• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont know if the Aussies are wine feet like Thomo (Know Nick drink beer). He start this one on TSF and then disappear. So me living between the vinyards decide to bring it back to him the expert. He know wine better then most and hope he'll keep us up to date on the wine things.

OK the Boere have a passion for winemaking and rugby and here are the sites of the Springbok legends(Lee will know them) , also expert in the art of winemaking.

Schalk Burgers dad. Welbedacht
www.welbedacht.co.za/home.htm

Jan Boland Coetzee Vriesenhof
http://www.vriesenhof.co.za/

Hempies du Toit Annandale Wine Estate
http://www.annandale.co.za/framework/index.asp

Piet "Spiere" du Toit (Spiere is Muscles)
www.kloovenburg.com

Jannie engelbrecht Rust en Vrede (now Ernie Els and Jannie son Jean are partners)
http://www.rustenvrede.com/rust_en_vrede_history.htm

After the 1999 WC final I enjoyed a bottle of NSW wine with some Aussie supporters on the tube back to London after they have win the cup and a memory I'll never forget.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Hempies' family historically owned Alto, and I think Hempies still has an input into it. It's just down the road from Engelbrecht Els and Rust en Vrede, in that little corner of the Helderberg where everything just turns to gold. Still a big lad, is Mnr. Little Shirt du Toit. :-\ Makes bloody wonderful wine. The Alto estate always produced real classic reds. Seriously high alcohol, though; their 2003 Shiraz is bouncing around 16%. :eek:

Rust en Vrede (Jannie) and Engelbrecht Els (Jean) are two separate farms, but neighbouring, if you follow me. Both produce astonishing wine. Mate of mine worked at R&V, and if you're ever in the Cape, that whole block is well worth a visit. Go down the road to 96 Winery for dinner. And go to Romond, as well; former Mjfr. Thomond's family own it, and it's a gorgeous place. :)

Last night's little joy; I'm on a Kaapzicht run at the moment. Their Estate Red, 2004. Cheap as chips at a tenner a bottle. Cinsault, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot. Beautiful wine, loads of fruit, just enough tannin, nicely balanced, easily worth twice the price.

On Friday night, a Matie matjie and I opened a 2002 Zondernaam Shiraz and the 2002 Kaapzicht Coen Steytler Vision. The Shiraz was a lot feistier than I expected it to be for a five year old. Initially, very acidic, peppery, like a much younger wine. Gave it an hour to stand in the corner and remember its manners, and it turned to fruity silk. Lot of sediment starting to be thrown out in the bottle, so I suspect the remaining two bottles I have of this have a fair bit more life left in them than I thought. Which is nice. ;D ;D

The Coen Steytler - it's a Cape Blend, Cab Sav, Merlot, Pinotage. It was wonderful, simply wonderful. It's at its peak, and it was simply glorious from first sip to last - and we lingered over this one for the best part of three hours, to give you a hint of just how good it was. It's bloody dear, at 30 yoyos a bottle, but it's worth every cent. Perfect blend of a merlot-driven Bordeaux and pinotage, with the pinotage showing just what it can do when it's done right, big round fruit, bananas and boiled sweets filling up the mouth with the merlot driving it on and then the Cab Sav taking on the length in your mouth. I got home, and when the supplier reopened yesterday, got another two bottles. It's that good. :thumb :thumb :thumb

Edit; by a strange and happy coincidence - come on down, Hempies du Toit! http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=649769

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomo a bit of a coinsidense that all of these winemakers were strong men on the rugby pitch. Remember Jannie Engelbrecht win WP a Currie Cup against the brute NTvl with a broken collar bone. He played in the same era as frik du Preez. Piet Spiere was the strongest TH ever to don a Springbok jersey. My brother died in a motor accident on the T where Kloovenburg is. I met him a few times. Hempies surely was just as strong and a pitty the world havent see him at his best. He is the only WP brute in his years to turn a Blue Bull scrum inside out. He morsed with any LH in his days. Jan Boland was the first NZ kind of 6. He pioneered that position and was nowhere to be seen on the field only on the bottom of rucks. His years against the Blue Bull legend Thys Lourens was something to appreciate. Well Schalk Burger , nothing to be add about him.

