• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Confirmed as QLD v NSW Women at the Global 10's - two matches, one on Saturday and then another on the Sunday.

QLD have apparently picked a squad and started contacting players in last couple of days. Training starts early January.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Big news for the XVs version of the Women's game which has been overshadowed by 7s of late:

Rugby Australia today launched the Super W Competition that will re-define the landscape for Women’s XVs Rugby in Australia, with the five-team competition to kick off in March 2018.

Australia’s five State representative teams; Queensland, NSW, ACT, Victoria, and Western Australia will compete around the country in a six-week competition which will conclude with a final in April.

The new Women’s National XVs competition, Super W, is the second national Women’s Competition to be launched this year after the successful first season of the Aon University Sevens Series that was held from August to September.

The Super W competition will provide greater opportunity for XVs players across the country, lift the standards of Rugby and re-define the pathway to the Buildcorp Wallaroos.

In a further exciting development for Women’s Rugby, Rugby Australia also today confirmed that it would bid for the 2021 Women’s Rugby World Cup, that if successful would see the 12 best Rugby nations descend on Aussie soil to fight for the global crown.

Outgoing Rugby Australia CEO, Bill Pulver said: “For a young girl picking up a Rugby ball for the first-time next season, she will now have a clear and accessible pathway to represent her country through the Buildcorp Wallaroos and Qantas Australian Women’s Sevens team.

“Super W will allow our Women’s XVs players the opportunity to play in a high-quality competition, fully entrenched within the professional programs at each state giving them access to elite Coaching and High-Performance facilities. This will make the Buildcorp Wallaroos a significantly stronger outfit moving forward.

“The pathway is now complete in both with the Aon University Sevens Series and Super W working in tandem to provide elite opportunities for players in both formats of the game.”

“Bidding for the Women’s Rugby World Cup I hope signifies to the community how serious we are about making Rugby a game for all and growing female participation. If we are successful with our bid, it will have an immediate and significant impact on Women’s Rugby.”

“The Australian Rugby community has been incredibly proud of the growth of the Women’s Game in recent times and I know that this crucial competition is going to supercharge this growth in future years.”

Qantas Australia Women’s Sevens Co-Captain and Buildcorp Wallaroos Captain, Shannon Parry said: “I am really proud and excited about this competition launching next year and what this means for the game in Australia.

“Since I started playing Rugby in Brisbane the game has come along in leaps and bounds and this competition means that there is opportunity now for all XVs players and Sevens players at the elite level.

“It’s going to be great to see Women’s State teams slug it out against each other and will open a lot of girls’ eyes up to the opportunities for them in Rugby.

“I have played in three Women’s Rugby World Cups and I know that we would be amazing hosts for the tournament.

Australians love putting on a sporting show when we host major tournaments and events and it would be huge to bring the pinnacle of Women’s XVs Rugby to our shores.”

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well done RA for getting this going.

Wamberal, if you are monitoring this thread, I am giving the ARU/RA a compliment. Becasue the deserve it, not out of misplaced devotion.

Interesting that they are running 5 teams. (I would have inserted the winking emoticon here but it doesn't work)

T

TOCC

Yep great initiative by the ARU.. 7's has been the primary focus for developing the game in the womens space, this 15's tournament is a good incentive to encourage some of those to come across to 15's as well.

likewise Wamberal take note, credit where credits due, these sort of initiatives I applaud, I think he accused me of having nothing positive to say about the ARU/RA.

D

daz

Given the women's 15's was a key requirement by Josephine Sukkar, is this news enough to save the Buildcorp sponsorship money for NRC, or has that ship sailed? Although I suppose Buildcorp would likely sponsor the women's 7's/15's teams, adding to the Wallaroo's sponsorship.

T

TOCC

Given the women's 15's was a key requirement by Josephine Sukkar, is this news enough to save the Buildcorp sponsorship money for NRC, or has that ship sailed? Although I suppose Buildcorp would likely sponsor the women's 7's/15's teams, adding to the Wallaroo's sponsorship.

She has been a massive driving force behind the women’s XV’s, at the very least I expect them to come on board as primary sponsors of the W League

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Big news for the XVs version of the Women's game which has been overshadowed by 7s of late:

Rugby Australia today launched the Super W Competition that will re-define the landscape for Women’s XVs Rugby in Australia, with the five-team competition to kick off in March 2018.

Australia’s five State representative teams; Queensland, NSW, ACT, Victoria, and Western Australia will compete around the country in a six-week competition which will conclude with a final in April.

The new Women’s National XVs competition, Super W, is the second national Women’s Competition to be launched this year after the successful first season of the Aon University Sevens Series that was held from August to September.

The Super W competition will provide greater opportunity for XVs players across the country, lift the standards of Rugby and re-define the pathway to the Buildcorp Wallaroos.

In a further exciting development for Women’s Rugby, Rugby Australia also today confirmed that it would bid for the 2021 Women’s Rugby World Cup, that if successful would see the 12 best Rugby nations descend on Aussie soil to fight for the global crown.

