• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
196x261xMargan_Family_Winegrowers_Botrytis_Semillon_Web1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5NskAH9SZ0.jpg

Enjoying re-discovering sticky wines. Latest drop is Margan 2008 Botrytis Semillon.

La Jarse ordered a box of 6 of this sticky from Margans in the Hunter Valley recently. Someone rings us up from time to time with a deal and we sometimes order.

Not too sweet and goes down really well after dinner. Can't remember the price (think it was less then $20 per bottle, and for that price and taste it is pretty good value if you can get your hands on some.

Cheers.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I've tasted that one a few times. Haven't bought it yet. It's a good one.
Nightingale Wines, across the road, have a verdelho liqueur which is pretty damn special too.
I also have some botrytis from Mount Broke Wines (behind Margan) which I've yet to open.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm innocent I tell yers. It wasn't my wine which sunk big Bazza. :rolleyes:

Although I wish I DID have a few $3,000 wines in my stable.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
For a good evening of tasting some of our top wines get yourself to the Langtons Tasting. Unfortunately you will have to wait till next year. At $90 a ticket you can get to taste some top shelf stuff and also meet the winemakers.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I you are ever wandering around Margert River do yourself a favour & look these guys up. I was there last year and bought some of their 2010 Shriaz. Cracked a bottle of it the other night and drank the lot because it was so good. Also sent an order to my Perth wine merchant for a case to bring to the French test for me. I like my Shriaz's and this would have to rate as one of the best I have had. Only pit is that they only sell at cellar door. http://www.capegracewines.com.au/

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wines CAN be too alcoholic, boyo. The usual giveaway is a "hot" feeling when tasting such wines. The fashionable American wine writer, Robert Parker, gave high alcohol wines a big push in the 80s, and some Aussie producers pinned their ears back producing reds up 18%; that's the old standard for fortified wines. Wines over 15% present problems in quite a few of our export markets as they require extra certification that they're wines.

The usual problem with high alcohol wines (say, over 14.5%) is that they aren't balanced; they generally display "hot" characteristics and the fruit/acid/tannin notes aren't in harmony. The other salient point is wines with high alcohol aren't good for laying down as they quickly become flabby.

In my view the best red wines generally don't go over 14% alcohol by volume. Whites rarely get to this level, 13% is high enough for them.

Last edited:

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
This "hot" sensation is mentioned in one of the comments.

Several years ago (at a winery in the Hunter Valley) my m-i-l tasted a big red and said "Oooooooooo".;)

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Wake up Lindommer!! I need some advice! Given that much "rubbish" appears on these threads, I would like to ask you a "rubbish question"!
When we re-cycle our screw-cap (glass) wine bottles, we are asked (by our local Govt. body) to remove the aluminium screw-cap from the bottle. Does that also apply to the aluminium 'sleeve' at the top of the bottle?

I ask this question, because I would not like to think that every glass bottle that is placed in a yellow-topped recycling bin, (which still has the aluminium sleeve attached), is rejected, and ends up being placed in with the 'general waste'!