These guys were like wine, the older the better.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
There's a picture of Jannie Engelbrecht playing in the R&V cellars, along with the citation from the Nobel Peace Prize committee.

It's obviously ancient, as he's wearing a WeePee jersey and getting through a tackle... :lmao:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
We Australians like to drink Wine too but we don't really care how it gets made. We imported a heap of wine makers from Europe last century and we have been partying ever since

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sully said:
We Australians like to drink Wine too but we don't really care how it gets made. We imported a heap of wine makers from Europe last century and we have been partying ever since
I have met a couple of Aussies at my neighbours house, visiting these shores and Sterik visit the Aussies shores a couple of times. Myself have share a bit of NSW white on the tube in 1999 when Aus win the WC to celebrate that win. I nearly missed my station in the process.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Saw a D'Arenberg Adelaide Hills Cunning Fox Pinot Noir today. Now, I'd bet the farm on them doing it right, but anyone got any info on this one? :nta:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think you mean The Feral Fox. By all accounts this will be a great wine but it still needs a few years and a good 6 hours to breath after opening. I have not tried it as I prefer Merlots but now that you have put me on to it I might pick up a bottle

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
That's the bunny. Age and air is true of all D'Arenbergs, to be honest. But that said, I'd bet the farm on their ability to deliver every time. Stunning winemakers. :thumb

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Being in the wine trade I have to (yes, that's right, I have to) attend many functions and trade shows connected with the imbibing of wine. Last year was d'Arenberg's turn when d'Arry and Chester hosted a dinner for their customers at a Sydney club. Over twelve or so courses with at least four wines per course we worked our way through the entire d'Arenberg range. Chester gave us the amusing histories of the idiosyncratic names they use, the Feral Fox, the Galvo Garage, the Lucky Lizard, etc. They'd also very kindly raided their museum for some older wines, some up to 30 years. The one thing which sticks out in my memory about the older wines: they're no good on their own, they tasted dumb or faulty, but bloody brilliant with food. Thomo, the smart thing to do with your Feral Fox pinot noir is to decant it; in fact decant it twice, once into a clean bottle and then back into the cleaned original bottle.

Trade wine tastings, wine dinners, bottle evaluations, etc. Just yesterday I opened ten bottles for a boutique hotel in the Blue Mountains and then had to take them home and (start) drink(ing) them, with some assistance from Mrs L. All top stuff, too. Hard and dirty work, but someone's got to do it.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
As I've three ship's decanters - two at home, one in the office to go with the office cellar - decanting ain't a problem. Pleasure, in fact. ;D

As for letting them age, I'm all in favour of it. My 2001/2 pinotages are now just about perfect, and are going to be getting an unmerciful pounding in the next few months, as are my 1998-2000 Bordeaux and Bordeaux blends. The 1997 Musar should just about be really getting into its stride as well.

It's going to be a fun year. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1998 Philip Shiraz via Mt Pleasant (McWilliams, Hunter Valley). Oh my fucking God that little bugger was gold once I'd put it down for 4 years. Shame I drank it all by myself on top of dinner and half a dozen Bundy n Coke - the carpet has never been the same and Mrs the Aussie has never quite forgiven me. THAT, my friends, was a top hangover.

Penfolds also do some mighty good vino. Shame I've developed an allergy to the stuff.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
So far this Christmas:

2003 Goedwervacht Triangle (SA). Bordeaux blend from Robertson. Fan-fecking-tastic wine, casting out a lot of lovely little crystals at the moment, the other two bottles are good for another five years. :happy: 15-17 yoyos. Buy, keep. :D :D :D :D :D

2005 Astrolabe Dry Riesling. Did what it said on the label. So dry it could be a super-hero. Perfect set of Riesling check-notes. Superb wine but... bit too austere, for mine. Influenced heavily by the suck-a-limstone-pebble school of winemaking. For mine, if Mr. Waghorne aimed for a more German style, he'd produce something even more impressive. Now, I wasn't drinking it with seafood, so will try on the other bottle and report. :nta:

