• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Will Genia Leaving for Japan in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Quoted from http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Will Genia may be considering rugby stint in Japan, says report

DRAWN-OUT negotiations with the Australian Rugby Union may force Wallabies halfback Will Genia to take up an offer to play in Japan.

It is believed Genia has become frustrated with negotiations with a ARU and is considering taking a break from Australian rugby.

Genia has re-signed with the Queensland Reds but needs a top-up deal with the ARU.

The halfback would command top dollar from the ARU but it is unlikely the national body could match the kind of money that would be on offer in Japan.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Do the Reds have a disproportionate number of players struggling to finalise an ARU deal?

Genia's problem is especially perplexing. If it is about money surely he would have just taken the Force deal and still been eligible for the Wallabies.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I'm sick and tired of all these contracting headlines and if, buts & maybes. FFS ARU get your contracting processes sorted out & players get your heads out of your arses, it's a privilege to be doing what you do for a living, this sort of crap turns people off the game that gives you a great start in life.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Do the Reds have a disproportionate number of players struggling to finalise an ARU deal?

Genia's problem is especially perplexing. If it is about money surely he would have just taken the Force deal and still been eligible for the Wallabies.

Yeah as you said I don't think money is the issue; he just seems intent on taking a sabbatical and having a break for a year or so.

R

randalf8

Yeah, cos we're just so flush with quality players in this country, who needs one of the best scrummies in the business. :rolleyes:

If he sticks around will he start playing like one of the best scrummies in the business? It's been a while.

R

randalf8

Why? Players are entitled to negotiate both for pay and conditions. Presumably that's what he's doing. Is that so unreasonable that you'd willingly lose a world XV contender?

I thought we talking about Genia.

I'm happy to lose him for a season. It looks like we'll be stuck with Deans so with or without Genia we're totally boned. He could use the break and we could use the opportunity to throw someone other than Phipps in the deep end.

Would he even have to miss a season here? It says he has to miss EOTY but when is he going to be fit again?

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
You're being a touch unfair there mate. The other leading scrummies are who? Mike Phillips is a bit of a basket-case, Ben Youngs isn't in the form he was (as far as I know, don't watch that much northern club rugby), Pienaar isn't great, Aaron Smith is in his first year in tests... Genia is still top shelf, and would be in any world XV conversation.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Genia does leave (not saying he will) it does make all the stories about him not taking the dollars at the Force because he burns with passion for Qld rugby a bit ridiculous.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Hate that it all comes down to cash. But to be honest. At his age, it would seem damn exciting to move overseas and experience something new. Plus you get a little less pressure, maybe more rugby enjoyment and more money. He's already proved himself and his reputation will stay intact while he's gone (sometimes seems the best way to enhance your rep is to be injured or away for while until people only remember the highlights). Timing wise he could play the lions and then go away come back for the world cup. His life. Let him do what he wants to. I just hope he doesn't do something just for more cash.

PinkRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Is this perhaps a way for Genia to show that he supports what QC (Quade Cooper) said a few weeks ago?

Allsports

Stan Wickham (3)
No PinkRugby I don't think so. I believe Genia has no intention to go to Japan, his knee injury won't bring him back till late march early april that is if rehab goes well, he knows he'll have to sign the ARU contract well before that so it's definatley about the money. He'll be lucky to be fully fit for the Lions, so let the re-run of the Force & Reds fiasco begin. Not Cool Will Genia & you went from 1 of my favorite players to no respect with the games you've played this year. Cooper I forgive because I don't think he's too clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.