• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Very large grower with vineyards to the north of Orange. I think they may've picked up some of the detritus from the Reynolds Wines' mess, a tax dodge which burnt quite a few winegrowers in the central west in the early 2000s. The crew who own Belgravia also own the Union Bank Wine Bar in Orange, well worth a visit if you're in that town. They have a sensational bottle shop next to the wine bar.

Belgravia wines are always good, clean wines, and reasonably priced.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For those lovers of big ass Barossa Shiraz, I'm always on the lookout for a bargain, and have found this one punches above its weight:

St Johns Road 'Blood and Courage' Shiraz.

And the wine maker has a sense of humour by putting and old black and white team photo on the label. Blood and courage. Under $20. Drink in moderation. Food match: Winfield 25's.
I have not been able to find this at any of my local and not-so local bottlos - any tips on where to get it in Syd?

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Picked up another beauty.

Kay Bros Brothers Basket Pressed Grenache (Mclarenvale). $25

No shrinking violet (if this wine had an arse, it'd be a J-Lo). Be seated before drinking. Food Match: another glass refill.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Picked up another beauty.

Kay Bros Brothers Basket Pressed Grenache (Mclarenvale). $25

No shrinking violet (if this wine had an arse, it'd be a J-Lo). Be seated before drinking. Food Match: another glass refill.

Big fan of Kay Bros. Their basket pressed Shiraz is great, as is their Eden Valley riesling.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Every time I read basket pressed, I think of basket weaving and imagine drinking this in a tie-dyed kaftan with some beads and a spliff (not inhaling, of course!!).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Had a Taylors TWP Botrytis Reisling last night.

Very very impressed. It is a sticky that doesn't have the suck your lips in syrup of De Bortelli Noble One (Chez Jarse comparison benchmark to judge all other Stickies).

Recommended if you want a sticky with some light and subtle flavours that doesn't assault you outright and instantly demand your full attention.

Reasonably priced at $22 per bottle.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
@lindomer is our local wine expert. My daughter bought this back from Bordeaux. With goat curry tonight.
ejydahyq.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't say "goat curry", say "curried goat". Ask any Brummie.

A Brum would say Goat Balti. I'm off down the Pershore road for a Balti Goat Tikka and a giant Naan. I'll stop by the offie for some Tennents.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 4

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well the Chateau de la Cieffe Chapelle was fantastic with my GOAT CURRY. A really nice drop.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm going over to NZ in November and have booked two days post the Vintage Rugby Carnival to go to Blenheim to tour the Marlborough vineyards on a bike. Any recommendations on vineyards and cellar doors to visit. I'm partial to the Awatere sav blancs, Clifford Bay and Astrolabe, and also Catalina Sounds.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You lost me at Sauv Blanc. Just not my thing.
But there are supposedly some pretty good ones there, so enjoy!
I'm sure you can find some good Pinot Noir on that trip, so all is not lost! ;)