2006 Raka Sauvignon Blanc (SA) - cracker. Ab-so-lute peach. Perfect balance between fruit and dryness, an ideal SB. Drank beautifully over two days. Cheap at twice the price - and at 10 yoyos a bottle, it was bloody cheap first day. :thumb

2006 Rasteau - blew me away for a wine this young. Lovely, easy wine, soft berry flavours, bit of tannin to balance it, proof that the French have really woken up and are fighting back. Again, ten a bottle and a steal. :thumb

2005 Torbreck Old Vine GSM (Aus). Was for sale at 13 yoyos. Worth 20. Liquid mixed jam; loganberries, boysenberries, raspberries, blackberries, you name it, soft as Nathan Sharpe, a better gulper than an Irish girl in Bondi, won't last twelve months, but who cares? ;D Not, btw a food wine; overpowering for pretty much everything- get the Rasteau for that.

2005 The Wolftrap Boekenhoutskloof. Sun-warmed, it was gorgeous. Easy and free (to quote the song) Cotes du Rhone style from the Franschoek valley, blended from about five different varieties. My new Johnson wine atlas gets very sniffy about how the Cape is now blending reds in the French style; for me, this, and Cape Blends like the Coen Steytler show he doesn't know what he's talking about. Blends are goooooood. :thumb

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
German Red.

Sounds like a joke, doesn't it? Something out of a Month Python out-take.

Well, had one last night that changed my mind but bloody fast, courtesy of Ms. Thomond's German brother-in-law, who's as big a wine nut as I am but who's had an extra ten years of disposable income to build up the collection.

Weingut GA Heinrich Wollendieb 2004. From Heilbronn in Baden. Put it this way, the other half of what was the Duchy of Burgundy does Pinot Noir just as well as the western half (they call it Lemburger there, btw, same as Gruner Veltlinger is the German name for Sauvignon Blanc).

Gorgeous wine, big initial whack of cherries and pungency, fair bit of tannin. Left it open for an hour and it opened out into this magnificently balanced creature of soft cherries and red fruit, that small hint of the farmyard that I really like in a good Pinot Noir, just enough tannin to make it interesting - this wine with some pheasant would make my day. One of my local wine merchants is a German, and I'm going in to him in the New Year with the cork, the details, my credit card and a demand for a case. It's that good.

Would have to say I'm having a bloody good Christmas on the wine front, even by my high standards of crankiness. :yay :yay :yay

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Forgot to take my box Roodeberg on holiday but boy it was great to open one yesterday arriving back.

Think this is the right thread to give a high five to my Boerse Ier for his avator. That label is the most famous one in Stellenbosch called "Tassies". Much fortunate to have met the person that invent Tassies and have the same surname as me.

If TYS had Scrafie awards like TSF mine would have gone to Thomo by a mile for the best avator! :thumb

Hoe dit daar, my broer!

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
In that case, PB, you've met (sod it, given Boer genetics, you're related to) the man who made Koos Kombuis what he is. It must be like shaking the hand of God the Father... :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Right, a few little notes from the wine-stained scrawl:

First off, SA reds. I've been harbouring a little suspicion about these little beauties for a while. It was sparked off by two things; frequently, they don't taste as good here as they do in the warm wild of SA; and secondly, a comparison on the same wine. Rustenberg's 2004 Brampton OVR. Lovely, soft fruity wine, Shiraz-led blend. Now, I had it back in August, in a warm pub full of wiremen, and it was fan-fecking-tastic, a joyous gulper of a red. Then I had it about a month ago, at home, which I tend to keep cold enough at about 15 C, no more. It was tight, coiled in on itself, hadn't opened up the way I remembered. Then, suddenly, after I'd been holding it in my hand to warm up, it got that bit warmer and it exploded out into the same wine it was in August.

Now, Thursday night, I opened my 2000 Spier Private Reserve Pinotage. I've been looking after this wine for three years, btw. Same thing; tight, not that fruity, tannins softened out, the hints of the big spicy stewed black fruit and bananas that you should have with Pinotage, but muffled. Then it warmed up, and bang - big, open wine, soft, but surprisingly civilised (I'm a firm believer that lots of bottle age for Pinotage can make it something spectacular). It had a backbone to it, a hint of minerality to balance out the fruit, just enough tannin left to provide structure to it. The amount of sediment it had thrown off was spectacular, btw. Finished it off last night (I was away in the interim) and it still drank well after four days open.

