• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

winters passing

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RugbyGal

Move to the highveld. We have been having summer for 2 weeks now!

S

Sardyntjie

PaarlBok said:
Sardyntjie said:
PaarlBok said:
Sardyntjie said:
I knew there was a little bit of winter spite left in the Cape.DAMN :mad:
Huge 7 metre swell and rain for the weekend.And lots of wind.Looks as tho we will be calling off that boat fishing trip we had planned this weekend at Langebaan :'(
Sardyntjie you can do the right thing now, take her on a sunday cruise to Ceres and go built some snowmen. Just take your sweet wine, you usually drink when catching fish when its high tide with for the cold.

Psssssttt , shes bun in the oven so no dop.............good idea mind.
Look I am a early chappie. Wake up at 4 and go to sleep at 9. Just watch the newspapers but I think the Ceres mountains is covered with snow. Best direction to drive till near the end of Ceres main road and take the Citrusdal road left. Think its about a 10-20 km drive from there to the snowy mountains. Just go early before the Slaapstadters tremple the place.

those dozy palookers. 8)

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Went through the Cederberg at the start of August. Not a drop of snow above Citrusdal, lots of daisies, nearly twatted a klipspringer on the way over the Pakhuis pass.

It's bloody gorgeous. Stayed in a farm called Papkuilsfontein, 20km from Paarlbokville, in a restored bywoner's cottage lit by paraffin lamps, with an open fire, and with some of the best food I've ever eaten in SA delivered from the main house. 12km trek through the veld beforehand to a waterfall as well, and a tour of the farm including San rock art the next morning as well. :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

Incidentally, Sardyntijie, you'd love Vilankulos. Huge fish, of all kinds, including legions of stumpnose.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well Thomo you wont find it the same at the moment. Some big storms at the moment and cold as hell.

S

Sardyntjie

Friggin hell..........that storm blindsided me for sure.No case fotr the heaters and a miserable and cold , wet and windy weekend...

But I managed to get some chores done , like finishing building the babys cot and fitting some towel rails in the en-suite.

S

Sardyntjie

Thomond78 said:
Went through the Cederberg at the start of August. Not a drop of snow above Citrusdal, lots of daisies, nearly twatted a klipspringer on the way over the Pakhuis pass.

It's bloody gorgeous. Stayed in a farm called Papkuilsfontein, 20km from Paarlbokville, in a restored bywoner's cottage lit by paraffin lamps, with an open fire, and with some of the best food I've ever eaten in SA delivered from the main house. 12km trek through the veld beforehand to a waterfall as well, and a tour of the farm including San rock art the next morning as well. :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

Incidentally, Sardyntijie, you'd love Vilankulos. Huge fish, of all kinds, including legions of stumpnose.

you mean in Mocambique.Yup , thats a trip we are planning for two years tdown the line.Not sure where in Mocambique , but the boys are up for it and its on the wish list.Next year is Witsands , then Namibia ( Henties ) , then Mocambique.

http://www.vilanculosresorts.com/

R

Rugby Rat

Sardyntjie said:
Was fishing off some rocks on the coastline this weekend when some fairly decent sized swell came through and looked as tho they would wash us off but were just not big enough........reports of a mini Tsunami were touted later that day.

How can you call it a mini Tsunami......

its either a tsunami or not

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8915364398331751844

LOL...Biggest I have surfed was 5.5 metres in open waters. Reckon the sets were more like 4.5 metres tho it's very hard to tell. May have been 6.5 for all I know.

Paddle in. No ski.

S

Sardyntjie

friggging hell rr , thats some mighty waves you have surfed.If I had done an eight foot wave as a guppie I was pleased.In fact that was my biggest.Where did you surf thhose waves????

R

Rugby Rat

Sardyntjie said:
friggging hell rr , thats some mighty waves you have surfed.If I had done an eight foot wave as a guppie I was pleased.In fact that was my biggest.Where did you surf thhose waves????

From Mackay all the way down to the Gold Coast. Grew up in Mackay so we would tuck into the cyclones. Few bigger days with building sets at the height of the storm. Followed a few down the coast.

After surfing in cyclones, wave size did not matter. I would just paddle into anything. Confidence does funny things..lol.

R

Rugby Rat

39 ... so I am over the bigger stuff. Give me a nice 4-5 foot anyday.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Rugby Rat said:
Saw before saturdays test Kearns and the commentaries was visiting Jeffreys Bay (thats where you find SA's big ones on the east coastline)during the week between the tests and he did surfing some big ones.

S

Sardyntjie

PaarlBok said:
Rugby Rat said:
Saw before saturdays test Kearns and the commentaries was visiting Jeffreys Bay (thats where you find SA's big ones on the east coastline)during the week between the tests and he did surfing some big ones.

that was a nice surprise.Him and Greg had such a wonderfull time in SA , they probably didnt mind the loss of the weekend at all.

R

Rugby Rat

Still good fun and 1-2 hours of surfing is great fitness.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Sardyntjie said:
Rugby Rat said:
Still good fun and 1-2 hours of surfing is great fitness.
you are Kearnsey and I want my yellow scarf as a prize

check out J Bay at the moment

http://magicseaweed.com/Jeffreys-Bay-J-Bay-Surf-Report/88/

check the size of the swells

http://www.jbaysurfcam.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=41

Check out the cretins who decided that going swimming off the rocks in Kalk Baai on Monday would be a laugh.

I would tell you to check out the idiot American exchange student who decided going hiking along the shore between Knysna and Plett in the middle of nine-metre waves was a good idea, but the only thing capable of checking out that poor candidate for a Darwin Award now is a Southern Right... :-\ ::)

S

Sardyntjie

Who thought winter has passed.I still managed to get an awesome tan on Saturday doing sdome fishing and sunday was back under covers watching the weekends matches that were recorded.Another storm has hit the Cape .The weather is F...ed up.
The water is still cold as the storm winds are pushing the cold water from deeep onto the shores.We were supposed to be taking Kob and Steenbras alrready but the cold shore water is keeping them away.
The rivers mouths are still not fishable as there is too much rain water coming down and not emnough saltwater coming into the rivers.Garrick and Elf are therefore not available yet.These fish should have been on the bite already and my season is on hold at the moment.Hopefully the ffish will be so hungry when the storms stop that we get a good season.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sardyntjie said:
Who thought winter has passed.I still managed to get an awesome tan on Saturday doing sdome fishing and sunday was back under covers watching the weekends matches that were recorded.Another storm has hit the Cape .The weather is F...ed up.
The water is still cold as the storm winds are pushing the cold water from deeep onto the shores.We were supposed to be taking Kob and Steenbras alrready but the cold shore water is keeping them away.
The rivers mouths are still not fishable as there is too much rain water coming down and not emnough saltwater coming into the rivers.Garrick and Elf are therefore not available yet.These fish should have been on the bite already and my season is on hold at the moment.Hopefully the ffish will be so hungry when the storms stop that we get a good season.
Incredable. Saturday we had temperatures in the 30s and the final of the Club Champs they had to take water breaks on saturday. Myself even in the pool because of the heat. Yesterday its back to binneboud weather and still coming down.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Similar here Paarl - got to about 30 and was pleasantly warm with a dry NW wind. Then Sunday back to overcast, occasional showers and a massive storm in the afternoon! Weird. Today - 27 and windy.

Status
Not open for further replies.