Outgoing Rugby Australia CEO, Bill Pulver said: “For a young girl picking up a Rugby ball for the first-time next season, she will now have a clear and accessible pathway to represent her country through the Buildcorp Wallaroos and Qantas Australian Women’s Sevens team.

“Super W will allow our Women’s XVs players the opportunity to play in a high-quality competition, fully entrenched within the professional programs at each state giving them access to elite Coaching and High-Performance facilities. This will make the Buildcorp Wallaroos a significantly stronger outfit moving forward.

“The pathway is now complete in both with the Aon University Sevens Series and Super W working in tandem to provide elite opportunities for players in both formats of the game.”

“Bidding for the Women’s Rugby World Cup I hope signifies to the community how serious we are about making Rugby a game for all and growing female participation. If we are successful with our bid, it will have an immediate and significant impact on Women’s Rugby.”

“The Australian Rugby community has been incredibly proud of the growth of the Women’s Game in recent times and I know that this crucial competition is going to supercharge this growth in future years.”

Qantas Australia Women’s Sevens Co-Captain and Buildcorp Wallaroos Captain, Shannon Parry said: “I am really proud and excited about this competition launching next year and what this means for the game in Australia.

“Since I started playing Rugby in Brisbane the game has come along in leaps and bounds and this competition means that there is opportunity now for all XVs players and Sevens players at the elite level.

“It’s going to be great to see Women’s State teams slug it out against each other and will open a lot of girls’ eyes up to the opportunities for them in Rugby.

“I have played in three Women’s Rugby World Cups and I know that we would be amazing hosts for the tournament.

Australians love putting on a sporting show when we host major tournaments and events and it would be huge to bring the pinnacle of Women’s XVs Rugby to our shores.”

Buildcorp back as sponsors...did they not pull out because of not having a womens 7's and 15s comp which now both have.....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep great initiative by the ARU.. 7's has been the primary focus for developing the game in the womens space, this 15's tournament is a good incentive to encourage some of those to come across to 15's as well.

likewise Wamberal take note, credit where credits due, these sort of initiatives I applaud, I think he accused me of having nothing positive to say about the ARU/RA.

I agree credit where it is due - well done to RA for getting this woman's Xv comp up as great for our game and woman's rugby..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

just saw your post Daz and was exactly my question....I thought twiggy planned to sponsor the NRC as part of his proposal for IPRC etc.....would be good if could even get a couple of sponsors to give some much needed money to develop and market the NRC.....also would be good if could get some of twiggy's team help with ideas how to market it as well given how many clever people has on his team....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've lost track? When was the IPRC meant to run? Along the same time as Super Rugby as well?

Is there still plans for the IPRC to have Womens XVs and 7s as part of their program? Will push the depth if we have two national comps going.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought IPRC was concurrent with Super. Have I missed this - I thought W15 would be concurrent with NRC. I suppose it doesn’t matter in 2018 and could be adjusted later.

Women having the chance to move from one comp to the other would be incredible.

Edit: will shift the last comment ARU thread.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
This Super W comp is great news for the 15s game. It seemed to be disappearing behind Sevens and the recent Women's World Cup and the warm up matches against the Black Ferns showed that the women's 15s team needed a lot more regular competition. As we know with men, making the transition between 7s and 15s is difficult for the elite players to do well so expecting some of the top females 7s players to be able to just switch over to 15s and succeed has been a big ask.

For all the things that RA have got wrong their developments in the women's game with 7s and now this have to be acknowledged. Given the recent announcements for the female NRL and the WAFL comp there are now a lot more options for females in traditionally male sports, which is good.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought IPRC was concurrent with Super. Have I missed this - I thought W15 would be concurrent with NRC. I suppose it doesn’t matter in 2018 and could be adjusted later.

Women having the chance to move from one comp to the other would be incredible.

Edit: will shift the last comment ARU thread.

No what IPRC have stated is they will have a woman's 15 and 7's competition which will obviously be along IPRC team lines - this is separate RA competition....although WA team interesting given Force will be IPRC bound 2019 wise....and hence what this means post 2019. I think more and more it shows RA working with Twiggy to amalgamate post 2020....and no I don't think this is RA ruling the roost but working out for all concerned Twiggy is the Frank Lowry of Football and that Twiggy (read and his team moreso) will have major seat going forward at the top....I don't for one minute think Twiggy is any fool on knowing what he offers and RA will do bluff and bluster but they well and truly know it too.....as they stuff it up those who are RA behind the stuff up will be GONE...for sure..... Quietly confident things can move forward from here (with Twiggy involvement etc).....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Six confirmed bidders to host the 2021 Women's RWC, unfortunately two of them are Australia & NZ. Maybe we can get together & co-host? Hard not to see it going to England, France or Wales otherwise (Portugal also in there & good on them but surely a long-shot).