• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wilko to play in the NRC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You'd probably believe Pies Growden about as far as you could throw him.

Having said that, Wilko would be great publicity for the new comp. Short and sweet, only 8 rounds plus finals.

The audacious campaign to lure Jonny Wilkinson out of retirement and play in the upcoming National Rugby Championship (NRC), as reported exclusively in Ruck'n Maul two weeks ago, appears to be gathering momentum. A visit by the England World Cup-winning pivot to Sydney in a few weeks is now anticipated.​
Ruck'nMaul has been told those close to Wilkinson continue to talk about a "huge offer to play park rugby for a couple of months", which involves appearing for one of the New South Wales-based NRC team from late August. This team has the backing of several successful businessmen, including one willing to pay an exorbitant six-figure sum to entice Wilkinson. Let's just say it would be by far the biggest per-match payment any rugby player involved in any Australian game would have ever agreed to. Test players would dream of the money on offer. Hence, according to a well-placed NRC snout, an "under-the-radar visit to Sydney where Jonny and a close colleague will stay with a mate". The "close colleague" is apparently another well-known figure from England's 2003 Rugby World Cup triumph in Australia.​

If this is for real it would be Wozza Livingston of the Sydney Stars, the bloke who brought "The Caveman" to play for Balmain.....

--gal_chabal11_20120225192253162182-600x400.jpg

Sebastien Chabal, the beast of Balmain playing against the Petersham "Shammies" :D

T

Train Without a Station

Would be a great marketing boost for a fledging competition.

T

Train Without a Station

Qwerty, currently they will be lucky to match the attendances they have in each state for Super Rugby, for all that state's NRC teams. A player like Wilko will help maximise the rugby market.

His profile will be a benefit with expats and casual fans that remember the 2003 RWC Final. obviously it's not going to bring in the random punters but unless they give out celebrity spots like early T20, nothing will do that.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I was under the impression there was a $5000 salary limit for the NRC, does the club system allow them to pay him the rest of what much surely be a huge paycheck?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I was under the impression there was a $5000 salary limit for the NRC, does the club system allow them to pay him the rest of what much surely be a huge paycheck?
Yeah, dunno how it works. Do they allow marquee players?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, dunno how it works. Do they allow marquee players?

Not sure, it doesn't seem inline with the stated player development role of the comp but it wouldn't nessacerily be a bad thing, as long as it's well defined in the rules.

Here is were I got the $5000 from: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ale-out-of-reach/story-fnii0ksb-1226910843898

Still on the NRC, the pay schedule also contained in the draft protocols confirms contracted players will get no extra money for NRC duties, and all others can get maximum of $5000. A salary cap is therefore not required. Clubs can pay up to $2000 for relocation costs.

Looks like there is also an extra $2000 for relocation in there aswell, not that it'd make a huge difference to the sort of pay check Wilko would be expecting.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I like the idea of OS stars in the comp - gives it a BBL vibe. Wary that there's only 1 club with the capital to pull it off though. While 1 (old) wilko won't make them world beaters, if the Stars are allowed to throw serious cash at world stars to the detriment of the other teams and local players it obviously needs to be reeled in

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I like the idea of OS stars in the comp - gives it a BBL vibe. Wary that there's only 1 club with the capital to pull it off though. While 1 (old) wilko won't make them world beaters, if the Stars are allowed to throw serious cash at world stars to the detriment of the other teams and local players it obviously needs to be reeled in

That's the major issue here, if they set a definite rule saying each club is allowed X number marquee players for Y years earning a cap of $Z then it'll potentially be great marketing for the comp and at least approaching fair even if the purchasing power of the NRC sides varies. But if it's just a case of you can only pay $7000 to any player you bring in so we don't need a salary cap and we'll turn a blind eye to whatever the hell is going on at club level, then it's going to cause problems.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it's a great idea provided it is a private investor that is footing the bill, and not the ARU.

One problem with the NRC will be promoting the fact that it exists. If Wilkinson was brought over for the comp, it would get plenty of free publicity. Wilkinson is one of the few international rugby players that is well known to the mainstream public. My little sister probably knows who Jonny Wilkinson is and she knows nothing about rugby.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Just surveyed people at my work, many of whom have no interest in rugby, yet they know who Johnny Wilkinson is.

I'd love to see him out here, but one thought, if the NRC is designed to generate "creative running rugby" Johnny isn't the first person that springs to mind.

I'd love it if Campo came out of retirement for 10 minute cameo in a couple of games. Sure he is over 50, but it would certainly generate interest!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually a lot of perception around JW's "limitations" stem from the fact that Clive Woodward never wanted an expansive game. Forwards bash, Wilko kicks goals, backs tackle. The End.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just surveyed people at my work, many of whom have no interest in rugby, yet they know who Johnny Wilkinson is.

I'd love to see him out here, but one thought, if the NRC is designed to generate "creative running rugby" Johnny isn't the first person that springs to mind.

I'd love it if Campo came out of retirement for 10 minute cameo in a couple of games. Sure he is over 50, but it would certainly generate interest!

JW would be a perfect fit for Sydney Uni then.

Status
Not open for further replies.