• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tip one - make sure that wine is accompanied with copious quantities of water.

Tip two - see if you can track down the organic / persertative free wines. Sounds odd, but I have found that the presertative free varieties don't seem to give the 'near death experiences' that you speak of. Having said that..... it is quantitiy related.

Tip Three - drink better wine. It is true that the better the wine the less the hangover. Again quantity related.

Tip four - If tips 1 through 3 fail, drink rum.

I get the near death experiences with beer so mainly drink rum and wine.

You obviously saved the best tip for last :)

I'm still disappointed they stopped producing Bundy Black. Luckily a few bottles remain intact alongside the aging reds in the cellar.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
You obviously saved the best tip for last :)

I'm still disappointed they stopped producing Bundy Black. Luckily a few bottles remain intact alongside the aging reds in the cellar.

Can I come and visit? Please?????????;):D

Back to wine:

Boss gave me a bottle a few weeks ago and I opened it last night.... didn't think much, but being a shiraz girl I didn't mind it. Passable. Well went back this evening and I tell you what I want more!!!!!!! Willow Ridge Estate, The Black Dog Shiraz, 2001.

Tweeked my knee playing with his dog today, wonder if I could go for the sympathy vote????????

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh yes, I am living between the vineyards. I should have qouted drinking wine and standing in the sun dont mix. It will make you more brittle the next day if you have to work in the sun.

Oh yes. Few weeks ago spent the afternoon sitting in the sun drinking bubbles with a friend. Next morning not pretty.... Switched to the rum next day.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
RT, I'm not much of a wine drinker, preferring beer, but my wife swears by a product called Pure Wine (www.purewine.com.au) that she gets from Dan Murphy's. She just puts one drop in her glass of wine and she never gets a headache or hangover. Apparently it's flavourless so doesn't affect the taste of the wine.

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go, I love a good red.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Went to a wine bar before dinner on Saturday night (Wine Odyssey, a dangerous place) had a wonderful wine, Torbeck Woodcutter’s RVM, a Roussanne Viognier Marsanne blend.

WRVM.jpg

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Rhone blends, both white and red, are something we'll be seeing a lot more of in this country. The climate in the Rhone Valley is among the warmest in France and, importantly, it's where Shiraz comes from. Shiraz is well down the pecking order of French wines after those from Bordeaux and Burgundy but not here, it simply loves warm weather. We've started to produce some red Rhone blends here in Oz (one of my wineries has an outstanding Shiraz Viognier) and there are some very, very good Grenache Shiraz Mourvedres (GSMs) from South Australia. Victoria seem to dominate white Rhone blends as they have a long history of the requisite varieties planted there; however, South Australia are now starting to put out some good ones, especially from d'Arenberg. I haven't tasted the Torbreck Woodcutter's yet, did you save me a drop, fp?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Lindo, agree totally on the GSM's, especially the ones in South Australia -- more particularly in the Barossa. I've had great GSM from Kaesler, Grant Burge, Turkey Flat and Charles Melton. The Nine Popes is one of my favourite wines full stop.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rhone blends, both white and red, are something we'll be seeing a lot more of in this country. The climate in the Rhone valley is among the warmest in France and, importantly, it's where Shiraz comes from. Shiraz is well down the pecking order of French wines after those from Bordeaux and Burgundy but not here, it simply loves warm weather. We've started to produce some red Rhone blends here in Oz (one of my winery principals has an outstanding Shiraz Viognier) and there are some very, very good Grenache Shiraz Mourvedres (GSMs) from South Australia. Victoria seem to dominate white Rhone blends as they have a long history of the requisite varieties planted there; however, South Australia are now starting to put out some good ones, especially from d'Arenberg. I haven't tasted the Torbreck Woodcutter's yet, did you save me a drop, fp?

sorry, mate, none saved

Trobreck is an amazing winery, never had a dud from these guys. Not bargains, some are outrageously expensive, but bloody good refined wines.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
For those lovers of big ass Barossa Shiraz, I'm always on the lookout for a bargain, and have found this one punches above its weight:

St Johns Road 'Blood and Courage' Shiraz.

And the wine maker has a sense of humour by putting and old black and white team photo on the label. Blood and courage. Under $20. Drink in moderation. Food match: Winfield 25's.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Lindo, agree totally on the GSM's, especially the ones in South Australia -- more particularly in the Barossa. I've had great GSM from Kaesler, Grant Burge, Turkey Flat and Charles Melton. The Nine Popes is one of my favourite wines full stop.
I have a lovely collection of Holy Trinity from years between 1995 and 2002 stored away waiting for me to go through them. I get excited just thinking about it!

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I plan to lindo. They are packed away safely during my renovation, but on completion I may feel the need to celebrate (cellarbrate?)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I plan to lindo. They are packed away safely during my renovation, but on completion I may feel the need to celebrate (cellarbrate?)

And invite us to the reno warming?

Would have to agree with TBH on Turkey flat GSM. Actually had a 2003 version just recently that I 'found' in the rack and was happy I did.