So, I'm seriously starting to think SA red wines need to be drunk at a higher temperature, as there appears to be a crucial cut-off temperature of the wine below which they don't open out and above which they do. I'll test it further.

Next up - Little Yering Pinot Noir 2006 (Aus). Now, let's be frank here; you're an uncivilised bunch in the Great South Land. You're not subtle. The fecking Boere have more Nobel Prizes for Literature than you, and that's a bad state of affairs (and not their best writer either - Nadine fecking Gordimer isn't fit to fill Breyten Breytenbach's fountain pen, but I digress). You're cheerful, happy-go-lucky louts - good guys, but you'd make sure and hand out the Ferrero Rocher at the diplomatic reception before letting you near the bar, know what I mean? So, when let loose on Pinot Noir, the elegant sophisticate that it is, you're not going to make a Gevray Chambertin. This ain't a Gevray Chambertin, which can make me repent my sins and promise God I'll be a better Thomond78. What it is, is a lovely cherry-and-strawberry light Pinot Noir for about 12 yoyos. Soft, open, ready now, won't age, won't get the chance to, because it's a lovely drinkable wine to slip down. Had it with some very good pork sausages, and it's a good wine with pork, as you'd expect, and I suspect it'd be great with cheeses as well. It's what I'd describe as a Fleurie-style Pinot, doesn't have the whiff of farmyard that can make a serious red Burgundy so complex. Doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't, asks you politely would you like a beer rather than a Shiraz-style slap on the back, calling you a bastard and shoving a Bundy in your fist, but a good friendly wine. And, let it be noted, better than anything I've seen the Kiwis do for that price. Cry havoc and let slip the dingoes of wine, gentlemen... >:D

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
In that case, PB, you've met (sod it, given Boer genetics, you're related to) the man who made Koos Kombuis what he is. It must be like shaking the hand of God the Father... :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
Dont think I have ever met a more down to earth guy like him (The Nieuwoudts all run away from Jan van Riebeek and settle from Citrusdal, ClanWilliam and up north in Namaqualand, where I grow up, depending on their records). Kaalvoet Boereman. He is retired now and live in Riversdal and Stilbaai.

He work for many a year in Stellenbosch as a winemaker and fight for the behold of Tassies.

My neighbour in Paarl is also the KWV winemaker director. Played 10 rugby for Paarl in his days.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Not to mention Nieuwoudtville. :p

Mate of mine's uncle works for KWV as well, and keeps threatening to take me around the Cathedral Cellar.

More importantly, let me mention 2003. 1998 was an amazing year in the Cape. I've never had a bad bottle of 2003 Cape wine.

So today, I saw the 2003 Meerlust Rubicon. For mine, possibly the best non-Bordeaux Bordeaux on the planet in one of the very best years ever. For 25 euro a bottle. And a little note on the back saying it's good for twenty years.
:notworthy :praying: :notworthy :praying: :notworthy :praying:

It was like being a child on Christmas morning, or on the verge of your first ride; I hardly dared breath for fear something would go wrong and it'd all be taken away from under my nose.

Of course I bought a fecking case, what would you do?

They're going away for a decade, and they're mine, all mine. :yay :yay :yay :yay

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
So, given I've stocked up on two each of the Kanonkop Estate Pinotage from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 in the last two weeks. In about a decade, I'm going to be drinking some stunning wine.

But, more immediately, opened the 2001 Rust en Vrede Estate Shiraz on Friday night. Decanted it, when I realised it had thrown out quite astonishing amounts of sediment. It was an amazing wine. Not a SH Shiraz, more like a top-notch Syrah from the Rhone. Fruity (black fruit, in abundance), silky, finesse from start to gloriously long finish. I'd been looking after it for four years, since I bought it in R&V, and it was simply perfect. If it's not one of the best wines I drink this year, I'll be a happy, happy man.

If you see it, don't muck about, just buy it and give yourself a treat.