometimes to do our thang!!) are inherently unstable on 4 legs / wheels so it is an OH&S requirement that they have 5 so us numpties can't tip ourselves over and sue the ass off the health system.

I thought you just sat on interns? So many more of them, so much less valuable if they break...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought you just sat on interns? So many more of them, so much less valuable if they break...

No, no, interns are used as footstools if you need a better view in the OT!! Unless we have a medical student with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.