• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I you are ever wandering around Margert River do yourself a favour & look these guys up. I was there last year and bought some of their 2010 Shriaz. Cracked a bottle of it the other night and drank the lot because it was so good. Also sent an order to my Perth wine merchant for a case to bring to the French test for me. I like my Shriaz's and this would have to rate as one of the best I have had. Only pit is that they only sell at cellar door. http://www.capegracewines.com.au/

Just saw this post. YES!!!! We know the proprietors pretty well now and they make great wine. Their Cabernet in particular is fantastic.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I didn't know I was asleep, MrD!

The wine writer for the SMH, Huon Hooke, wrote an article about bottle recycling a couple of years ago. He spent a day at a glass recycling plant and got the lowdown from the plant manager: metal tops (and sleeves) are recycled. In fact they don't mind the screwcaps being left on the top of bottles as long as they're loosened. I'll see if I can find the article.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Rugby league shits me
I hate standing in lines at the bank.
Cold pies , don't get me started on cold pies;

Oops ,just realized this is the wine thread. not whine thread

I do like a drop of red.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I must say the final was made rather liquid after couple of bottles of this yesterday afternoon, a very good drop!

Teusner The Riebke Shiraz

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Found a 1996 Castle Rock Estate Pinot Noir in the cellar tonight.

This is only supposed to last for 8-10 years.

After 18 years cellering, it was an absolutely sublime drop, and still had some years life left in it.

Went well with a good BBQ Scotch Fillet. Didn't last long.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I bought a case of "2013 Dominique Portet Fontaine Sauvignon Blanc"

Very nice, made in the French Sancerre style, not the NZ grass clippings in a blender style of Sauvignon Blanc wine making.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I didn't know I was asleep, MrD!

The wine writer for the SMH, Huon Hooke, wrote an article about bottle recycling a couple of years ago. He spent a day at a glass recycling plant and got the lowdown from the plant manager: metal tops (and sleeves) are recycled. In fact they don't mind the screwcaps being left on the top of bottles as long as they're loosened. I'll see if I can find the article.

Lindommer, no offence meant, just getting your attention!! (Similar to The Wiggles)!
I just realised that I hadn't thanked you for the above info., consider it done. I wonder if the folk at our local Gold Coast recycling facility are as accommodating. I wouldn't like the job of 'slitting' all those aluminium sleeves with a sharp knife!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Found a 1996 Castle Rock Estate Pinot Noir in the cellar tonight.

This is only supposed to last for 8-10 years.

After 18 years cellering, it was an absolutely sublime drop, and still had some years life left in it.

Went well with a good BBQ Scotch Fillet. Didn't last long.

Mr Jarse, may I suggest as an alternative, you try "Drovers Pride" Beef Rump Steak, ("thick cut pub style rump") available at Coles supermarkets. Given that it comes in at $21-00/kg, compared to Scotch Fillet at around $33-00/kg, Mrs Jarse will have enough left in her purse after the weekly shop to call in at the TAB on her way home!
The rump is stamped "Product of QLD", but I'm sure it finds it's way across the border! We previously always used scotch fillet, but since changing to the DP rump many months ago, we haven't been disappointed. I await your feedback.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Nah, MrD, they won't be "slitting" the aluminium sleeves when they're on the bottle. All glass recycled in Australia is ground down into a fine powder and then reformed into new bottles. The old bottles and whatever metal is with them is cracked and crushed first, I imagine magnets would draw the caps and sleeves out before the final grinding-down.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Doesn't that shit you, why, oh why, does fruit need labelling? To be consistent there should be labels on raisins, and grapes... o_O

With the ridiculous child labour laws we've got in this country, it's impossible to employ children with small enough fingers to put stickers on grapes. ;)

T

Train Without a Station

Just getting into wine a bit more. Attempting to build up a bit of a collection (difficult when my girlfriend seems intent on drinking it all). Can anybody recommend reds (normally stick to Cab Sauv or Shiraz though don't mind the odd Pinot) under $50 that may age well?

Actually picked up a bottle of the Xanadu off that list which has survived the girl friend to date. May have to pick up another bottle to see how it tastes now.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Just getting into wine a bit more. Attempting to build up a bit of a collection (difficult when my girlfriend seems intent on drinking it all). Can anybody recommend reds (normally stick to Cab Sauv or Shiraz though don't mind the odd Pinot) under $50 that may age well?

Actually picked up a bottle of the Xanadu off that list which has survived the girl friend to date. May have to pick up another bottle to see how it tastes now.

I could recommend a thousand different makers. Let me think about it some more and get back to you.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Part of the fun though is finding your own. Go on a day or weekend to a wine region. Make sure you go to the smaller makers as well. That's how we started ours.