• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why is Marto employed as a commentator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
The ideal person, I believe, would be Scott Allen because he has such an incredible understanding of the game and analyses it thoroughly.

Whilst I agree with you surely many other factors come into play. For a commentator I mean.

(absolutely no offense to you scott if you read this)

Would he be able to analyse on the fly? (during the call)

Would his commentary be coherent and concise? (a different skill than sitting down, looking at a game that has been played and working out what you want to say for a webcast)

Would he be entertaining?

I'm sure there are a thousand other 'skills' needed to be a successful commentator.

Many of you (as evidenced by the thread title) seem to think marto does NOT have what is needed, but I always put their shoe on my foot. You know it is easy to sit on the sidelines and carp (not directed at the quoter), we all do it, but honestly who could put their hand up and say they are certain they could do better?

Personally I don't mind him too much, he is there for a purpose (and must fulfill it else he'd be gone?) but as sure as hell I know there is no way I could do a better job.

Half of the problem is that just like scrummaging, one bad scrum (call) and the ref has formed an opinion that might perhaps be unfair. Real or not the ref is now on the lookout for what he himself has decided is an outpoint.

Scrum goes down, then a priori it is 'our front row' if you follow.

Maybe same deal here, one or two calls or habits from marto that someone did not like, the snowball grows and just like a ref the nitpicking and unfair emphasis on a given point starts whilst the bigger picture gets lost???

Sometimes the bandwagon is not a fair place or pleasant reflection on human nature.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Whilst I agree with you surely many other factors come into play. For a commentator I mean.

(absolutely no offense to you scott if you read this)

Would he be able to analyse on the fly? (during the call)

Would his commentary be coherent and concise? (a different skill than sitting down, looking at a game that has been played and working out what you want to say for a webcast)

Would he be entertaining?

I'm sure there are a thousand other 'skills' needed to be a successful commentator.

Many of you (as evidenced by the thread title) seem to think marto does NOT have what is needed, but I always put their shoe on my foot. You know it is easy to sit on the sidelines and carp (not directed at the quoter), we all do it, but honestly who could put their hand up and say they are certain they could do better?
Fair point but I think many are benchmarking him against other rugby commentators when critiquing his prose/style, rather than saying they could do a better job.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree with Spieber, everyone seems to critcise players, coaches refs etc, can you only do that if you can do better???

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I agree it can be tough to 'find the boundaries'. I (it's a habit of mine!) kinda just start a stream of consciousness when I make my point, so maybe drifted off a little.

The MAIN point I wanted to make was that just because someone is very good in one role does not automatically translate to being good in a completely different role. To whit, even tho scott allen DOES do a fantastic job and I love every single one of them it is a completely different thing to being a commentator.

However I do honestly feel we need to be wary of the bandwagon phenomenon, even if only to the extent that most likely the people to speak up are the ones 'with the grudges' so to speak. It can tend to give a slanted view.

Having said that I certainly do not want or have the right to deny people their right to express their opinion, hope it did not come across that way.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
For anyone that thinks that Marto is the worst perhaps listen to Phil Gould on "that other game" and his "expert"commentating. Compared to him I would listen to Greg Martin any day

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
However I do honestly feel we need to be wary of the bandwagon phenomenon, even if only to the extent that most likely the people to speak up are the ones 'with the grudges' so to speak. It can tend to give a slanted view.

Having said that I certainly do not want or have the right to deny people their right to express their opinion, hope it did not come across that way.
Agree - the axe grinders are usually more vocal.
Did not interpret your post as denying any rights - just pointing out different perspectives.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
For anyone that thinks that Marto is the worst perhaps listen to Phil Gould on "that other game" and his "expert"commentating. Compared to him I would listen to Greg Martin any day
Meant rugby union commentators not league, although Warren Smith to my mind is more eloquent, knowledgeable about his sport, and witty than Greg Clark (just put on my flak jacket for incoming :eek: ).

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Marto is biased but I do like him because he is funny. I respect Kafer's opinions a lot more however and it would be good to have him talk more.
The ideal person, I believe, would be Scott Allen because he has such an incredible understanding of the game and analyses it thoroughly.

If you find him funny, I expect that when someone holds up a finger in front of you, it's an entire night out!

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
apropo of nothing: I watched 5 minutes of S.O.O. last night, cos there was a brawl when I was switching channels - someone doing the Mungo commentary decided that since 4 players had been sent off, it was now "Manchester United Versus Liverpool"... (or Chelsea, or... some such nonsense)... ???????

Ray Warren has become something... very, very 'odd' in terms of a commentator over the years, based on the short sample I heard last night.

Its hard to describe how very odd he sounded to someone who has not heard him commentate for over 10 blissful years - perhaps it's less noticeable if you hear him all the time - people overseas must think it very strange...

Disregarding quality, the STYLE of commentary between the Union and League games is surprisingly different, you could be excused for not realising they were both from Australia... The Union commentary, however flawed certainly appears to be a little more literate - (Greg Martin fully excepted).

Manchester United...
Delusions of grandeur in the ARL know no bounds - next thing we know they will be trying to hold a World Cup! !!!!

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Come on, just because you don't find him funny, doesn't mean he isn't.

nahhh... its pretty much a majority position I think you will find....

even for all his repetition, catch-phrases and annoyances, Buddha, (many years ago), was perhaps funny, if only because you sensed he was having such a bloody good time just being at the Rugby...

Martin however, comes over pretty much as a Smug, Self-Absorbed, Opinionated and unreliably-biased pain-in-the-arse...

Sounding like you have had one-too-many, and forgotten leave the Barbeque, rarely makes you sound funny.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I think Warren sounded funny when the Manchester United comment call was made during SOO because Sterlo actually said it ;)

R.I.P

Bob McCowan (2)
It is a thankless job, but it pays very well.
Who listens to the commentry word for word anyway?. The best commentator of all time was former Dual international Rex Mossop. I agree with old mate that it is a shame that Gordon Bray no longer commentates - used to love him on the ABC.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who listens to the commentry word for word anyway?. The best commentator of all time was former Dual international Rex Mossop. I agree with old mate that it is a shame that Gordon Bray no longer commentates - used to love him on the ABC.
Switch from foxsports to channel 10 on the weekend; you'll thank me for it

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Marto on Rugby HQ tonight.

"The Canterbury crowd missed out on the Rugby World Cup Games due to the earthquake. They missed the chance to get stuck in to Quade Cooper. This will be their chance on the weekend to give Quade heaps" or words to the same general effect.

Foolish words from the Clown Prince from the Kingdom of Idiots.

Does Rugby HQ get broadcast outside Australia or are we prevented the national embarrassment of Marto by keeping this show domestic?

Christopher McDonald

Peter Burge (5)
Marto on Rugby HQ tonight.

"The Canterbury crowd missed out on the Rugby World Cup Games due to the earthquake. They missed the chance to get stuck in to Quade Cooper. This will be their chance on the weekend to give Quade heaps" or words to the same general effect.

Foolish words from the Clown Prince from the Kingdom of Idiots.

Does Rugby HQ get broadcast outside Australia or are we prevented the national embarrassment of Marto by keeping this show domestic?

Yes, it is aired in NZ, but only on the Rugby Channel which requires a separate subscription on top of the already pay television here, Sky TV, so I'm not sure how many people have that channel as most of the Rugby matches are able to be viewed with the standard Sports package. I certainly watch it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.